Alien FX Show Weta Leak

Started by anibo, Jan 23, 2022, 11:03:37 PM

Author
Alien FX Show Weta Leak (Read 23,101 times)

skhellter

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Cronenberg's still got it, IMO. Crimes of the Future was actually one of my favorite movies of last year, and I'm curious to see what he has up his sleeve next.

I haven't seen any of his son's stuff yet.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 13, 2023, 09:41:05 AMWasn't he pretty negative about Alien and accusing Ridley and Co. of plagiarism ?

I recall watching a recent video of him going through a video store and talking about random movies on the shelf, and he picked up Alien and alluded to it's similarities to Shivers. But it had a very much passive/joking tone rather than a overt accusation one. But maybe he was more harsh in the past and has lightened up on it over the years.
(As I was typing this I went and tracked down the video, Alien part starts at about 6:45 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veBhrS9Dkmk)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 13, 2023, 03:27:09 PMCronenberg's still got it, IMO. Crimes of the Future was actually one of my favorite movies of last year, and I'm curious to see what he has up his sleeve next.

I haven't seen any of his son's stuff yet.

I agree! Crimes of the Future was in my top 3 from last year, I very much enjoyed it! I think I read that he has another film that's going to start on production or shooting soon.

I recommend checking out Possessor from his son. Seems to be following in his dads footsteps in a lot of ways stylistically. I've heard good things about his film Antiviral too, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Jan 13, 2023, 06:54:29 PMI recommend checking out Possessor from his son. Seems to be following in his dads footsteps in a lot of ways stylistically.

Good movie. I haven't seen Possessor Uncut though.

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Jan 13, 2023, 06:54:29 PMI've heard good things about his film Antiviral too, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Whoa I need to cheched out that one too😲

Mala'kak

Mala'kak

Looks really cool, I hope they stay with this design or something similar.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It looks alright imo, and it's not official.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think you could argue that Alien definitely yoinked ideas from other stories.  I went out and bought planet of the vampires just because of how close I heard Alien followed it thinking, "thats bs no almost 80's movie is going to borrow from a 60s foreign language movie."  And boy was I mistaken.  The first half of Alien is almost identical to POV first half. 

From there it supposedly takes its cues from IT! The Terror from beyond space.

Alien really only revolutionized the creature design, and it's lifecycle.  The lifecycle actually allowed the crew to bring the monster on the ship vs it just snuck in trope.  Even the used future was done before in SW.  The realistic dialogue also helps it.  Alien was just filmed better than those other movies, had a better monster, better set design, more realistic dialogue. 

SiL

SiL

O'Bannon flat out said "I didn't steal Alien from anyone, I stole it from everyone."

The life cycle was the actual innovation of the story. Everything else is a generic monster on a spaceship movie. It was just executed better.

Kradan

Kradan

I thought the only genuinely original idea they had was acidic blood ?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 11, 2023, 10:45:41 AMI thought the only genuinely original idea they had was acidic blood ?
No, the face hugger and chest bursting was the real game changer. Acid blood was also novel for an excuse why they couldn't shoot the thing (most movies just said "bullet proof") but the life cycle is why Fox bought the script.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed