"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel

Started by Stolen, Sep 02, 2020, 07:24:59 PM

Author
"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel (Read 64,302 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Ridley Scott
Has the Alien, himself; the facehugger, the chestburster, have they all run out of steam?

Says the man who's apparently never watched the 'Alien Isolation' adverts.

I came to detest the glitch-ridden, AI-cheating gameplay, but there's no doubting the presentation style of that game debunked Scott's frequently aired assumptions.

It's like vampires and sharks. Can they be scary? Absolutely, they f**king can. And it won't just be one or two classic films people will revisit which feature them, because there are countless ways in which to portray them with serious impact.

Just because the material in which Aliens, Predators and Terminators have appeared, has largely been sub-standard, doesn't mean they can't be elevated back to - or even surpass - their initial few appearances. They need something well-written with competent direction. Nobody can argue the 'Alien' films have lacked for good directors, but good scripts? Good execution? That's something else.

And it's no good him declaring, in one breathe, that both 'Prometheus' and 'Covenant' were supposedly going to "scare the shit out of" us, featuring sequences we would allegedly find more disturbing than Lambert's demise, only to immediately reverse course and lament how doing so is somehow impossible.

D88M

I liked Prometheus. The deleted scenes should have not been deleted, and it had some flaws, but it was a good movie, and the cliffhanger was great.

I did not liked Covenant much. It starts great but the lack of continuity with Prometheus (this means, discarding everything from that movie at the point like it felt a whole movie happened before Covenant) and the recycled ending from Alien was not great, but like Prometheus it also had great stuff in it.

I dont trust disney at all, they buy brands just to ruin them, they did it with Star Wars, they did it with Marvel, and i am afraid they are gonna do with everything else.

But i do trust Ridley, and if disney let him tell his story, we could have a great movie, i know he still has the magic in him, and i really want to see the end of the trilogy.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 03, 2020, 10:37:29 AM
Quote from: Ridley Scott
Has the Alien, himself; the facehugger, the chestburster, have they all run out of steam?

Says the man who's apparently never watched the 'Alien Isolation' adverts.

I came to detest the glitch-ridden, AI-cheating gameplay, but there's no doubting the presentation style of that game debunked Scott's frequently aired assumptions.

It's like vampires and sharks. Can they be scary? Absolutely, they f**king can. And it won't just be one or two classic films people will revisit which feature them, because there are countless ways in which to portray them with serious impact.

Just because the material in which Aliens, Predators and Terminators have appeared, has largely been sub-standard, doesn't mean they can't be elevated back to - or even surpass - their initial few appearances. They need something well-written with competent direction. Nobody can argue the 'Alien' films have lacked for good directors, but good scripts? Good execution? That's something else.

And it's no good him declaring, in one breathe, that both 'Prometheus' and 'Covenant' were supposedly going to "scare the shit out of" us, featuring sequences we would allegedly find more disturbing than Lambert's demise, only to immediately reverse course and lament how doing so is somehow impossible.

I hated the Alien in Alien Isolation, i had to cheat to finish the game which of course killed the game, the AI was completely broken and after hearing so much praise from everywhere for so long i was dissapointed.
The Alien is not omnipotent, it was ridiculous that he was over on me literally all the time and there was literally nothing i could do about it.
I remember once i was under a table around 15/20 minutes because the thing would just not leave the room.
I would go to the bathroom, eat something, talk to my family, come back and it was still going around. Awful.

But you are right, the game had several problems but the presentation was outstanding, i would love to see a return to that aesthetic etc, and EVERYTHING can be fixed with a good script, any franchise, any character, anything can be good if it is well written, and the best part is that it does not cost any money (i mean besides hiring the writer of course), is all just creativity and talent, they just have to put the effort on telling a good story with good characters and the rest will flow naturally i think.

Fingers crossed that we get this movie and that disney does not meddle with it, at least one last good Alien movie.
And i would be nice to see a good Predator and AVP movie too.

LV-12986

I don't think they can do a whole third prequel movie without an alien, I mean one of the points of these movies is to tell the story of how the fossil in a chair with an exploded chest got there in the first place right?

dave1978

The man has been saying the same shit for 10 years.  He clearly does not have the stomach for it.  Hand it over to someone hungry and more talented who will do it some justice.

Master

Let him do his third act and then go with Alien in some new post A:R direction. Ridley is great at directing films but to make great one, as Hitchcock said, to need three things the script, the script and the script. Ridley needs someone to make good script for him.

Mr. Clemens

Kind of sounds like Disney just wants to use the word 'Alien' to release a grab-bag of movies about scary space monsters...

Andy capp

Seriously,  an "Alien" film without the Alien...theres plenty of mileage left in this franchise.

Alien 3, needs binning, and completely remaking.
Alien 4 just needs binning.

Prometheus was ok, as it showed that the engineers and the black goo were responsible for some evolution of the alien (deacon).

Covenant was crap...David inventing the alien is a really crap idea.

The original ship showed a "fossilised" pilot, who had apparently been there for years to be preserved, and "grown out of its seat". Also showing that a chest bursted had emerged.

David and covenant can not be responsible for this.
If ridley takes it down this route  he will kill the franchise full stop.

Corporal Hicks should still be alive, drop Sigourney weaver (sorry, but this film needs to evolve). There are plenty of actors who can make this happen.

Survivors, action, include some horror footage of the colony being overun,  sneaky attacks , go for the shock by showing women and children being taken.
Move on to hicks story as a survivor,  did the derelict ship survive the meltdown , has the company got any eggs.....you get the idea.....

ITS A HORROR FILM....not a wimpy story of meeting our makers...

If ridley can't live up to his original,  give the project to someone who can.

Evanus

Nothing needs "binning", just tell new stories with new interesting characters.

Oh wait, that's exactly what Scott was doing.. and now we're stuck here.

ACH

Bring back the Alien!!! I dont like this AI thing much.
A good Sci Fi alien creature film is the best!!!

Rush Hour Rambo

Every time he talks about the franchise my heart sinks a little further. He clearly isn't interested in Alien or we'd have had a proper sequel already.

He's had two forgettable attempts at movies without it when we could have put those budgets to actual Alien sequels. That's enough.

You know what the franchise doesn't need? An 82 year old director who isn't interested in the Alien.

Nightmare Asylum

He might not be interested in the horror elements of the creature, but he is very interested in the world and the "Why?" behind the creature's existence and how it relates to the lineage of creators and creations that he is exploring.

I think to say that Ridley isn't interested in making Alien movies is disingenuous. To say that he isn't interested in the Alien itself is, too. He just has his own set of ideas for how he wants to explore the baked in concepts of the franchise and I, personally, as both a fan of the Alien films and a fan of Ridley Scott as a filmmaker and his ideas in general, want to see his narrative here concluded.

After that, bring in another filmmaker to do what they want with the Alien. Knowing Disney, you'll get something much more traditional and close to the first two films then. That's inevitable. In the meantime, let Ridley finish up what he's doing and have his fun with his corner of the material here.

seattle24

Quote from: Morse on Sep 03, 2020, 12:45:06 PM
Every time he talks about the franchise my heart sinks a little further. He clearly isn't interested in Alien or we'd have had a proper sequel already.

He's had two forgettable attempts at movies without it when we could have put those budgets to actual Alien sequels. That's enough.

You know what the franchise doesn't need? An 82 year old director who isn't interested in the Alien.

I hear ya.

I'm relaxed anyway. I think the ship has sailed for a continuation of his story-path. I don't think it was necessarily slapping "Alien" in the title for Covenant that saw ticket sales and revenue plummet, there was a lot of mixed-to-negative feelings around Prometheus in 2012 (though critics favoured it considerably more than general audiences). I think if he gets part 3, no matter where he takes it, it will be diminishing returns. Especially in a post-Covid world whenever that may be.

David and AI is decent but that was the sole focus of both films. Is anyone really desperate for Michael Fassbender part III?

Personally, I'd like to see Alien evolve to TV. Series are so interesting these days and at your fingertips instantly. This or a movie where the antagonist is HR Giger's Alien design and it moves around all contorted and behaves like a...well, you know, Alien.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 03, 2020, 12:53:48 PM
In the meantime, let Ridley finish up what he's doing and have his fun with his corner of the material here.

I think finishing Ridley finishing up his prequels theatrically is indeed "doubtful", based on box office reception of Covenant and the downwards trajectory line it created. Perhaps 20th will allow him to finish it on streaming though in a small series if Fassbender was willing. That would be cool! That is if Ridley is still even interested in going there. Or perhaps he thinks David is cooked too.   ;)

Necronomicon II

Anyone watching Raised by Wolves right now will see that giving the man his final chapter is the right thing to do.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Sep 03, 2020, 01:17:10 PM
Anyone watching Raised by Wolves right now will see that giving the man his final chapter is the right thing to do.

Starting within the hour!

Quote from: seattle24 on Sep 03, 2020, 01:02:35 PM
David and AI is decent but that was the sole focus of both films. Is anyone really desperate for Michael Fassbender part III?

Yes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed