Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 212,451 times)

BigDaddyJohn

Blade Runner's bloody fantastic.

426Buddy

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2022, 11:54:22 AMIf he does it using the same capitalist ideologies that crush the working class that Scott's films actively criticise and lambast - and he is - then it's not an endorsement.

If anything it's the surest proof the film was all style and no substance, if someone could be so inspired yet so utterly fail to see the point.

Thank you, then, I guess, for supporting my view.

Extinction is preferable then? No one else is working to push humanity into space like he is.

I don't disagree with everything you say but your attitude here feels undeserved.

BlueMarsalis79

And Blade Runner's absolutely superior to Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, not that the similarities are anything but superficial in the end though, they even espouse opposite philosophies regarding what counts as real.

Rick Deckard gets to be ambiguous because he's the audience, that's why he gets to be the only one to move between the upper and lower class worlds at his own leisure, whether he's a replicant or not's utterly immaterial because it's the question asked of the audience if they are subaltern or not that's ultimately the point.

"Would you step out for a moment Rachel?" That's the minute she becomes subaltern, excluded from the conversation of which she's the subject of, her voice in it does not matter anymore.

Roy Batty's whole fight's to be not subaltern, that's why he saves our protagonist to tell him a story before he passes, to pass on what he was in some tiny way.

Because often the final crime committed against an oppressed group's that they are made to have never existed at all.

Hence such focus on eyes and hands as our means of interacting with the world, class analogues in replicants twice being identified by their hand's resistance to extreme heat or cold over the more privileged, scrutinizing the souls of the underclass with the Voight Kampff test.

If that's no substance, I don't know what you think substance means.

And that's just the themes alone, to say nothing of the utter perfection in every other aspect of filmmaking up on display.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 16, 2022, 09:53:50 PMI'm mostly indifferent about Blade Runner. Tried watching it once or twice. Didn't catch on with me, unfortunately

I had to watch it a couple of times before I tipped toward liking it.  It wasn't instant love like it was with Alien.

To me it was a movie more about presentation than story, and it's influence is felt constantly in noir cyberpunk games, anime, and literature.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 17, 2022, 12:19:09 AMI don't think it's a coincidence Charles de Lauzirika's passionate about both Blade Runner and Alien³ and that his interest in Alien³ lead directly to The Final Cut's an often overlooked fact. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVarn-m7o9k
I'm reminded of one of my favourite videos on why I adore the film so much. @The Eighth Passenger -Thoughts?

I believe if Rick Deckard was more distinct it simply would not work.

Yeah, you can see Blade Runner's influences in Alien 3. I think @Valaquen did a very nice little article on that. Fincher also hired Blade Runner's awesome cinematographer, the late, great Jordan Cronenweth.

With regards to the video, yes that's just a few of Blade Runner's many levels they discuss there. One can go even deeper, like how each replicant represents an animal, Zhora a dangerous snake, Pris a sly racoon, Batty a wolf, Leon a bear. Tyrell was at one point during production, also a replicant and would have been represented by an owl of course. Deckard represents a mythological creature, a unicorn. One can see the unicorn in his dream, the tinfoil one at the end and in Sebastian's workshop.

But is Deckard a replicant? I think the film works best when that remains ambiguous. Unicorns are after all not real...

BlueMarsalis79

I think the Unicorn also works perfectly representing Rick Deckard being that he's both a replicant and not a replicant in terms of his place in the world.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 17, 2022, 11:00:59 AMPeople who diss Blade Runner reminds me of the kind of people who would look at a Jackson Pollock (...) and say their kid could have done it.

I'm not going to say a kid could do it, but Pollock is both trash and a CIA stooge.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 17, 2022, 02:50:50 PMTo me it was a movie more about presentation than story

I agree, and that on its own is something that I don't have a problem with in movies. In BR I simply don't like a lot of the presentation, and all the artistic choices I don't vibe with bring down the handful genuinely great moments in it for me.

SiL

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 17, 2022, 01:24:36 PMExtinction is preferable then? No one else is working to push humanity into space like he is.
1) Saying going to Mars is the only way to save humanity assumes the position the Earth is doomed and there's nothing we can do to help it, which is horseshit.

2) He wants to turn his Mars colonists into indentured servants.

3) This isn't actually a discussion about whether trying to go to Mars is or isn't good, just that Elon Musk doing it and crediting Blade Runner isn't an endorsement of the movie when he does it in exactly the fashion that the movie criticises.

QuoteI don't disagree with everything you say but your attitude here feels undeserved.
Sorry for not simping for a narcissistic billionaire who doesn't give a shit about people and is clearly operating to inflate his increasingly fragile ego.

We're on an Alien forum and people are getting upset someone is criticising Weyland, Jesus Christ.

BlueMarsalis79

It's your middle paragraph in your last reply that's sporting an undeserved attitude otherwise I agree.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2022, 06:32:03 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 17, 2022, 01:24:36 PMExtinction is preferable then? No one else is working to push humanity into space like he is.
1) Saying going to Mars is the only way to save humanity assumes the position the Earth is doomed and there's nothing we can do to help it, which is horseshit.

2) He wants to turn his Mars colonists into indentured servants.

3) This isn't actually a discussion about whether trying to go to Mars is or isn't good, just that Elon Musk doing it and crediting Blade Runner isn't an endorsement of the movie when he does it in exactly the fashion that the movie criticises.

QuoteI don't disagree with everything you say but your attitude here feels undeserved.
Sorry for not simping for a narcissistic billionaire who doesn't give a shit about people and is clearly operating to inflate his increasingly fragile ego.

We're on an Alien forum and people are getting upset someone is criticising Weyland, Jesus Christ.

I'm not upset about anything. I just think your attitude in this thread is sh*t. And from what I can see you're the only one that's angry.

Also I don't think our species is capable of saving this planet.  Expanding and destroying other planets is much more in our wheelhouse.

SiL

The only attitude is in the last sentence. Saying "narcissistic billionaire was inspired to control peoples' lives by movie about how it sucks when narcissistic billionaires control peoples lives" is not an endorsement of said film and absolutely shows the film failed to get the message across if that's the case.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2022, 06:52:41 PMThe only attitude is in the last sentence. Saying "narcissistic billionaire was inspired to control peoples' lives by movie about how it sucks when narcissistic billionaires control peoples lives" is not an endorsement of said film and absolutely shows the film failed to get the message across if that's the case.

Or that Musk is a massive egotist who probably took surface level shit from it in his youth, and actively chose to ignore the rest of what it has to say once he was an adult? I don't even enjoy the movie but I'm confused as to what you're even trying to prove at this point.

SiL

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 17, 2022, 06:51:54 PMI'm not upset about anything. I just think your attitude in this thread is sh*t. And from what I can see you're the only one that's angry.
I'm not angry about anything?

The Eighth Passenger throws shade at people who don't like the movie when nobody who disliked the movie threw shade at anyone else, but me not seeing Elon Musk being a fan as an endorsement is the attitude problem?

Come off it.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 17, 2022, 06:55:34 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2022, 06:52:41 PMThe only attitude is in the last sentence. Saying "narcissistic billionaire was inspired to control peoples' lives by movie about how it sucks when narcissistic billionaires control peoples lives" is not an endorsement of said film and absolutely shows the film failed to get the message across if that's the case.

Or that Musk is a massive egotist who probably took surface level shit from it in his youth, and actively chose to ignore the rest of what it has to say once he was an adult? I don't even enjoy the movie but I'm confused as to what you're even trying to prove at this point.
That him liking it is not an endorsement of the film, I keep saying that.

I mean the initial comment calling that line out was meant to be lighthearted but damn people really get upset if you don't like Musk.

[cancerblack]

Alright, understood. It just seems very anchored in the rest of your critique in a way I'm finding hard to separate.

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 17, 2022, 06:59:19 PMAlright, understood. It just seems very anchored in the rest of your critique in a way I'm finding hard to separate.
Rest of my critique of what - Musk or the film?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed