Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 212,556 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 03, 2021, 07:18:17 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jul 03, 2021, 06:38:28 AM
Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 03, 2021, 05:25:05 AM

If it's not aimed at me, why quote me and not direct your comment at those who actually said the things you mentioned.
Because it's the point of the person you're talking to that you don't seem to be grasping. People can like the films for whatever reasons, nobody's denying that. But the political messages have driven their plots since day one whether people are aware or like it or not, and them now complaining about the series continuing in the same theme is stupid.

So it's aimed at me.

I can't grasp it? What can't I grasp exactly? I never denied any of the political themes in the franchise. Nor was I complaining about them.

So how about you quit acting allmighty and condescending.
Or just put me on ignore if you don't like what you imagined I said.

Because you are the one that kicked this back and forth off when you said "If you got a good movie, with a proper cast, a good script with well written dialogue, no one cares about a political analogy" which simply isn't true. It may be the case for certain people that aren't paying full attention to what they are watching, but should those people really be a litmus test for this? These inherent core political ideas are very much a direct component of that "good script" that makes it a "good movie," and certainly one of the core reasons why the characters and themes of the films still resonate as much today as on release – Alien is a stark portrayal of a corporate dystopia, capitalism run amok by companies that see people as nothing more than a means to an end, and people attempting to rise up and save themselves in the face of certain horror (I.e., the Alien) despite the entire system not just being against them, but actually actively sabatoging them along the way. That's all theme, yes, but it is also surface-level story as well.

Nothing at all that Hawley has said so far regarding the political slant of this series feels out of line with the previous films at all; his words just read to me as him getting the very surface-level ideas of the original films. Whether he handles these concepts well, nobody will really know until we actually see the series. But the irrational fear that certain people have of things getting "WOKE" all of a sudden just goes to show that people we're talking about, the ones you said only want a "good script," actually do care about political analogy... and that they flat out don't want it in their media because somehow in their heads they've managed to ignore every point that the original movies that they've watched and enjoyed all these years were making and now hearing someone cite those very points makes them uncomfortable.

That's what this conversation is. Nobody is saying that you don't get the political themes. What we're saying is that certain people not noticing the political themes doesn't mean that they aren't there, or that they shouldn't be embraced moving forward.

Voodoo Magic

Remember all, we're all Alien fans here. And I know we're passionate, but please try to avoid being antagonistic in our posts. Talk to each other, not at them! Thanks! :)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 03, 2021, 10:51:38 AM
Alien is a stark portrayal of a corporate dystopia, capitalism run amok by companies that see people as nothing more than a means to an end, and people attempting to rise up and save themselves in the face of certain horror (I.e., the Alien) despite the entire system not just being against them, but actually actively sabatoging them along the way.

I know too many people when you say something like this to them, they respond "Dude, What? Alien is just about an Alien!" And many don't get from Alien that all corporations are bad or capitalism is bad, just "the company" in the fictional universe of Alien as bad.

That's why I think subtlety is the key. You take what you want to take from it. If there are non-subtle lines of dialogue like "Capitalism is evil! All corporations are institutions of greed!", that's what often the other side of the argument wants to avoid and equates to being preached to, like probably the very nice woman owned corporation I work for which has treated her employees very well. :) But Alien hasn't done that, which is awesome, and that's partially why it's beloved by everyone!  👏

RidgeTop

Kimarhi

Ban everyone who isn't a Capitalist. 

Damn commies. 

Voodoo Magic

Yikes! Reaction articles to political pundits are now invading this thread!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Well, when the "political pundits" are the ones trying to re-frame long-established political commentary inherent to the very root of the films as some sudden "Woke agenda" and riling up the "Get woke go broke" crowd...

This:

https://twitter.com/RubinReport/status/1410808405413879813

Just reads to me as:

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 03, 2021, 12:50:41 PM
That's why I think subtlety is the key. You take what you want to take from it. If there are non-subtle lines of dialogue like "Capitalism is evil! All corporations are institutions of greed!", that's what often the other side of the argument wants to avoid and equates to being preached to, like probably the very nice woman owned corporation I work for which has treated her employees very well. :) But Alien hasn't done that, which is awesome, and that's partially why it's beloved by everyone!
What on earth is subtle about "crew expendable" and "That damn company! What about our lives, you son of a bitch?!"?

Or "you don't see them f**king each other over for a god damned percentage"?

Or Ripley's speech at the end of Alien 3 about the expendability?

Nothing.

The franchise has always been full of unsubtle jabs at corporate greed. And like heck nobody noticed, Weyland-Yutani became the cinematic poster child of faceless, greedy sci Fi corporations for a reason.

The Alien franchise has always worn its politics on its sleeve. It's never sat on the fence or tried to show both sides of an argument or beat around the bush. It has a stance and makes it known.

This feels like shifting goalposts. "These unsubtle lines are fine, but these ones are a no no!"

We're all 42 years too late to wring our hands about whether the political stance of an Alien story will be subtle or one sided.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 03, 2021, 02:01:52 PM
Well, when the "political pundits" are the ones trying to re-frame long-established political commentary inherent to the very root of the films as some sudden "Woke agenda" and riling up the "Get woke go broke" crowd...

I get that, but to me those pundits are just blowhards, and those reaction articles done (on both sides) are just articles of the lowest common denominator. But that's just me. :)

Quote from: SiL on Jul 03, 2021, 02:03:10 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 03, 2021, 12:50:41 PM
That's why I think subtlety is the key. You take what you want to take from it. If there are non-subtle lines of dialogue like "Capitalism is evil! All corporations are institutions of greed!", that's what often the other side of the argument wants to avoid and equates to being preached to, like probably the very nice woman owned corporation I work for which has treated her employees very well. :) But Alien hasn't done that, which is awesome, and that's partially why it's beloved by everyone!
What on earth is subtle about "crew expendable" and "That damn company! What about our lives, you son of a bitch?!"?

Or "you don't see them f**king each other over for a god damned percentage"?

Or Ripley's speech at the end of Alien 3 about the expendability?

Nothing.

The franchise has always been full of unsubtle jabs at corporate greed. And like heck nobody noticed, Weyland-Yutani became the cinematic poster child of faceless, greedy sci Fi corporations for a reason.

The Alien franchise has always worn its politics on its sleeve. It's never sat on the fence or tried to show both sides of an argument or beat around the bush. It has a stance and makes it known.

This feels like shifting goalposts. "These unsubtle lines are fine, but these ones are a no no!"

We're all 42 years too late to wring our hands about whether the political stance of an Alien story will be subtle or one sided.

SiL, it really is subtle. That's why you have so many worried Alien is "going woke" (a phrase I hate by the way.) All they see is a horror movie and action movie dealing with a fictional company that sucks and is evil. A lot of people don't apply it to their own world and as a political or ideological statement, made clearly by people's reactions. It not subtle to some, or to you, but it is subtle - clearly based on the reactions we are witnessing. Like it or not, many movie fans don't look any further than what's on the surface.  :)

SiL

SiL

No. It's not subtle dialogue, at all. It's one sided, biased, explicit.

The difference is it's part of people's nostalgia. If they heard a new Alien movie was going to be made today with an anti corporate agenda, with company directives literally saying a crew is expendable and characters saying "The damned company! What about our lives, you son of a bitch?!" they'd be rolling their eyes and crying woke all the same.

That's why you see them jumping hoops to explain why that was somehow fine and acceptable but whatever is coming next is somehow intrinsically awful when they do acknowledge it. It's intellectual dishonesty at its finest.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 03, 2021, 02:18:20 PM
SiL, it really is subtle. That's why you have so many worried Alien is "going woke" (a phrase I hate by the way.) All they see is a horror movie and action movie dealing with a fictional company that sucks and is evil. A lot of people don't apply it to their own world and as a political or ideological statement, made clearly by people's reactions. It not subtle to some, or to you, but it is subtle - clearly based on the reactions we are witnessing. Like it or not, many movie fans don't look any further than what's on the surface.  :)

It isn't subtle though, in the slightest. It is presented in explicit lines of dialogue, text on screen, plot-advancing sequences. If people aren't picking up on that I'd argue that their lack of perception reflects more on their inability to actually take in what they are watching (or their decision to tune out/ignore what's in front of them) than it does on the film that is very much outright and forthcoming in stating its themes.

And if these people are having a knee-jerk reaction to Hawley's comments – which he explicitly backs up with reference material from the films, mind you – and still claiming that this is somehow a brand new stance for the franchise to take, then I really don't even know what to say to that one.

SiL

Basically. People missing the point is not a comment on the film's subtlety, it's a comment on them.

Voodoo Magic

Guys, I know you feel passionately about this, but I just disagree. I absolutely see it as subtle and this Alien fictional world doesn't explicitly present itself as criticism of our real world. Only if one chooses to delve deeper in both Alien & Aliens, are there nuggets to find and apply to today's society if one chooses. And this is coming from an articulate, intelligent and well thought out person... well, at least I think so.  :laugh: Perhaps it's less subtle to one who already has adopted this perspective and more to those who haven't? That's probably logical.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 03, 2021, 02:30:08 PM
And if these people are having a knee-jerk reaction to Hawley's comments – which he explicitly backs up with reference material from the films, mind you – and still claiming that this is somehow a brand new stance for the franchise to take, then I really don't even know what to say to that one.

We're simpatico with that. I hate the knee-jerk reactions too. It's happening with Skulls as well and it annoys me. Can we stop pre-judging fiction based on interviews and synopsis please??? :P

Huggs

I always figured it was some rogue element of the company trying to get the alien. If it was any sizable portion of the company, they could've sent hordes of the most qualified and capable people to retrieve it immediately.

They still didn't have it after 6 decades, and action was only taken by Burke (and possibly just a few others) once he had the information from Ripley's debriefing.

TomT

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 03, 2021, 10:51:38 AM
Nothing at all that Hawley has said so far regarding the political slant of this series feels out of line with the previous films at all;
I'm pretty sure none of the previous films were about "spread the wealth".

The_Nostromo_Files

I want to see how people party, à la Parker...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed