BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

...And the letdown year... Prometheus, Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises...  ;D

Evanus

Evanus

All excellent films.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I don't begrudge people enjoying TDKR, but it's nowhere near it's predecessor TDK and thematically actively undermines it.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 04, 2021, 04:36:55 PM
...And the letdown year... Prometheus, Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises...  ;D

Quote from: Evanus on Feb 04, 2021, 07:05:31 PM
All excellent films.

Haven't watched Avengers but never heard anyone calling it a let-down. I can enjoy Prometheus if I'm in right mood and I freaking love Rises

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 04, 2021, 08:30:34 PM
I don't begrudge people enjoying TDKR, but it's nowhere near it's predecessor TDK and thematically actively undermines it.

No. So much no

I'll give you that Dark Knight is a better movie but saying that Rises is nowhere near makes my skin crawl

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 04, 2021, 08:30:34 PM
... thematically actively undermines it.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

So much, yes it's hilariously awful in places, and Christopher Nolan on the whole's ridiculously overrated even though I'm perfectly aware that's hardly an uncommon opinion.

The moral if you like in TDK's that of chaos versus order and the bi-partisan good winning out.

TDKR says no if you give the poor control they do eat each other like Joker suggested and... we'll need rich people and cops to then save our society from complete annihilation?

That's why Bane's character stops being compelling and making sense half way through the film when he's essentially revealed to have this moral code "Giving the city back to you, the people." that always applies except... when he's simping because without that, he's understandable and right, so they bring in a f**king bomb to make him unsympathetic and dumb him down into a cliche clown.

It's why the Talia Al Ghul thing does not work for so many people, it's the biggest symptom, of the film's self-sabotage.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 05, 2021, 05:00:44 PM
TDKR says no if you give the poor control they do eat each other like Joker suggested and... we'll need rich people and cops to then save our society from complete annihilation?

I can see your point about cops - but who are these rich people besides Batman saving Gotham ? Daggett is an asshole. Miranda turns about to be villain. I don't think Lucious is that rich. Neither is Gordon or Selina. And as I understand Batman has to be rich to afford all of his gadgets and vehicles

That's why Bane's character stops being compelling and making sense half way through the film when he's essentially revealed to have this moral code "Giving the city back to you, the people." that always applies except... when he's simping because without that, he's understandable and right, so they bring in a f**king bomb to make him unsympathetic and dumb him down into a cliche clown.

Idk, I liked Bane to the end. I don't know what moral code you're talking about - he made it clear that he's lying about giving city to people ("There can be no true despair without hope"). And bomb is a tool to keep people from fleeing. I mean, how else you gonna keep the whole city hostage ?

Hardy's performance IMO was great . Bane's such a fun villain to watch

It's why the Talia Al Ghul thing does not work for so many people, it's the biggest symptom, of the film's self-sabotage.

Yeah, that twist wasn't ... handled very well. I wish they've stuck with Bane to the end

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I'll agree to disagree but I think you get my point anyway.

Kradan

Kradan

Fair enough  :)

SiL

SiL

The whole point of TDKR is that the Dent Act basically codified a fascist police state that stripped away rights to make it easier to put people in jail, and all of that was built on a lie. It wasn't that "the poor" gained control and ate themselves, it was that "the poor" got out and ate the rich.

It didn't do a great job communicating it though so it does come across quite confused

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I find that common to Nolan movies given the way he frequently muffles expository dialogue to the point of being inaudible and/or unintelligible.

SiL

SiL

He's been getting worse as he goes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed