Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 389,374 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: The Necronoir on Jun 04, 2021, 05:03:08 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Jun 04, 2021, 03:46:32 PM
I don't recall Ridley ever mentioning Isolation.

That was cited as the decisive factor in his switch from "the beast is cooked" to guiding to give it another crack. Whether that means he had some direct experience of the game or was persuaded by the studio after it was resoundingly well received I don't know. Hopefully someone can bring up the relevant quotes.

Creative Assembly confirmed that Ridley Scott had never played the game.  Not surprising considering that octogenarians generally aren't really into vidja games. Might be that Sir has seen a YouTube vid but he has most certainly never commented on it.

What he did say was that he (or perhaps more likely the studio) looked at "social media" comments and concluded that the only issue with Prometheus was that it didn't have any Aliens.

It's very clear however that Scott was not interested in bringing back the Aliens, it was a studio directive.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 05, 2021, 02:13:03 PM
Yep, work its way into the suit, eat through a filter perhaps! Simple logic fixes like this across the film could have helped temper all the check-your-brain-at-the-door criticism it received... which would be fine if it was just a light popcorn film, but Covenant treats itself so much more seriously.

Yeah I think treating itself as if it was some deeply philosophical work of the highest caliber when it's full of goofy dumbness is the heart of the problem for me.

If the movie was at least more entertaining and less deja-vu a 1000 times elsewhere, it would have been slighlty less of a problem. But even that it does not.

BlueMarsalis79

I'm not arguing it's not an issue but I do find it more palatable when I stop viewing it as a realistic science fiction like the original film, and more as a gothic romantic horror story that uses space as the backdrop.

Evanus

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 05, 2021, 04:19:50 PM
Quote from: The Necronoir on Jun 04, 2021, 05:03:08 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Jun 04, 2021, 03:46:32 PM
I don't recall Ridley ever mentioning Isolation.

That was cited as the decisive factor in his switch from "the beast is cooked" to guiding to give it another crack. Whether that means he had some direct experience of the game or was persuaded by the studio after it was resoundingly well received I don't know. Hopefully someone can bring up the relevant quotes.

Creative Assembly confirmed that Ridley Scott had never played the game.  Not surprising considering that octogenarians generally aren't really into vidja games. Might be that Sir has seen a YouTube vid but he has most certainly never commented on it.

What he did say was that he (or perhaps more likely the studio) looked at "social media" comments and concluded that the only issue with Prometheus was that it didn't have any Aliens.

It's very clear however that Scott was not interested in bringing back the Aliens, it was a studio directive.
Yeah. Ridley still doesn't seem too interested in revisiting the Aliens, which is why I'm doubtful he'll direct another capital-A-Alien movie. If they'd even let him do a third prequel, they'd undoubtedly want the Alien to be a primary focus and I'm not sure Ridley would be down with that unless they give him enough room to explore other things. But who knows, maybe he'll budge.

Doubt he'll be interested in directing episodes for the TV show either honestly, but we'll see.

TC

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 05, 2021, 04:34:16 PM
I'm not arguing it's not an issue but I do find it more palatable when I stop viewing it as a realistic science fiction like the original film, and more as a gothic romantic horror story that uses space as the backdrop.

This is my point when I said I enjoyed Raised by Wolves so much.

If Scott had freed himself of obligations to the Alien story-world (obligations such as a serious attempt at realism), by rewriting Prometheus/Covenant so they had nothing to do with Alien, then he could have put that unique aesthetic that we saw in Raised by Wolves into Prometheus/Covenant instead.

This disconnected version of Prometheus/Covenant would have naturally created its own storytelling style (what Trash Queen describes in genre terms as "gothic romantic horror") and if that entailed a bit of the bizarre and irrational, then so be it. It would have been a feature, not a bug.

TC

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 05, 2021, 04:24:18 PM
Yep, work its way into the suit, eat through a filter perhaps! Simple logic fixes like this across the film could have helped temper all the check-your-brain-at-the-door criticism it received... which would be fine if it was just a light popcorn film, but Covenant treats itself so much more seriously.

Yeah I think treating itself as if it was some deeply philosophical work of the highest caliber when it's full of goofy dumbness is the heart of the problem for me.

If the movie was at least more entertaining and less deja-vu a 1000 times elsewhere, it would have been slighlty less of a problem. But even that it does not.

Yeah, that's definitely the heart of it to me too.

Quote from: The Necronoir on Jun 05, 2021, 03:56:57 PM

Carlos Huante actually goes over his own take on this in one of his YouTube videos exploring his work on Prometheus and Covenant. His idea was that the spores were tiny-organisms, resembling gnats, that would cover the explorers' visors like a fine powder. When they brush their hands across the visor to clear their vision they unwittingly crush them, releasing their acid blood, which slowly eats through the helmet and allows other spores to get in and infect them.

That sounds like an infinitely preferable idea to me.

Preferable indeed. I actually adore that idea! 👏

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: TC on Jun 05, 2021, 05:34:18 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 05, 2021, 04:34:16 PM

This is my point when I said I enjoyed Raised by Wolves so much.

If Scott had freed himself of obligations to the Alien story-world (obligations such as a serious attempt at realism), by rewriting Prometheus/Covenant so they had nothing to do with Alien, then he could have put that unique aesthetic that we saw in Raised by Wolves into Prometheus/Covenant instead.

This disconnected version of Prometheus/Covenant would have naturally created its own storytelling style (what Trash Queen describes in genre terms as "gothic romantic horror") and if that entailed a bit of the bizarre and irrational, then so be it. It would have been a feature, not a bug.

TC

I wonder how that would have been. 🤔
I guess basically Prometheus but without: Weyland, Space Jockeys aesthetics in the Enguineers and xeno-like traits in the creatures.  :-\

Sabres21768

Not sure if this has been posted before. If so, I apologize. 
It's got some fantastic vfx vids in it.
Including an incredible scene of what happens to the Engineers after David drops the mutagen on them.
http://www.animationboss.net/alien-covenant-visual-effects/

Immortan Jonesy

Evanus

5 years old now.

Kradan

Kradan

Dang. Feels like a lifetime ago

Nightmare Asylum

Alien: Covenant's premiere and Twin Peaks: The Return in the span of a few days. It was a lovely weekend in 2017.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed