Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 192,093 times)

HuDaFuK

I think I might agree with that too. The legs on the original always bothered me, they gave it away as what it was - a dude in a suit. The inhuman double-jointed design looks much better and much creepier.

Perfect-Organism

I don't mind the double jointed Alien from Isolation.  I'm finally on the last chapter of that game.  What a ride!

Stompy?  Lol.  Is this name catching on like "Kane's son"?  That's pretty funny.

Corporal Hicks

I stole it from Sizzy and it's the name I will use for him. xD

tyrannosaurusjones

Yeah, I'm using the Isolation creature, but it's definitely not the only one. I'm double-jointing the heels on the ridged ones as well. I think Isolation was a pretty much perfect distillation of the original. I'm pretty sure that if it were made today, it'd have the double-jointed heel just like the one in Isolation. It allows for more perverse movement. You'll probably see the security space suits being used at some point too -- just because I love those designs and those helmets (the ones you see in the opening to Alien).

Here's some fun for you all...

RakaiThwei

Looks like Johner from Resurrection!  :)

KiramidHead

I was too busy running and screaming like a bitch in Isolation to ever really notice its feet in the game. :laugh:

Russ840

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Nov 23, 2015, 06:40:44 PM
Yeah, I'm using the Isolation creature, but it's definitely not the only one. I'm double-jointing the heels on the ridged ones as well. I think Isolation was a pretty much perfect distillation of the original. I'm pretty sure that if it were made today, it'd have the double-jointed heel just like the one in Isolation. It allows for more perverse movement. You'll probably see the security space suits being used at some point too -- just because I love those designs and those helmets (the ones you see in the opening to Alien).

Here's some fun for you all...

Dude, I am totally loving your work so far. So excited for this run to start. So you are 'Isolationing' the xenomorph from 'Aliens' ? Nice.

Perhaps you can come up with a logical reason for the difference in the heads. I'm sure I read some where that Cameron alluded to the Aliens age being the reason for the ridges. Kind of like molting.

Correct me if I am wrong but is this the first time, outside of video games, that we are getting both head types for the creatures in one story/feature/comic ?

tyrannosaurusjones

It is! And I've been a bit greedy in doing that, because I wanted to make the distinction clearer. ;)

My thinking was -- and I kinda drew this in on my own and got it cleared with the guys after (including Fox) -- that the ridged ones don't have fully functioning "brains". Whatever organ they have in there is reliant on a smarter creature (like a queen) and has a hive mind thing going on. An alien born into isolation that isn't immediately a queen needs to be able to think for itself -- like the Big Chap -- so the "brain" is bigger, more functional. These ones are capable of egg-morphing to propagate their species -- again in lieu of a queen -- but are also capable of "commanding" the ridged ones the same way a queen can. Without something smart around, they're erratic.

BUT, just because smart ones evolve in isolation, that doesn't mean (in my mind) that that's the ONLY way they come about, and that's why you see multiples in Isolation. It could even be particular breeding stock -- particular eggs or DNA triggers -- pushed by the Engineers (assuming they created these things or had some hand in their development).

Bottom line, I've basically reversed the usual train of thought -- the "warriors" as they've been known for such a long time are the "drones". They're mindless killing machines, but the "Big Chaps"/"Beasts" are the calculating ones.

I don't want to say too much more, because there'll be talk in the comics, but that's the basic gist of it all. I do love the design of the "spitter" aliens from Colonial Marines, so there's a SLIM chance I might get a refined version of that in there somehow, and I'm sorta kinda really hoping I can get a quadrupedal alien in there too...

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Nov 23, 2015, 10:49:43 PM
It is! And I've been a bit greedy in doing that, because I wanted to make the distinction clearer. ;)

My thinking was -- and I kinda drew this in on my own and got it cleared with the guys after (including Fox) -- that the ridged ones don't have fully functioning "brains". Whatever organ they have in there is reliant on a smarter creature (like a queen) and has a hive mind thing going on. An alien born into isolation that isn't immediately a queen needs to be able to think for itself -- like the Big Chap -- so the "brain" is bigger, more functional. These ones are capable of egg-morphing to propagate their species -- again in lieu of a queen -- but are also capable of "commanding" the ridged ones the same way a queen can. Without something smart around, they're erratic.

BUT, just because smart ones evolve in isolation, that doesn't mean (in my mind) that that's the ONLY way they come about, and that's why you see multiples in Isolation. It could even be particular breeding stock -- particular eggs or DNA triggers -- pushed by the Engineers (assuming they created these things or had some hand in their development).

Bottom line, I've basically reversed the usual train of thought -- the "warriors" as they've been known for such a long time are the "drones". They're mindless killing machines, but the "Big Chaps"/"Beasts" are the calculating ones.

I don't want to say too much more, because there'll be talk in the comics, but that's the basic gist of it all. I do love the design of the "spitter" aliens from Colonial Marines, so there's a SLIM chance I might get a refined version of that in there somehow, and I'm sorta kinda really hoping I can get a quadrupedal alien in there too...

Man, I like the way you think. Can't wait to get this.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

I think this quote should basically be front-page news.  I've never quite heard it explained like this and it is a pretty cool idea.  It rather explains the different movements of the ridged and domed Aliens in the films.  The Alien in Alien seemed to move more methodically and silently stalked its prey while the Aliens in Aliens were basically berserkers that went full tilt.

Quadrupedal Aliens would be cool too as long as they don't go into Bull-Alien territory.  Some of that Colonial Marines stuff was a bit over the top.  But the Alien from Alien 3 which was quadrupedal at first was really cool.  That was a design worth keeping even though I am on the side of the fence that hopes that film will be retconned.

Not sure how Johner fits into the story... ;)

Russ840

Nice dude. This is a cool idea. It would also give a decent reason behind the ridged ones being cannon fodder.

I'm glad to here that there will be this type of talk in the actual comic. I find the Psuedo science really interesting.  That was what made Aliens: Labyrinth so complelling, to me.

Would be grate off you could come up with a decent retcon to include the 'Dog Alien' or 'Runner'. I fact, they tend to spit acid in most incarnations. I'm sure it did in the movie and definatly did in AVP 2010. 

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 24, 2015, 12:06:06 AM
Not sure how Johner fits into the story... ;)

I do believe that's just Tristan playing.

I love the idea of seeing the Runner's in here. One of the things I loved about Peter Briggs' AvP was that he had multiple hybrids together in one scene and that would have been so amazing to see on the screen. I love the notion of having the smooth and ridged headed Aliens together and would love to see more thrown in there.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 23, 2015, 10:02:35 PM
I was too busy running and screaming like a bitch in Isolation to ever really notice its feet in the game. :laugh:

When Dachande and I visited Creative Assembly, they showed off Stompy in Isolation doing his thing. They had him pulling turns and moved that just looked so awesome with the digigrade legs. That was the moment I went - "Yeah, that works so much better and I love it!"

HuDaFuK

Corporal Hicks

"#‎behindthescenes‬: Detailing a ‪#‎space‬ station and the ‪#‎model‬ I built as reference. Based on the Gateway Station from ‪#‎ALIENS‬"

proto leech

I'm liking you more and more.

This idea should be set in stone canon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed