Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 211,987 times)

Nightmare Asylum

[cancerblack]

That was some really unsubtle foreshadowing.

Perfect-Organism

I'm really disinclined to derail Ridley's work like this.  He started the franchise.  The Engineers were not a dumb idea either.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 26, 2020, 09:01:53 PM
I really don't know why Scott has such a hard-on for explaining the engineers and telling us where the Alien came from, because for me, they were the two questions I didn't want answered.

My sentiment exactly.

I really do hope that they stay away from any deep-space existentialism about cosmos, life and creation and instead go for the less noble angle of government/military industrial complex corruption, corporate greed & opportunism, bonuses and the drudgery of colonists and company employees & contractors. More cigarette butts, mugs of cold coffee, yawny eye-gooped haggard space truckers and dark 'n' rainy lethally hostile other-world environments please!

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 27, 2020, 12:00:12 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 26, 2020, 09:01:53 PM
I really don't know why Scott has such a hard-on for explaining the engineers and telling us where the Alien came from, because for me, they were the two questions I didn't want answered.

My sentiment exactly.

I really do hope that they stay away from any deep-space existentialism about cosmos, life and creation and instead go for the less noble angle of government/military industrial complex corruption, corporate greed & opportunism, bonuses and the drudgery of colonists and company employees & contractors. More cigarette butts, mugs of cold coffee, yawny eye-gooped haggard space truckers and dark 'n' rainy lethally hostile other-world environments please!

Well, if there is one thing in which Disney has no rival, it is in releasing good nostalgia-based media and quality fanservice.

David Weyland

The point of a prequel is an origin story no?

You could argue Prometheus despite its flaws was an attempt to tip the scale back to something with more gravitas & seriousness after AVP2, to take back the Xeno from merely cannon fodder

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: David Weyland on Dec 27, 2020, 12:56:26 AM
The point of a prequel is an origin story no?

You could argue Prometheus despite its flaws was an attempt to tip the scale back to something with more gravitas & seriousness after AVP2, to take back the Xeno from merely cannon fodder

Well, on one hand:

☝ It is not impossible to do a well-written and well-executed origin story.

☝ A prequel doesn't need to be an origin story at all. Just a good story.

☝ It is possible to make a story about the Space Jockeys anywhere in the timeline: prequel, interquel, post-Resurection, etc.

I don't dislike entirely the drama and thriler built around the industrial future, the military faction and the Corporations.

Kimarhi

I don't disagree that the universe needs to be widened to be successful.  One of the reasons Star Wars always seems to be "in" is because the universe for that franchise is so huge with hundreds of stories being told about things that are often times only vaguely interlinked.  Alien universe writers UNTIL the prequels and even then in regards to certain aspects of the universe are STUCK on telling the same stories about the same set pieces over and over and over again. 

"OK guys, we need WY, going back to the derelict/LV-426/Sulaco to find one last Alien egg secretly left behind by a Bishop android.  Make sure to have Ripley's granddaughter and the Colonial Marines in to combat the Alien." 

I disagree with almost every aspect of Prometheus, and think Covenant is only a marginal Alien film, but at least there seemed to be an attempt to widen the universe and get away from the same stories being told over and over again. 

My problems with the prequels have always been the storytelling.

When I first saw scientist GET f**kING INTERSTELLAR COORDINATES FROM A CAVE PAINTING I knew the movie was going to be ass.  By the time the engineers head exploded I had already checked out.  To me it wasn't a deep dive into existence and creation, it was just a bunch of clowns running around making stupid decisions.   

The SJ should be within the Alien universe to give the universe some spice.  As should an Entity like David (the only good thing from the prequels).  But I would've portrayed the SJ as a malevolent force of nature whose motives would've been unknown instead of making them something so...........human.

The Engineers are just a bunch of big blue nba players with bald heads.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I would absolutely be down to see a 'new' take on the Space Jockey that separates them from the Engineers. Be they the creators of the Engineers or something totally unrelated that the Engineers sought to replicate in technology and design. Dounle down on David's perspective that the Engineers are just as much failures as humanity is.

I'm also fine with the Engineers and the Space Jockey remaining the same beast, as they are, but Prometheus did end with Shaw asking who created the Engineers and Covenant never followed up on that thread, so there's some wiggle room for exploration there.

judge death

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 27, 2020, 04:29:48 AM
I would absolutely be down to see a 'new' take on the Space Jockey that separates them from the Engineers. Be they the creators of the Engineers or something totally unrelated that the Engineers sought to replicate in technology and design. Dounle down on David's perspective that the Engineers are just as much failures as humanity is.
This! As me and others said: make the space jockeys into something mysterious and unknown force and origin unknown and just as scary as the xenomorphs and that the enginners are just seeing them as gods and trying to look like them, hence their cuits and designs try to replicate them. While space jockeys dont even have a humanoid shape but are grown and is very different than humanoids.
That would expand the alien universe a lot.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Well, until we know about the leg situation for sure, everything else about the original Space Jockey is pretty humanoid. Two arms, two eyes, etc. and the Derelict had a whole cargo of Alien eggs with Facehuggers perfectly sized for humans - which we know were also able to do their thing to the Space Jockey itself given the rupture in its chest. There are definitely Lovecraftian overtones to the Jockey, but it isn't quite as radical a departure from the human form as it is often made out to be. Which is why all in all I don't hate the Engineer retcon, even though I'd be very cool with a re-retcon that separates the two. 

As for the Alien, I find the connotations of David creating and shaping the Alien to be just about as interesting as the ideas presented in the original film, and with the Pathogen in play, there still exists the incomprehensible, cosmic raw material that spawns eldritch abominations behind it all; David, artist that he is, sculpted one particular form and created his "Perfect Organism" and, at the same time, the franchise burst open the doors to explore other wildly different tracks with new creatures, mutations, and offshoots as well.

Necronomicon II

Yes the original Jockey is so inhuman that it had 5 digits on each arm, err, like a human 🤣. All mystery is preserved with the black pathogen. David just decided to throw some peenies and vagins in the black soup. 😁🥰 Facehugger: two human hands, peeny and vagin; recognises human immune systems, proteins, etc. Snuggly. 🥰😘

Kimarhi

You can make something inhuman acting even if it vaguely resembles a human. 

judge death

Couldnt find the video explaining the ideas so well, was maybe 2-3 years ago but these two are similair and discussing the same idea:

Mr. Clemens

All I know is, nothing with an Engineer's facial anatomy (i.e. Human) would be able to see much out of that f**kin' helmet.  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed