Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Apr 15, 2017, 12:04:43 AM

Author
Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!! (Read 134,173 times)

SM

I think it was more to do with concerns about convincingly relating to elephant trunk ETs.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

Quote from: SM on Apr 20, 2017, 12:56:12 AM
QuoteThere needs to be an explanation as to how those eggs got there under the Derelict in Alien.

There doesn't need to be an explanation.  It'd be interesting to see what they might come up with - but as things stand, if it's left unexplained, it's not really an issue.

I agree, it totally doesn't need an explanation if the Alien is ancient and David isn't actually the creator. But if he is the reason for the classic Alien we know, then it'll need to be explained how the eggs got on LV-426 because David would have direct involvement in that happening, no?

Like I said, I don't think David is the creator. And if the Alien is ancient, I'm fine with never knowing how the Eggs and the Derelict got there because it can easily be assumed what happened.

acidreign

acidreign

Like it, love it or hate it, there is no question that the Engineers are intended to be the same species as the space jockey.

The scale difference between the jockey/Engineer in Alien and the suited Engineer in Prometheus is likely just due to Ridley & co. preferring to shoot live with an actor rather than go through the trouble with FX work to exactly match the scale of the original (which was played fast and loose to begin with).

As for future movies and how they deal or don't with the Derelict, who knows? It depends on how definitively David is being positioned as the creator of the xenomorph as we know it.

It's also very possible that they'll sidestep the issue of the Derelict in some way. We'll just have to see.

SM

SM

QuoteBut if he is the reason for the classic Alien we know, then it'll need to be explained how the eggs got on LV-426 because David would have direct involvement in that happening, no?

Depends on how things are left at the conclusion of Covenant.  If he did create them and there's some implication that Engineers are extinct (hypothetically), yes, that would create continuity questions that would need addressing.

SpeedyMaxx

My strong suspicion is that Ridley now intends to deal directly with both the alien's creation and LV-426/the derelict in AC and future movies, and that he'll use the same pat explanation for both: "David Did It." I think that's tacky and silly and far too overt, the idea of some evil android creating a monster and seeding the ship a handful of years before Alien. I think it's a bad mistake.

IMO all the explanation we ever needed for the alien or the derelict was in the original film and Prometheus. Ridley spent decades gabbing in print, commentary, interviews etc. saying flat-out that the alien was a bioweapon bred by the Engineers/jockeys that got out of control and contributed to wiping them out, much like it did the space jockey on LV-426. Prometheus backs all of this up onscreen by presenting another incident of widespread disaster that contributed to the same wipeout of the Engineer species; more bioweapons that were uncontrollable and helped kill them off. Everything Janek, etc. says in the film contributes to that same thesis Ridley has been pushing since the '70s. It was easy enough to connect the dot between what is uncovered in Prometheus back to events in Alien.

But when Prometheus got a mixed reception and Ridley was out of ideas for the sequel, he moved to directly prequelizing the original film and changing it up - now we have this new latter-day twist with David, and it sounds a lot like he is going to say that David made it all happen, not the Engineers/space jockeys. I think they're fixing what wasn't broken, and breaking it. I just hope they leave room to say David merely copied the creature the Engineers already created. It's all so unnecessary, but for hardcore nerds who love fan service it'll be a squeefest.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

If there are to be two more films after Covenant, there still needs to be at least two huge plot points in this overarching story. Prometheus introduced the Accelerant and the Engineers, Covenant will cover the creation of the Alien whether it be through David experimenting on Shaw or them being this ancient this that perhaps doesn't need explaining. So, we're at what exactly is there to be said next? I have hope we'll see whatever it was that created the Engineers yet. "And who created them?" I don't feel it's all that far fetched to think we'll be seeing that at some point.

Ridley already says that the Engineers didn't create the Alien. The Engineers seem to have the Accelerant - they wouldn't have any need for the Alien. So that leaves us with either David or something else. Enter the Elder Gods (I think).

acidreign

acidreign

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 20, 2017, 02:43:44 AM
But when Prometheus got a mixed reception and Ridley was out of ideas for the sequel, he moved to directly prequelizing the original film and changing it up - now we have this new latter-day twist with David, and it sounds a lot like he is going to say that David made it all happen, not the Engineers/space jockeys. I think they're fixing what wasn't broken, and breaking it.

If this is actually the case (I'm not 100% sure it is but it's certainly plausible) it paints them into an extremely tight corner in terms of prequelizing the original Alien. David will have to get ahold of an engineer ship after leaving Paradise at the end of Covenant and load it full of his eggs somehow. So consequently the Engineers will have to come back into play on some level.

I'd venture that it's also entirely possible they have more up their sleeve. Doesn't the article claim that Logan has a 10-page treatment already?

bunnyavpg

But when Prometheus got a mixed reception and Ridley was out of ideas for the sequel, he moved to directly prequelizing the original film and changing it up....

Or Scott has it all planned out and when we get to the final prequel all our questions will be answered.

GrimmVision

Quote from: bunnyavpg on Apr 20, 2017, 05:09:34 AM

But when Prometheus got a mixed reception and Ridley was out of ideas for the sequel, he moved to directly prequelizing the original film and changing it up....

Or Scott has it all planned out and when we get to the final prequel all our questions will be answered.

The "Alien Bible" seems to be a solid indication of where they're going with the films. As well as Logan having a ten page treatment.

Jonesy1974

I also believe they have more up their sleeve.

Its way to presumptuous and simplistic to think that David will be responsible for absolutely everything. Obviously he has and will have an influence on the proceedings but I expect the story to develop further in future films and I certainly don't see David being solely responsible for the Derelict.

Corporal Hicks

fernandito

Quote from: CoalescedChaos on Apr 19, 2017, 11:17:20 PM
There needs to be an explanation as to how those eggs got there under the Derelict in Alien.
mmmh, I've heard the Covenants cargoo makes for 2.000 frozen folks lol. That should make David very happy. A new playground to continue playing God.

Don't misundestand me I've always hated egg morphing with a passion, but I hate the queen a thousand times more

gantarat

gantarat

impossible that david is creator of aliens. don't forget that derelict on LV-426 was crash a least 1000 years and river of pain novel (canon) reveal that ship get crash because Engineers and Xenomorphs has fighting on the ship.

SpeedyMaxx

The filmmakers do not care about or acknowledge the books.

SiL

Hell, Scott doesn't even care about the other movies beyond Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed