Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 210,004 times)

Drukathi

I don't care about anatomy or unknowable SJ's motives and the like. But I want the return of biomechanical aesthetics: biomechanics, eromechanics, necrogothic. It seems that Prometheus and Covenant had biomechanical-style concepts, but then they were abandoned in favor of a stone and flesh. It's a real miracle that The Last Engineer from LV-223 had a biomechanical design.
Thinking about how Disney/Lucasfilm carefully recreated the SW OT aesthetic, I hope that Disney/Fox will also carefully recreate the Alien/Aliens aesthetic.

Immortan Jonesy

I miss the strange shapes in the prequels as well, especially in Covi.

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Dec 27, 2020, 01:01:50 PM
All I know is, nothing with an Engineer's facial anatomy (i.e. Human) would be able to see much out of that f**kin' helmet.  :D

Not very ergonomic for sure  :laugh:

The prequels helmet is even more zoomorphic than the original Space Jockey head.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Drukathi on Dec 27, 2020, 01:46:14 PM
I don't care about anatomy or unknowable SJ's motives and the like. But I want the return of biomechanical aesthetics: biomechanics, eromechanics, necrogothic. It seems that Prometheus and Covenant had biomechanical-style concepts, but then they were abandoned in favor of a stone and flesh. It's a real miracle that The Last Engineer from LV-223 had a biomechanical design.
Thinking about how Disney/Lucasfilm carefully recreated the SW OT aesthetic, I hope that Disney/Fox will also carefully recreate the Alien/Aliens aesthetic.

The lack of Giger biomechanics in Covenant's Alien designs was a conscious design choice. The idea is that David hadn't yet finalized his "Perfect Organism" and hadn't yet introduced (his own, perhaps?) mechanical elements into the gene pool. If we do get a sequel to Covenant, then by design the biomechanical design aesthetic will be making more of a return there.

As for Star Wars, I loved seeing the recreation of the Original Trilogy aesthetic in Rogue One, but it actually bothered me a fair amount in the Sequel Trilogy. It just made the ST feel stagnant. The Prequel Trilogy was always moving, with the sleek chrome aesthetic devolving over the course of the trilogy into the more hulking, gray, industrial OT designs. It really played well on a visual level, alongside the more explicit narrative of the transformation of democracy into fascism and the corruption of Anakin Skywalker. In the ST there was no innovation in design to represent and reflect a new political era or thematic intention; it was just X-Wings and TIE Fighters zipping around again because J.J. Abrams wanted to recreate what he knew.

As for this particular show, I wouldn't be shocked if they went pretty 1:1 with the intention of the original Giger Alien design, with some liberties taken in order to allow for more movement that the human body is incapable of (like what Alien: Isolation did) unless there's a conscious decision on Hawley's part to introduce some sort of biological meddling into the picture again to really change the nature of the design.

Kradan

All I know is, nothing with an Engineer's facial anatomy (i.e. Human) would be able to see much out of that f**kin' helmet.  :D

:D Good point actually

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Dec 27, 2020, 05:09:42 AM
Yes the original Jockey is so inhuman that it had 5 digits on each arm, err, like a human 🤣. All mystery is preserved with the black pathogen. David just decided to throw some peenies and vagins in the black soup. 😁🥰 Facehugger: two human hands, peeny and vagin; recognises human immune systems, proteins, etc. Snuggly. 🥰😘

Luke Scott: No one asked one very big simple question, and I was amazed at that because it was an evolution where you could certainly go into the next story by saying "What was the black liquid in the urn, which was the popular plot device that got the name, The Black Goo", I don't know where that came from but, it did, and er, there was this dark gazpacho contained within those ancient-looking urns, what was that? why was it there? wha.. and I always figured what my father had was a battle.... I used to call it "whatever fuking plot you want" soup.

Kradan

Is that an actual quote or you made it up ?

Immortan Jonesy

I just edited an old Ridley Scott quote by replacing the SJs words and stuff with the black pathogen.

Kradan

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 27, 2020, 03:11:07 PM

:D Good point actually

HUD?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 27, 2020, 07:19:21 PM
Luke Scott:

On this note, I wouldn't be shocked to see Luke wind up directing an episode or two on this series. I absolutely hated his feature film Morgan, and the directing on episodes 3 and 4 of Raised By Wolves was pretty generic stuff (along the lines of his work on the Prometheus/Alien: Covenant/Blade Runner 2049 viral shorts) that wound up getting elevated by the quality of the scripts he was working with. The directing in his finale episode of Raised By Wolves, however, was by and large pretty great.

OpenMaw

Covenant left me pretty much done with the series. I love the original three films. Covenant did things to the series that I simply cannot abide.

Earth and Near Future are inherent shackles. The big appeal in the original films is the exotic locations and hostile environemnts. Space stations, colonies, starships. Industrial, utilitarian.

We don't need to see aliens running around suburbia. It looks awful, and i'm really hoping this isn't going to be some kind of a detective drama or something with an Alien.

The only way to make the Earth setting actually work is if it's A. only where we are starting from, or B. the events are incredibly isolated. Otherwise you just trample all over Alien and Aliens. Which, if you're going to drop those names constantly, you better not do that.

I've said it many times in the past, but Alien Isolation serves as a great template to where you could take the series. Not specifically Amanda, but tonally and creatively. Outland with an Alien. A space station, deep space, between Alien and Aliens or even Aliens and Alien 3. Develop some good characters, make it a mystery series, and then have a great shift in tone at some point which has the Alien come into the forefront.

I'm not really excited. Until I see a deeper synopsis, a story breakdown, or even just some actual content, I'm not going to get excited. "ALIEN" just doesn't juice me up like it used to.

Kimarhi

I still maintain that Earth should be in danger at some point in the series.

That or a major colony takeover.

The Aliens have one W in the series.  ONE.  And that is Hadley's Hope.

How much of a threat are they really if unarmed civilians can keep blowing them out of an airlock?

Either make them a threat again, or just stop making movies/series where we pretend they are a threat. 

judge death

Knowing disney we wont get that but a lot of fanservice like what marvel is aiming for: familiar names and charachters will be shown or namesdropped, alien designs from aliens or alien and not much new stuff and happy endings where the civilians win and reboting same ideas we seen in the past but good and similair to what they did with star wars: tie fighters never change and we still have x wings in the sequel trilogy.

Doubt disney will try to be bold and do new things.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 27, 2020, 10:46:27 PM

How much of a threat are they really if unarmed civilians can keep blowing them out of an airlock?

Either make them a threat again, or just stop making movies/series where we pretend they are a threat.

I mean, their body count is pretty much in the high 90& by now. Most everybody we've seen run into them has died. The only time they really lost their luster was in AVPR and Covenant.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 27, 2020, 10:46:27 PM

That actually brings to light my one real problem with Covenant's third act: the second Alien. I think the third act would have been much more effective with a single Alien, rather than two. Thematically, Oram's 'son' is the one we saw directly interact with David and replicate the Christ pose, and it thematically embodies the theme of creation/birth running through the film. This is great and all... and then the Alien is defeated in the (excellent) set piece involving the crane. If I were calling the shots there, I would have had the Alien make it out of that encounter alive, and be the same Alien that somehow makes it onto the Covenant, and entirely skip Lopé's facehugging/chestbursting. Let the single Alien be the threat that is responsible for all the chaos that comes to be at the end of the film, rather than having two Aliens that each get offed pretty quickly and never overlap on screen with one another.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed