ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 393,367 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 10, 2014, 08:05:17 AM...wouldn't it make more sense to include the guns from 'Alien Resurrection', or at least mention them?

Who says it doesn't?

Xenomrph

Because of how the small print on the Pulse Rifle art page is written, it acts as though 200 year old guns are the absolute pinnacle of weapons to use against Aliens, going so far as to list specific grenade variants operators should use for the grenade launcher (as if those wouldn't be historical collector's items 200 years later :P).

Or is the book overall from "post A:R" but certain parts are written from the perspective of other time periods?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 10, 2014, 08:21:44 AMBecause of how the small print on the Pulse Rifle art page is written, it acts as though 200 year old guns are the absolute pinnacle of weapons to use against Aliens, going so far as to list specific grenade variants operators should use for the grenade launcher (as if those wouldn't be historical collector's items 200 years later :P).

You've already answered that question. Pulse Rifles are what the fans want to see, not the funky guns from the fourth film (although personally I'd really like some info on those too).

Maybe the book will try and justify its choice of content, maybe it won't.

Xenomrph

Well sure, I was more of asking about the justification in-context.

If we were going to get data on pulse rifles with new full-color pictures and cutaways of USCM vehicles, personally I'd rather see a revised edition of the USCM Tech Manual - at least then all of that stuff would make sense in context without any added effort. :P

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 10, 2014, 08:35:28 AMWell sure, I was more of asking about the justification in-context.

Actually, having looked at some of the preview images again, the one for the M41A notes that "this detailed report was compiled... following a review of the USS Sulaco's mission to LV-426..." so clearly some of the content is meant to be historical in context.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 10, 2014, 08:35:28 AM
Well sure, I was more of asking about the justification in-context.

That's what I meant when I raised the question.  I just let it go to spare myself a SMackdown.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 10, 2014, 10:53:51 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 10, 2014, 08:35:28 AMWell sure, I was more of asking about the justification in-context.

Actually, having looked at some of the preview images again, the one for the M41A notes that "this detailed report was compiled... following a review of the USS Sulaco's mission to LV-426..." so clearly some of the content is meant to be historical in context.
Interesting, so it's a USCM report about Xenomorphs and how to fight them and stuff.

There might be some people that'd say that doesn't jive with 'Alien Resurrection's claim of "no other encounters with Aliens" due to its context.
I wouldn't be one of those people, though. ;)

David08

FREAKING AWESOMEEEEE :D

Homer

Never trusted Jonesy the cat lol

a Fan

a Fan

Thanks To HR Giger, For All The Sleepless Nights.
RIP Giger.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Interesting speculations... This book does go into Burke's motivation, and how much the Company did or did not know, and a little bit on how they operate. It's not all spelled out, but most fans will get the inferences.

As to the weapons discussion, remember that the report comments on footage/uploads/stolen files that the Company has gathered about this species. They (WY) have more information about the weapons used at Hadley's Hope, because it was a Company installation and transmissions continued at least until the processor blew; plus, the Marines would have received uploads from the APC, the drop ship, the Sulaco, and Bishop. There are newer weapons, of course, but they weren't designed to handle these particular aliens and have not been field tested... Unless you count the crappy guns that the USM used in Resurrection, which obviously weren't particularly effective (they are mentioned, though, briefly). This book was written post Res, and has transmissions and uploads and data from each movie's time period.

I did my best on details, but I'm sure not every question is answered, nor every pet theory validated. I am also a fan, though, and took this book quite seriously, and I hope that shows in the writing. Is it new forever-canon? Or free of mistakes? Not possible logistically, IMO. But it's a respectful, entertaining addition to the universe, and I don't think fans will be disappointed. Of course, I'm biased, I got to see the layout when I did the captions, and it looks very, very cool.

BTW, my dad totally never sang for Journey. But don't stop believing.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 11, 2014, 01:13:03 AMInteresting, so it's a USCM report about Xenomorphs and how to fight them and stuff.

There might be some people that'd say that doesn't jive with 'Alien Resurrection's claim of "no other encounters with Aliens" due to its context.

Just because they compile a report on how best to fight the Alien, that doesn't mean they've actually been encountering them. They might want to be prepared just in case.

Quote from: a Fan on Sep 11, 2014, 05:43:08 AMUnless you count the crappy guns that the USM used in Resurrection, which obviously weren't particularly effective (they are mentioned, though, briefly).

Glad they're at least mentioned. It would've been nice to get some proper details on them instead of just focussing on the ol' Pulse Rifle again (as much as I'm looking forward to that too).

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 11, 2014, 07:44:55 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 11, 2014, 01:13:03 AMInteresting, so it's a USCM report about Xenomorphs and how to fight them and stuff.

Just because they compile a report on how best to fight the Alien, that doesn't mean they've actually been encountering them. They might want to be prepared just in case.
The problem with that is, how would they know to write the report about the Alien, let alone any details about the Alien on which to base their report? Everyone who went to LV-426 is dead.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 11, 2014, 12:30:49 PMThe problem with that is, how would they know to write the report about the Alien, let alone any details about the Alien on which to base their report? Everyone who went to LV-426 is dead.

Given how quickly Bishop II and co. rock up on Fiorina, it's s safe bet they got some information sent back while the Hadley's snafu was going on.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 11, 2014, 12:30:49 PM
The problem with that is, how would they know to write the report about the Alien, let alone any details about the Alien on which to base their report? Everyone who went to LV-426 is dead.

I would assume the APC was constantly uploading data (including the marine's video feed) to the Sulaco, at least until it was totaled by the dropship. The Sulaco might also have a recording of the events in the hangar and possibly a debriefing by Ripley. Bishop might also have used his USB port to upload data to the Sulaco mainframe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed