Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 210,827 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Given this show's setting/timeframe, I'd say it is practically inevitable at this point that that detail from Covenant is undone.

I still stick to my guns and say, if this is the route that they do end up choosing to take, then we have to see David actually learn that he was unable to create, and what that does to him. That isn't something to just sweep under the rug and forget; it has to be his complete undoing.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 19, 2020, 11:12:25 PM
Given this show's setting/timeframe, I'd say it is practically inevitable at this point that that detail from Covenant is undone.

I still stick to my guns and say, if this is the route that they do end up choosing to take, then we have to see David actually learn that he was unable to create, and what that does to him. That isn't something to just sweep under the rug and forget; it has to be his complete undoing.
I'd be entirely okay with him still being able to create even if he doesn't realize he wasn't the first one to do it. Multiple discovery is a thing - you could still crush David's ego by showing him as not being the *first* creator while still preserving his "special-ness" that he's capable of creation at all. Crushing his ego could lead to his self destruction, though.

Local Trouble

What if they introduce castes?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 19, 2020, 11:17:36 PM
What if they introduce castes?
Well they're already canon, so it wouldn't really change anything for me. ;D

Evanus

It's unclear when "not too far in the future" is exactly, but I'd imagine it's before any of the films. Which doesn't make much sense to me, and not just in terms of what Covenant established. It doesn't feel right to have aliens on earth before the original film even takes place imo.

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 19, 2020, 01:49:23 PM
It's fair to say at this point that Ridley Scott will likely not have any creative involvement with the series, not like an executive producer would normally have anyway. But its good business to get his name attached to the series. It's a good credential to have from financing to audiences.

Please, may it be this way.
I finally want to see fleshed out characters and no rebellion of the machines theme.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Evanus on Dec 19, 2020, 11:37:05 PM
It's unclear when "not too far in the future" is exactly, but I'd imagine it's before any of the films. Which doesn't make much sense to me, and not just in terms of what Covenant established. It doesn't feel right to have aliens on earth before the original film even takes place imo.

Yep, I'm in agreement with every part of this post. That one one of the big turnoffs of all of the AVP shenanigans for me, too (the other big turnoff there being the VP part of AVP ;) ).

BlueMarsalis79

The main issue with AVP's its success rate.

Kimarhi

AvP would be fine with the right people.

It was once the best selling independent comic of all time.

It had two of the best videogames in the Alien/Predator franchise.

You just have to invest a little money into it and get somebody who is competent writing/directing to work on it.

Then don't try to tie it in with the rest of the franchise, just let it be on its own and be its own thing. 

Crazy Rich

And don't be like The Predator either.

Looking at you kid with autism plot convenience syndrome.

TC

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 19, 2020, 01:49:23 PM
It's fair to say at this point that Ridley Scott will likely not have any creative involvement with the series, not like an executive producer would normally have anyway. But its good business to get his name attached to the series. It's a good credential to have from financing to audiences.

My understanding is that the exec producers credit that Joel and Ethan Coen get for the Fargo series is for doing basically nothing. For the pilot they suggested changes to a few lines of dialogue and wrote one new scene. That's it.

Since the Fargo series was also an FX show, chances are it's the same story with Ridley Scott and Alien series. I.e. as you said, a nice marketing move to pull in the fan audience.

TC

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 20, 2020, 01:24:44 AM
Then don't try to tie it in with the rest of the franchise, just let it be on its own and be its own thing.

This is the f**king way ✊ 8) Just make a good AVP movie. At this point I would think the same about Alien. Prequel, sequel, who cares! everything is in execution.

TC

Legion might provide some insight. I don't know the show, but I understand it's an out-of-canon New Mutants story. There seems to be some debate about the degree to which it respects the original comic universe, and conversely, whether or not it has any impact on it.

Same with Fargo, really. The show is "inspired" by the movie, and doesn't reference the original characters or plot in any way. So once again, you could consider it out-of-canon.

If this is the way Hawley always goes about creating adaptations, it has obvious ramifications to Alien.

TC

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: TC on Dec 20, 2020, 03:22:42 AM
Same with Fargo, really. The show is "inspired" by the movie, and doesn't reference the original characters or plot in any way. So once again, you could consider it out-of-canon.

Actually, the buried money from the Coens' film resurfaces in season one of the show (sorry, Kumiko).

TC

TC

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum link=topic=64564.msg2499168#msg2499168
Actually, the buried money from the Coens' film resurfaces in season one of the show (sorry, Kumiko).

Oh yes. But i don't think it counts for.much.

Also, I can't see Hawley finding much creative satisfaction in taking over Scott's prequel story. There's an interview where he says he enjoys the Alien franchise and he singles out the first two, Alien and Aliens, for particular praise, just like most people. The guy is mid-50s in age, that means those two films hit him in his early formative years, hence, I would say, the reason why he's so keen to play in the sandbox. I doubt that Prometheus or Covenant would hold the same level of reverence sufficient to inspire him the same way. But of course, I'm guessing there.

Just some thoughts, while waiting for some America's Cup racing...

TC

Edit: I see that on IMdBPro there are two names listed under "writers": Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott, but I'm sure this is just a silly approximation until they get a proper crew list.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed