Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 206,325 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 16, 2020, 12:54:34 AM
The theatrical version doesn't put a specific date on it (nor does it mention Wal-Mart). The Wal-Mart reference comes only in the Special Edition, and in that expanded version of the scene Dr. Wren says "They went under decades ago, Gediman, way before your time." Lots of wiggle room there, I'd say (especially in the theatrical version of the scene, which I personally lean more towards if only because I find the theatrical cut of the film to be stronger than the SE).

Well, there we go!  8)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bug hunt wilson on Dec 15, 2020, 05:01:14 PM
Hey hicks random question why alien vs predator the hunt begins stop getting made was it do to them not renewing the licences or they just wasn't making enough money just wanting to know

Disney just didn't renew the license with them. Don't know any more specific than that.

Quote from: Stitch on Dec 15, 2020, 11:20:54 PM
Quote from: T Dog on Dec 15, 2020, 11:14:16 PM
Sorry if this has already been answered but is the show going to be canonical to the movies?
Don't know yet

Given Ridley's involvement, I would expect it would.

Voodoo Magic

What makes me not 100% certain about it being canonical to the other movies is when Ridley Scott said a few months ago: "Has the Alien himself, the facehugger, the chestburster, have they all run out of steam? Do you have to rethink the whole bloody thing and simply use the word franchise?"

SiL

He's been saying that for over a decade. Still bought the f**ker back for Covenant.

Voodoo Magic

True, but maybe he means it now.  :D

skhellter

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2020, 09:59:13 AM

Is his involvement even seriously confirmed?
In the presentation they said Noah would work alongside Ridley
but in the trades after the presentation most of them said Ridley was still in "talks" to produce the show.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 16, 2020, 12:15:23 PM
Ridley is very sure of what he wants.

But he's flexible with what he wants ;D

I've maintained since Prometheus' announcement that expecting a filmmaker to still have the same interests and sensibilities 40 years after a particular work is at best wishful thinking, and that getting Scott back had no more value to the franchise than getting any other good director. But here we are, with filmmakers still pinning their hopes that someone whose mid-30s self was really interested in just scaring people (despite the fact their 80s-year-old-self is really interested in existential musings) will be able to capture the same magic they did in their youth.

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I definitely agree that Ridley circa 2010s is a very different filmmaker than Ridley circa 1970s. And that is one of the primary reasons that I actually want to see him finish his prequel narrative, while also see the franchise continue to open the doors to new, interesting voices.

Ridley Scott (1970s), James Cameron, David Fincher, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and Ridley Scott (2010s) are all very different filmmakers, stylistically and philosophically.

That's one of the big appeals of the entire franchise. When I was younger I was a bit different in my mentality, but these days I'm much more interested in the individual ideas and concepts of the filmmakers than I am in strict continuity.

And on that note, Ridley's prequel vision is one that I find interesting and would like to see through to its conclusion. Hawley's take is one that I hope to also be interested in, as I do like what I've seen of his work (even though the Earth setting fills me with many reservations). I also maintain that the franchise is way too long overdue to bring in a female voice in behind the camera.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 16, 2020, 12:16:24 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2020, 09:59:13 AM

Is his involvement even seriously confirmed?
In the presentation they said Noah would work alongside Ridley
but in the trades after the presentation most of them said Ridley was still in "talks" to produce the show.

To our understanding, yes, Ridley is 100% signed on. The show didn't actually start active development until after that.

skhellter

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Dec 16, 2020, 12:22:15 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 16, 2020, 12:15:23 PM
Ridley is very sure of what he wants.

But he's flexible with what he wants ;D

I've maintained since Prometheus' announcement that expecting a filmmaker to still have the same interests and sensibilities 40 years after a particular work is at best wishful thinking, and that getting Scott back had no more value to the franchise than getting any other good director. But here we are, with filmmakers still pinning their hopes that someone whose mid-30s self was really interested in just scaring people (despite the fact their 80s-year-old-self is really interested in existential musings) will be able to capture the same magic they did in their youth.

I always personally interpreted his intentions as legacy building. What fuels the desire to become the George Lucas to the franchise? To raise Alien to the level of Star Wars or Star Trek? When you can feel your mortality, how will your work live on? In 50 years? 100 years? At some point all movies will fade in the large public consciousness unless it is reinvigorated with new content. Sucessful franchises are imortality.

It's funny. I was able to pick the brain of a half dozen young adults around 19 years old recently and none of them saw an Alien movie and only one saw the original Predator film once. None were very familiar with these "old movies" (their words not mine) but they were all familiar with the monsters thanks to the Isolation and Hunting Grounds video game.  :)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Franchise longevity, in my opinion, isn't really worth it if the series refuses to innovate. I'd much rather have something finite and interesting than something that runs into the ground, spinning its wheels and doing the same thing over and over. Or, alternatively, something long-running that isn't afraid to take risks and do something new, when the potential is there (and Alien is a series that I feel does offer that potential).

Which brings me back to my above point, and how much I love that the Alien movies keep reinventing themselves. That's the appeal for me. And Ridley Scott, with his modern-day exploration of legacy and creation through the lens of the Alien franchise, has really hammered that home while opening up so many various paths that future filmmakers can explore if they so choose to.

I do absolutely love Alien: Isolation, and find it to the best Alien video game experience by far, but I don't think that I would want to see something akin to it on the screen, since it is already so similar to Alien, which has obviously already been done on screen perfectly.

Bug hunt wilson

Bug hunt wilson

Hey hicks do they still sell avp let the hunt begin at their website I heard they do but when I clicked on it said it not secured and I didn't want my phone yo get a virus or something

Corporal Hicks

They won't. You have to find on the secondary market now.

son_of_kane

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 16, 2020, 12:52:01 PM
I also maintain that the franchise is way too long overdue to bring in a female voice in behind the camera.

Kathryn Bigelow directing Sigourney Weaver in an Alien movie during the 1990s (with a good script) may have resulted in a film on par with the first two.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed