Possible Character Details

Started by RidgeTop, Nov 06, 2021, 05:38:32 AM

Author
Possible Character Details (Read 46,995 times)

Kradan

Kradan

But it ruins my childhood !

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 11, 2021, 09:34:05 AM
If the franchise name gets your interesting thing made f**k it I don't care.
f**k no.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Not too many examples of this approach being successful. Stopping franchise getting milked doesn't stop new interesting movies being made, on the contrary.

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 11, 2021, 10:18:21 AM
But it ruins my childhood !

It does kinda ruin Alien films for new generations. I'm super thankful I got to experience Alien as it was in my childhood. The idea seeing Covenant first makes me want to puke a bit. 

Master

Master

What's the point making new entry in existing franchise, that deviates significantly or even outright contradicts what was presented earlier. Isn't it better to make something brand new?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I personally don't look at it that way, if Prometheus had a good story, I'd be all for that kind of approach. In spite of what we got I still am in fact. As for first exposure. If viewed in theatrical release order like people ought to we have nothing to worry about.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Master on Nov 11, 2021, 12:46:29 PM

What's the point making new entry in existing franchise, that deviates significantly or even outright contradicts what was presented earlier. Isn't it better to make something brand new?

Because studios are bloody cowards and hate taking risks. So you might as well hijack existing franchises to tell new stories

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: reecebomb on Nov 10, 2021, 08:25:08 PM
Being limited is good for creativity, these rules (that I continue to be vague about, will try to expand once less busy) doesn't mean new ideas can't be introduced. But they have to add without destroying the core in the process. That's one of the more important rules.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 10, 2021, 09:48:05 PM
Utter nonsense.

.... said Fred Dekker and Shane Black.

;D

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 11, 2021, 03:57:39 PM
.... said Fred Dekker and Shane Black.
;D

what truly ruined that movie was cocaine, tho (and weird attitudes towards people with autism). :laugh:

absolutely f**king bizarre movie that goes from "this is kind of fun" to "f**king dire" often in the same scene within 15 seconds..

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 10, 2021, 10:24:45 PM
If limits keep silly shit like dance numbers out of this, I'm all for having limits.

Would you be down for a flute solo though?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Only if he wears half a facemask, but that might get in the way.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I take it that means this must be acceptable then?

Nightmare Asylum

The Obi-Wan Kenobi art shown at last year's Disney Investor Day (the very same event where the show was announced) just leaked online.

Crossing my fingers in hopes that whatever they showed/discussed (if anything of note) for this series when they cut the camera so regular viewers at home wouldn't be able to see leaks as well...

skhellter

skhellter

i bet that's what Hicks and co got to see.

ahem.

cof

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Not one for subtlety I see.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I don't think there will be any musical, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure Noah will know how to give it the right context.  :laugh:

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 11, 2021, 12:50:34 PM
I personally don't look at it that way, if Prometheus had a good story, I'd be all for that kind of approach. In spite of what we got I still am in fact. As for first exposure. If viewed in theatrical release order like people ought to we have nothing to worry about.

We haven't had a good execution of new ideas in Alien so far. Prometheus went from prequel, to almost prequel and then to an expensive 2 hours prologue for an spin-of series...before returning to Alien in Covenant. But I think that even for a spin-off, it could have been better with a superior script.

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 11, 2021, 03:09:30 PM
Quote from: Master on Nov 11, 2021, 12:46:29 PM

Because studios are bloody cowards and hate taking risks. So you might as well hijack existing franchises to tell new stories

One of the things that I respect about James Cameron is that he doesn't use existing franchises to exploit the themes he is passionate about today.  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed