Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,084 times)

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 06, 2020, 08:17:11 AM
Tbh, other than wandering out onto the planet with no protective gear and immediately deciding David is totes trustworthy when he's clearly creepy as f*ck (I'm thinking of you in particular, Oram), I didn't think the characters in Covenant were egregiously dumb.

This I found to be particularly egregious, and impossible to suspend my disbelief for, especially after he openly models himself to look identical to Walter, which no one seemed to notice, let alone question.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 06, 2020, 04:31:49 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 06, 2020, 02:26:43 PMEver heard about Darwin Awards  :laugh:

You wouldn't expect those f*cknuckles to be hired as the crew of an important interstellar mission though.

Fair enough. Although real life has shown us that dumb people can have a lot of money and power sometimes  :-\

szkoki

szkoki

I posted the video for entertainment and it is for entertainment purposes mainly. Dont take it seriously guys.
The creator for example loves Event Horizont. Which let admit can be another guilty pleasure like Covenant.

Gaunchola

Gaunchola

reply  @ Oasis Nadrama

I think I ´ve read something somewhere , like  "... in movie theatres everyone can hear you scream ! "  So maybe it was just my lucky choice to better not watch  it  in movie theatres .
Find it interesting that you say you loved Prometheus to  death . For it wasn ´t exactly what I would `ve gotten out of it right after leaving me with that  " prequel expression over the whole face " , but  -    When  it comes to that poll I ´d list both of these movies well below the others  , 1 , 2 , 3  aaand ( oh yes ) 4  included . Why ? Simple . I thought that Prometheus would basically clear up some of the questions about the origin of these aliens , or at least be some sort of " type of alien like " contribution  to the other movies ( which when I was teen I kinda liked pretty much and still do) So when it comes to Prometheus , I really think it still was the better movie , but simply for the fact that it had some potential to , well , be set straight in the following ( ever so epic ) chapter . Though I didn ´t like that " prequel " moment , for a while I thought this was were things were going  . 
Rape culture , idk if I ´d say that ´s what it makes me think of exactly . But boy do we get a super implausible super heroine ( speaking of Shaw ) , by the time she still doesn ´t seem to be all too curious about why exactly she was full speed - pregnant - etc . And then literally decides to go ckeck out what exactly it is those engi guys do in their homeworld . " Your welcome ! "
Compared to such a lvl. of naivety the alien offspring ( deacon or whatever ) must ´ve been some sort of schmoozy squirrel hug me alien , after all ?  Yet , taking in account what size it already had after being hatched out of that huge facehugger squid , well I don ´t know . . .

Then , what else  . After having figured out that  Prometheus was  a  prequel ( which was true " nacho " moment giving me a good dose of extra saltyness for real ) , I still could ´ve thought of some good story which was about to unfold , probably . Something  like David having secret plans considering the engineers , ok , but also something involving this  deacon  , and for sure some sort of concept that could probably fit all of that mythology stuff ( think of the xenomorphs as some sort of bio weapon , ok , rather call it a nemesis just in case if a.s.o )
Something like that  .  Now , Covenant - does all of that . In a way . In a very stupid way  , and what have you . . .   -   All of this metaphoric stuff . Ugh !   David , to begin with , who turns out to be the lightbearer , the conqueror of worlds , the psycho prototype model formerly known as Ash . Aaaand of course he slashed Shaw ( it was time for punishment ) and no need to mention that he gave them gooooooooooo - as much as he could ( it was time for punishment ) . So , don ´t punch me - but I didn ´ t like Covenant , for several reasons . Not saying Scott is a butt , but this whole story didn ´t go that much further ( so *f**k* Blade Runner2whatever , hehe ) .
As one can tell , it used to be about the atmosphere , some sort of uncertain feel , or that marine trash talk , or whatever it was Lt. Ripley had to come forth with . Included , in both of these movies , not .  for example , have a look at the scene where these engineers aliens are running , like , they simply are in real big trouble . Hm . Kind  of  had  that , but , well . . .  :-)
mho

Gazz

Gazz

Following last weeks Prometheus episode we reviewed Alien Covenant on our podcast this week. As we recorded these two episodes nearly three years apart we felt we had to talk a little more about Prometheus too. This is also our longest episode (since we reviewed Terminator Salvation).

https://twitter.com/PopcornDigest/status/1291640099374092288

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Just rewatched this again. Man, the fanbase failed this movie.... Grandpa Ridley delivered.

Kradan

Kradan

Oh, yeaaaaaah  ;)

Though, I giggle every time Oram talks about "security protocols"

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 17, 2020, 12:08:05 AM
Just rewatched this again. Man, the fanbase failed this movie.... Grandpa Ridley delivered.

How exactly does a fanbase fail a movie?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I've no idea either.

If he'd delivered, people would've liked it. That didn't really seem to be the case. Fans seemed to be generally disappointed and Joe Public seemed not to care.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Hudson on Aug 27, 2020, 01:55:09 PM
How exactly does a fanbase fail a movie?

I was being hyperbolic, mostly - but I also found it to be the most thematically interesting thing done with the series in years and it is a shame that it failing the way it did likely means that things are going to regress and simply retread the first two films when the series eventually gets resurrected for another installment. The first two movies are phenomenal, some of the greatest movies ever made. But they already exist, we have them, and I don't really feel the need to see anything new try to recreate them (which is also why I found Covenant's third act, specifically the action stuff on board the ship, to be the weakest part of the movie). I really want to see where Ridley was going to take his ideas from Covenant and see how he was going to apply them next, but that's unfortunately not likely to happen now.

Kradan

Kradan

I'm with you on that one brother. Themes in Covenant not bad themselves but certainly somewhat "alien" for franchise - which IMO threw many fans off. I'm myself needed some time to digest them and come around loving movie as much as original three. I'm aware about "no helmets" and general "stupidity" problem but it's not something that makes me go "nope" to a whole movie

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The themes were fine. The execution was mostly uninspired.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

The only part I found uninspired was the actual Alien attack on-board the Covenant. That felt like a complete afterthought mandated by the studio to get some Alien action in there, and while there are definitely some fun setpieces in that sequence, it never really captures the sense that the middle chunk of the film gives off.

Everything else, though? Oozing with pure Ridley Scott, which can be great at times and middling at others, but it is his vision through and through, and I'll take that over, well, an entire film just remaking that third act, or Alien, or Aliens.

The stuff with David and Walter on screen together is especially great, and the film managed to retroactively really make Prometheus' narrative focus on "creation" incredibly compelling for me by shifting the focus to David's own twisted views on the subject. That, to me, really gets the essence of the Alien franchise (and pre-dating that, Giger's artwork).

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

This unfortunately created mental imagery...

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 27, 2020, 03:50:17 PM
Oozing with pure Ridley Scott,

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 27, 2020, 04:04:07 PM
This unfortunately created mental imagery...

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 27, 2020, 03:50:17 PM
Oozing with pure Ridley Scott,

He's oozing right our of those black vases, every step of the way. 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed