"Near the end of this century we’re in” - FX CEO Landgraf Talks Time Setting

Started by TheBATMAN, Feb 17, 2022, 06:45:08 PM

Author
"Near the end of this century we’re in” - FX CEO Landgraf Talks Time Setting (Read 24,440 times)

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Feb 18, 2022, 01:23:53 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 18, 2022, 12:02:46 AM
You would think nudging David away from being the creator would be something most fans would be happy about. I mean most people were incredibly unhappy with that development and were very vocal about it here.
If it does that then it's just replacing one bad idea with another. It's like suggesting setting fire to someone's house to clear a cockroach infestation - sure, you didn't want the cockroaches, but there were better ways to go about it.

I love that analogy

Local Trouble

[cancerblack]

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Kradan
He should play android called Gordon.

I see what you did there.  ;)

Quote from: David Weyland on Feb 17, 2022, 09:46:24 PM
I'd be disappointed & surprised if Ridley Scott would attach his name to this series & allow them to go on to trash his Prequels

Alarm bells started going off in my head after Ridley refered to the story as "interesting".

Corporal Hicks

Kradan

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 18, 2022, 09:08:57 AM
Quote from: Kradan
He should play android called Gordon.

I see what you did there.  ;)

Everybody always forget about poor Gordon, don't they ?   ;D

Kailem

I've never had a problem with setting an Alien story on Earth (even with the AVP movies), though honestly if they were going to do that I'd prefer they just went all-out and did an Earth War-style thing that could really show just how bad things would be if they finally made it here. And I certainly don't have a problem with moving away from David as the creator.

The thing that makes me go "ehhh" is that, by setting it prior to the original films, you're limiting yourself unnecessarily both in terms of the continuity you have to match up with and thus what you can ultimately do, and also in terms of how you can surprise the audience. Because, as has already been mentioned, no matter what happens in the show, we as the audience are going to know that ultimately it's all going to be contained somehow, and that it's going to end with the Alien still not being common knowledge to the general public, because that would literally undermine the entire point of bringing Ripley along with the marines in Aliens if it didn't. And that's not the sort of "minor continuity issue" they could just sweep under the rug.

Set it after Alien 3 though and you've got no problems on that front. Want to have the story go in a direction where the general public becomes aware of the Alien? Sure! Want to have them get loose and swarm all over North America, or at least imply that that could happen and make the audience worried about that possibility and those stakes? Go for it! Frankly I doubt maybe people would be as annoyed at possibly retconning elements of Resurrection than the entire original trilogy (and even there they imply that Earth is a complete mess for some reason, so there's still some wiggle room there if they went that route).

Do that sort of thing pre-Alien though and we're not exactly going to be shocked if it all ends with the major location the show is set in being nuked and/or everyone except the Company folk being killed off in order to cover things up and match it all up with existing continuity.

BlueMarsalis79

Might time jump from Season to Season but yeah.

(Noah Hawley's known to do that quite a bit as most know.)

Kradan

Quote from: Kailem on Feb 18, 2022, 10:18:53 AM
I've never had a problem with setting an Alien story on Earth (even with the AVP movies), though honestly if they were going to do that I'd prefer they just went all-out and did an Earth War-style thing that could really show just how bad things would be if they finally made it here. And I certainly don't have a problem with moving away from David as the creator.

The thing that makes me go "ehhh" is that, by setting it prior to the original films, you're limiting yourself unnecessarily both in terms of the continuity you have to match up with and thus what you can ultimately do, and also in terms of how you can surprise the audience. Because, as has already been mentioned, no matter what happens in the show, we as the audience are going to know that ultimately it's all going to be contained somehow, and that it's going to end with the Alien still not being common knowledge to the general public, because that would literally undermine the entire point of bringing Ripley along with the marines in Aliens if it didn't. And that's not the sort of "minor continuity issue" they could just sweep under the rug.

Set it after Alien 3 though and you've got no problems on that front. Want to have the story go in a direction where the general public becomes aware of the Alien? Sure! Want to have them get loose and swarm all over North America, or at least imply that that could happen and make the audience worried about that possibility and those stakes? Go for it! Frankly I doubt maybe people would be as annoyed at possibly retconning elements of Resurrection than the entire original trilogy (and even there they imply that Earth is a complete mess for some reason, so there's still some wiggle room there if they went that route).

Do that sort of thing pre-Alien though and we're not exactly going to be shocked if it all ends with the major location the show is set in being nuked and/or everyone except the Company folk being killed off in order to cover things up and match it all up with existing continuity.

I agree

BlueMarsalis79

Funnily enough, I get the sense that everyone but the AvPG staff feel similarly about this.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I'm a little surprised at everyone being annoyed at the Prometheus time-setting. Honestly, I don't think they were going to have a clean way to do whatever they wanted without setting it after Alien: Resurrection because AR will always stand in the way of anything happening after Alien 3. And the same ways around explaining anything set after Alien 3 away can be used regardless of setting anything before or between the other movies, so it's a bit of a moot point from my perspective.

And like I always said, while I appreciate the themes at play behind David as Creator, I still don't like it and I quite happily take this turning away from that angle and bringing back a longer history to the Alien. We'll have to see what they actually do with the Alien though - I could hate that for all I know.  :laugh:

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 18, 2022, 09:08:57 AM
Quote from: David Weyland on Feb 17, 2022, 09:46:24 PM
I'd be disappointed & surprised if Ridley Scott would attach his name to this series & allow them to go on to trash his Prequels

Alarm bells started going off in my head after Ridley refered to the story as "interesting".

I think he's going to love the whole consciousness download aspect of the series. With his fascination with mortality, I think that's right up his alley.

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Feb 17, 2022, 08:05:23 PM
Its either not going to have the Alien in it as we know it or this series is just going to exist exclusively in its own continuity.

I kinda feel like this is going to be how it goes down anyway.

BlueMarsalis79

You could have just sidestepped Resurrection, absolutely no one I know cares in the slightest even the people who genuinely enjoy it.

I hope it surprises me but, I'm probably by far Noah Hawley's biggest champion on this board and I really really don't have a good feeling about this.

Frankly anything other than Aliens being on Earth and taking us to a original Mad Max leading into a The Road Warrior or Fury Road type setting I find unacceptable.

It really makes them a joke if they can just be contained and neutralised in a particular area, and severely reduces consequences and the fear factor.

"You don't beat this thing, Ripley. You can't. All you can do is refuse to engage. You've got to wipe out every trace. Destroy any clue. Stop its infection from spreading. Make sure there's no chance of the human race ever making contact with it again. Because the moment it makes contact, it's won." -Henry Marlow

Kradan

Kradan

What pisses me off is that they didn't even needed to put that stupid f**king line about all the Aliens being wiped out. All that needed to be said is that they looked for them, didn't find any and eventually cloning Ripley just became a more viable option. Because, really, even if there're Aliens somewhere in vastness of space you don't just go find them unless you know where to look at

Also, funnily enough, Resurrection had the opposite poblem of one the upcoming series going to have - it was set TOO FAR in the future as opposed to NOT FAR ENOUGH

ALSO, given events of Covenant, there ARE some Alien eggs somewhere besides LV-426. Maybe not quite Xenos you would want but still

Immortan Jonesy

I love Legion and Fargo. I don't have such negative thoughts yet. I might change my mind once I see the trailer, or better yet, when I see the whole series.

Edit: I don't like Gordon. I prefer Ronald.

Kradan

Ronald should be a name of another Ripley clone protagonist though. Is there a female equivalent of Ronald in English ?

Also, Ronald MacDonald

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed