Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 209,938 times)

TomT

TomT

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 03, 2022, 12:18:49 AMFargo's still an ongoing Anthology and generally rated even higher than the superb film that it is initially based upon.
In case you are no aware about this, TV shows imdb ratings are very inflated against movie ratings by at least 2 or even 3, even some CW shows have the same average rating as Blade Runner or Jurassic Park, they have completely different scale from movies.

I'm not denying that Fargo was very well received overall (but if you look at last season, it wasn't well received). But 2 TV shows is not some remarkable achievement. Andrew Dabb, showrunner of Netflix's Resident Evil show, was a producer and writer on Supernatural (with 8.4 average against Legion's 8.2), so let's not pretend that Hawley is some consistent sign of quality or A-list filmmaker, that Natalie Portman movie was beyond awful.

If it's Alien on Earth and they are gonna pretend it takes place in the same universe as first 2 Alien movies and before Alien, it'll give AvP: Requiem a run for its money.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

You may be right about the inflated scores of them versus the theatrical experience. Supernatural's trash that plebeians overrated for over a decade though. Fargo and especially Legion's a huge cut above. The first three Alien films actually, no mention of AVP's influence gratefully. Noah Hawley's made his admiration for the trilogy fairly well known though.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 16, 2021, 02:06:00 PMIt's not like Ridley Scott's never created something on par, like G.I Jane for one example, but on the strength of his other work he's still worth my continued interest.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 16, 2021, 02:44:38 PMIt's apples and oranges of awful. Point being, especially with this being a TV Series that I'm still interested on the strength of Fargo, and Legion in particular.

TomT

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 03, 2022, 12:40:48 AMIt's not like Ridley Scott's never created something on par, like G.I Jane for one example, but on the strength of his other work he's still worth my continued interest.
Ridley, as inconsistent as he is, never ever sinked as low as that Portman movie, G.I Jane is not that bad as far as I remember.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 03, 2022, 12:40:48 AMIt's apples and oranges of awful.

Point being, especially with this being a TV Series that I'm still interested on the strength of Fargo, and Legion in particular.
Well, I wish I was as excited about this as you, but it has so many red flags for me, I can't see it being good. They could salvage it a bit with good cast, but I really doubt about it'll happen when even the most expensive TV show ever made couldn't afford a good cast of at least some well-known actors.

BlueMarsalis79

It is both are nigh unwatchable.

I think you also doubted Prey if I am not entirely mistaken, starring a cast member from Legion, if half the cast of either Fargo or the aforementioned are in his Alien you then have a magnificent set of actors.

Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza, Hamish Linklater, Amber Midthunder all come to mind.

TomT

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 03, 2022, 01:00:42 AMIt is both are nigh unwatchable.
I can assume you have a big issue with G. I. Jane's premise or script, but unlike Portman's movie it was competently made and Demi was great in it.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 03, 2022, 01:00:42 AMI think you also doubted Prey if I am not entirely mistaken, starring a cast member from Legion, if half the cast of either Fargo or the aforementioned are in his Alien you then have a magnificent set of actors.

Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza, Hamish Linklater, Amber Midthunder all come to mind.
Prey is okay, Amber was good in it. I think I'd be okay with them, even though they don't come to my mind as Alien type of cast, but FX will most likely go for Amazon's The Lord Of The Rings type of cast, the cheapest cast possible, maybe they'll also add one not expensive veteran actor whose glory days are way behind him.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Both had strong leads giving it their all to an overproduced script, with multiple writers sticking their hands in the honey jar, something not an issue when Noah Hawley writes his own material instead.

Hulu's producing Alien, they produced Legion, that had all of the above actors starring and Navid Negahban and Harry Lloyd.

What's likely's that we see some of the above names, as Fargo showed he likes to reuse the same people from time to time, that I genuinely look forward to because I would love to see Aubrey Plaza and Hamish Linklater in it most in particular.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Noah did a wonderful job with Legion & Fargo, so I'm looking forward to the show, and I'll wait to see the final product before judging. I know the setting on Earth is somewhat controversial, plus with the focus on A.I. But when it comes to execution, in Noah Hawley I trust. 8)

Also, does anyone really expect an Alien show to just be about the Alien? I mean, you definitely need other tropes over there. After all, this is not a 2 hour movie. :P

TC

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 03, 2022, 02:29:25 AM...
Also, does anyone really expect an Alien show to just be about the Alien? I mean, you definitely need other tropes over there. After all, this is not a 2 hour movie. :P

Agreed.

Although even a 2 hour movie will commonly comprise multiple storylines (a.k.a. subplots). In fact, a 1 hour TV show, or a 1/2 hour sitcom even, will often contain an A story, a B story and a C story.

Subplots do a lot to give a story more complexity and depth. And I think you're right—this becomes even more apparent, and therefore a necessity—in longer stories of 8 hours or more like in a whole season of a serialised TV show. Otherwise the story is at risk of feeling very shallow.

TC

HuDaFuK

The only thing that's worrying me about this series is the apparent pre-Alien, Earth-bound setting.

Everything else I've seen and heard looks promising.

426Buddy

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 05, 2022, 08:01:43 AMThe only thing that's worrying me about this series is the apparent pre-Alien, Earth-bound setting.

Same

Some Old Dude

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 05, 2022, 08:01:43 AMThe only thing that's worrying me about this series is the apparent pre-Alien, Earth-bound setting.

Yeah, that's not at all a time period I'd want for an Earth set thing, unless there's a very specific reason for it.

Mr. Clemens

On its face it's such a clearly stupid idea that one HAS to believe they've got an ace they haven't played yet, which will make it all make sense. Otherwise why put money into a show that all the fans are going to reject? Wanna stay positive, but they're not making it easy...

BigDaddyJohn

Is it 100% sure the setting is pre-Alien though ? I mean officialy and definitely confirmed ?

skhellter

skhellter

the WY logos in the concept art are Aliens/Alien3....

Most likely it was just the FX president talking out of his ass.

Hawley himself hasn't said anything about the series' place on the timeline
(but post-Alien3 would make sense for a Earth bound story).

In 1979, we discovered in space, no one can hear you scream. In 19922024, we will discover, on Earth, everyone can hear you scream.

BigDaddyJohn

Pre-Alien earthbound makes no sense so...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed