First Prometheus Bluray Details

Started by ikarop, Jul 04, 2012, 05:13:59 AM

Author
First Prometheus Bluray Details (Read 74,740 times)

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 04, 2012, 07:01:28 PM
Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Jul 04, 2012, 06:40:56 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 04, 2012, 05:10:39 PM
I'm really surprised that anyone who out and out dislikes the movie will think it will improve for them with an extended cut. An extended cut won't show Fifield to have aspergers, or expose Milburn as a fake biologist. It won't show Vickers being decapitated or blown up instead of crushed... and we'll still see the proto xeno at the end... I sense those who don't like the movie are preparing themselves to dislike the blu-ray by expecting it to be a different movie - simply with an extended 20/30 mins...

I do have issues with a few of those things you've mentioned but one of the major issues for me was the terrible editing.  The shots flew by as if I was watching a 2 hour long trailer for what could have been.  I was never given time to appreciate the grand visuals and I didn't get a strong sense of atmosphere.  I really feel like this film wasn't made for the original fans.  It was made for teenagers who get bored with films that take their time and unravel at a beautiful pace.  This was a cut for people who are unfamiliar with the franchise, in the hopes they will end up buying this film and all the others on DVD/Blu-Ray.

You know when people say they could do a better job with something and it's not entirely true?  I've seen novice editing on Youtube better than this.

Too many scenes and shots were cut.  And as for everything else that did actually make it into the film, even those shots were cut down in length.

I'm not spending any money if the initial release is confirmed to have no extended cut.  But I'm not holding my breath.  It seems as if they felt that having a decent amount of extras would suffice for the film itself.
That's a wee harsh...

Maybe my Youtube comment was a little harsh but it's not entirely untrue.  What did you find harsh about my post?

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

They need to at least reincorporate the missing scene or dialogue piece between Shaw's c-section and her subsequent meet up with Weyland.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Jul 04, 2012, 07:19:01 PM

Maybe my Youtube comment was a little harsh but it's not entirely untrue.  What did you find harsh about my post?
The YouTube comment was the main qualm I had. But I do think there are several instances in which you could stop and appreciate the visuals, and in which the fast pacing worked very well for tension.

I do, however, share the general sentiment that the movie felt like it was short, what with all that happened in essentially two hours. 2.5 -3 hours would probably have been better, but then again, do you think FOX would have allowed that, what with the R-rating already guaranteeing less money than a PG-13?

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: robertmartin on Jul 04, 2012, 06:28:01 PM
Id love Vickers to remain alive - i just dont see it. Reminds me of that scene in Who Frames Roger Rabbit/Judge Doom.

They kinda hinted she might not be dead in an interview.

Gazz

Gazz

There will be an extended edition and I imagine it will be with this release. I just don't think Fox are at a point of announcing it just yet and it may be just the thing they are waiting to announce via Comic-con. After all every Alien film has had an extended edition, even if they had to force it like they did Alien Resurrection. Since they're pairing Prometheus with the Alien Anthology I don't see why they wont include a longer version of the film.

robertmartin

robertmartin

Oh no, i wanna have it under my christmas tree (even if it doesnt come with tons of goodies)

Ash 937

Ash 937

Nobody can be sure that an extended cut will be any better than the theatrical cut.  There is no way to qualify whether or not 20 more minutes will improve the film or just be 20 minutes of more garbage like the other 2 hours.

I'm going to wait for some critical reviews of the extended cut to come out before I even consider buying this at all. 

Gazz

Gazz

Considering that I already quite like the theatrical cut I'm not really expecting anything revolutionary, just something that'll give the 3rd act more breathing space and a better pace thus making up for some poor editing decisions. But anyone expecting a different film altogether is surely going to be disappointed.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: AlienĀ³ on Jul 04, 2012, 07:12:54 PM
If every member of AVPGalaxy signed a petition for an extended cut release... ;)

If every member of the forum didn't buy it, they would only be out about $500k USD [averaging it to $30 a bluray] at a retail level.  No idea how much of that Fox would actually see, but I am assume it is pretty small in comparison to the sheer amount of people who will buy it.

In the end fox knows eventually they will get some of our money. 

Gash

Gash

I'd have no qualms about buying it as for all it's flaws it's still (potentially) the best film I've seen in a long time, however, if it includes a deleted scenes package then that is something I really don't want to see if it's stuff that would be better placed within the film.

I mean, if a Director's cut came out six months later, I don't want to have seen all the new stuff already, but out of context. Made that mistake with the spoiler heavy trailers.

FUBAR1945

FUBAR1945

Quote from: Ash 937 on Jul 04, 2012, 04:13:43 PM
I saw the movie for the second time last night.  It's a pretty terrible film. The dialogue and premise are atrocious.  The "fatih" motif that runs throughout is also pretty poorly conceived (and it was done much better in Alien3 btw).  I just can't believe how so many of the right elements came together to make a film that ended up being this bad.

I won't buy any Blu-Ray version of this film unless it comes with a Director's Cut that addresses the shortcomings of the film and at least attempts to fix them.  You can't do that with 15 minutes of deleted scenes, imo.  How Scott was able to accept the theatrical version of this film for mainstream release is beyond my belief.

money dude, money.

ridleyscootcigar.jpg

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Gash on Jul 04, 2012, 10:27:12 PM
I'd have no qualms about buying it as for all it's flaws it's still (potentially) the best film I've seen in a long time, however, if it includes a deleted scenes package then that is something I really don't want to see if it's stuff that would be better placed within the film.

I mean, if a Director's cut come out six months later, I don't want to have seen all the new stuff already, but out of context. Made that mistake with the spoiler heavy trailers.

Interesting points there, Gash.

Looking back, the only Alien film who's deleted scenes we'd already seen prior to its Director's Cut/Special Edition/Assembly Cut was Alien itself... but in that case, the Director's Cut was a pretty major theatrical event.

Now, I like Prometheus too, but I don't think the film will warrant that kind of hoopla years down the road. So, based on the logic established so far, I suspect we'll either get our 'Special Edition' on this first disc via seamless branching (with the scenes also on the disc as deleted scenes), or we'll just get the scenes by themselves in the Special Features menu, as described. I don't think Fox will try to sell people a second blu-ray of the film with the deleted scenes we've already seen cut back in.

departedhero20

departedhero20

:o no extended cut  :'(ugh not buying the movie then. i left the theaters disappointed because the movie felt rushed and incomplete to me so not buying till an extended edition is announced and if not than >:( f**k prometheus i think the movie could have been a lot better than what we got. Personally i dont like lindelof i think he f**ked up this movie along with fox.

eyeballkid

eyeballkid

I'm not buying this. I'm not mad, I'll just wait for the "REAL" version. I waited for the Lord of the Rings extended version, and Avatar. Fool me once...

NGR01

NGR01

Quote from: Gash on Jul 04, 2012, 10:27:12 PM
for all it's flaws it's still (potentially) the best film I've seen in a long time

Seriously?
Whats was the one before that?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed