Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,099 times)

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 08, 2021, 10:17:01 PM
You can say whatever you want about David/Walter twist being far too predictable but  for me David being the creator of Alien was a real twist of the movie I haven't seen coming

It does have a poetic flow, Weyland creates David, David creates the Xenomorph. Weyland seeks immortality, David seeks a different kind of mortality, a new life form which ironically is hostile to all life either directly killing it or making it a host that causes death. That David is like Shiva the Destroyer, and Weyland like Ahura Mazda The Creator is very intriguing.

Kradan

Kradan

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 08, 2021, 08:49:19 PM
From a horror perspective the film was brillant

Was it really though ? Not scary at all, a tremendous amount of cliches and deja vu scenes in the horror genre, and done way better elsewhere.

Evanus

Evanus

The Neomorphs were proper creepy. Other than that I didn't think it was very scary, but it's still good.

Kradan

Kradan

Yeah, I don't really consider Covenant to be a proper horror movie (which is a shame 'cause I really hoped it would've been) in a traditional sense. I watch it more for an aesthetic pleasure and David's shenanigans. Implications of what that batshit insane android was doing these 10 years are genuinely terrifying to me though

I guess, there's some horror to be had in Covenant but unfortunately the titular creature isn't the source of it

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I'm not saying that Covenant is the best example of this, but I don't think it's a sin for gothic horror not to be scary. I see it as something aesthetically appealing and poetic rather than the usual spockiness and jump scares from traditional horror.

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 08, 2021, 10:28:25 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Jul 08, 2021, 10:17:01 PM
You can say whatever you want about David/Walter twist being far too predictable but  for me David being the creator of Alien was a real twist of the movie I haven't seen coming

It does have a poetic flow, Weyland creates David, David creates the Xenomorph. Weyland seeks immortality, David seeks a different kind of mortality, a new life form which ironically is hostile to all life either directly killing it or making it a host that causes death. That David is like Shiva the Destroyer, and Weyland like Ahura Mazda The Creator is very intriguing.

Prometheus rhymes with AVP, sometimes.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 10, 2021, 02:20:00 AM
I'm not saying that Covenant is the best example of this, but I don't think it's a sin for gothic horror not to be scary. I see it as something aesthetically appealing and poetic rather than the usual spockiness and jump scares from traditional horror.

Not unlike Guillermo del Toro's sentiments on viewing Crimson Peak as a "Gothic Romance" rather than a "Gothic Horror."

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Evanus on Jul 09, 2021, 02:32:51 PM
The Neomorphs were proper creepy. Other than that I didn't think it was very scary, but it's still good.

Exactly, when the Neomorph tore out of its hist in the med bay, I was horrified. It turned my stomach. I am rather empathic, so when the Neomorph tore out of its hist I thought of myself and it happening to me and that have me psychological scare. Like in Jaws, thinking about it happening to you amps the fear factor.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 10, 2021, 02:37:12 AM

Not unlike Guillermo del Toro's sentiments on viewing Crimson Peak as a "Gothic Romance" rather than a "Gothic Horror."

I thought that way when I saw Mike Flanagan's horror anthology on Netflixt. ;D

Anyway, could we agree that we have a group of unfortunate individuals being invited by a mysterious host to take refuge in a "dark mansion / castle" in Covenant? The kind of place where dark secrets are hidden. :laugh:

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 12, 2021, 12:07:41 AM

Think that way when I saw Mike Flanagan's horror anthology on Netflixt. ;D

Anyway, could we agree that we have a group of unfortunate individuals being invited by a mysterious host to take refuge in a "dark mansion / castle" in Covenant? The kind of place where dark secrets are hidden. :laugh:

https://i.ibb.co/hM7VmNK/Image-converted-using-ifftoany.jpg

Great parallel! I never considered Covenant a gothic tale.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Hey TQ I think this is your cue.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 12, 2021, 12:29:59 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 12, 2021, 12:07:41 AM

Think that way when I saw Mike Flanagan's horror anthology on Netflixt. ;D

https://i.ibb.co/hM7VmNK/Image-converted-using-ifftoany.jpg

Great parallel! I never considered Covenant a gothic tale.

From John Milton's Paradise Lost to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus

~ Better to Reign in Hell Than Serve in Heaven ~

"Alienation:

Frankenstein suggests that social alienation is both the primary cause of evil and the punishment for it. The Monster explicitly says that his alienation from mankind has caused him to become a murderer: "My protectors had departed, and had broken the only link that held me to the world. For the first time the feelings of revenge and hatred filled my bosom." His murders, however, only increase his alienation".

In addition to a lot of references to paintings by artists such as William Blake or Arnold Böcklin.

Muthur9000's Studio Yutani website was remarkably good at analyzing this movie.

Edit ~ TQ is remarkably good at analyzing this movie as well, as [cb] has pointed out.

City Hunter Yautja

Now I feel remiss, I read Paradise Lost and forgot that quote was from it. XD

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

"Alien: Paradise Lost" is even what Ridley was calling the film in interviews, before it was officially unveiled as Alien: Covenant.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 12, 2021, 03:34:15 AM
"Alien: Paradise Lost" is even what Ridley was calling the film in interviews, before it was officially unveiled as Alien: Covenant.

I wish he had kept the original title. Call the ship Paradise, which makes more sense for colonist ship seeking to make a better world.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed