"Near the end of this century we’re in” - FX CEO Landgraf Talks Time Setting

Started by TheBATMAN, Feb 17, 2022, 06:45:08 PM

Author
"Near the end of this century we’re in” - FX CEO Landgraf Talks Time Setting (Read 23,672 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Kimarhi

Setting it on future earth is still better than setting it on present earth.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 18, 2022, 06:10:03 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 18, 2022, 03:13:48 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 17, 2022, 06:54:39 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Feb 17, 2022, 06:45:08 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2022/02/alien-fx-series-sigourney-weaver-ripley-1234955817/amp/

Takes place around the same time as Prometheus.

It's going to take place before David created the aliens?

David did not create the Aliens.

Because Ozymandias?
Among other reasons.

If the new series is going to recontextualize Alien Covenant and throw the "David is the creator" nonsense in the trash, that's absolutely a good thing.

Kradan

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 19, 2022, 12:43:36 AM
Setting it on future earth is still better than setting it on present earth.

Well, flu is better than cancer, sure. It's still a flu

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: DaveT937 on Feb 18, 2022, 10:17:12 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 18, 2022, 04:57:12 PM
They should just have let Ridley do the third and last prequel and let him put David in the jockey suit so that we can all have peace and harmony in Alien fandom land.
No. No they shouldn't. There would be no 'peace and harmony in Alien fandom land' if that's the route they go down. There would be total and utter f**king anarchy.

I was joking of course.

I believe the Corporal is on record as saying he'll be quitting the fandom if that happens.  :laugh:

Kradan

Kradan

I don't belive him in the slightest. This site already survived a shutdown, no biggie

Kradan

And then watch next Alex White book drag him back in. There's no escaping darkness, embrace it !

David Weyland

David Weyland

For all we know this series' agenda could possibly be a build up to dovetailing into Ridley's third prequel with a slow burn on Earth the first few episodes for world building etc

To have it set in and around the time the Prometheus is on its way to LV223 makes me wonder if that's the plan

So I wouldn't rule out the prequel story of David as creator (of at least the lv426 xenos) as being retconned just yet

They could make something truly engaging if it lead up into the third prequel somehow rather than just muddying the waters with what might be an enjoyable sure but an unrelated retake just to celebrate the Monster if you will at the expense of anything connected

That is ok for a series but what then?
You'd still have the Covenant floating unresolved in perpetuity on its way to Orgiae 6.
Could easily write the two most recent Alien films out in a script but that would be an admission of failure that I don't think the prequels quite deserve and would damage the franchise regardless of whether you like them or not, so I'm not too worried about this series changing the lore because I think the respect will be there not to or at least tie into them(As same time period) to do so and thus if successful, lead back into another film

PS. It'll probably be about a down on his luck cyborg dude who finds an urn of black goo in a cave in Thailand and takes it home to Eastern Europe and turns into a Xeno, kills a few people, site nuked from orbit. The end

DaveT937

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 19, 2022, 11:00:28 AM
Quote from: DaveT937 on Feb 18, 2022, 10:17:12 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 18, 2022, 04:57:12 PM
They should just have let Ridley do the third and last prequel and let him put David in the jockey suit so that we can all have peace and harmony in Alien fandom land.
No. No they shouldn't. There would be no 'peace and harmony in Alien fandom land' if that's the route they go down. There would be total and utter f**king anarchy.

I was joking of course.

I believe the Corporal is on record as saying he'll be quitting the fandom if that happens.  :laugh:
Sincere apologies. It was lost on me last night as I'd had a bit to drink! Ha!

BlueMarsalis79

Things don't bloody need to be connected though.

Local Trouble

Doesn't Hawley tend to connect things though?

BlueMarsalis79

Local Trouble

His TV shows to the movies they're based on.  Don't the events from Fargo the movie happen in Fargo the series?  Same for the Fox X-Men movies and Legion?

Nightmare Asylum

The first season of Fargo (the only one I've seen, mind you) does connect to the Coen Brothers' film:

Spoiler
The money that is buried in the movie resurfaces in the show.
[close]

I can't yet speak for later seasons, or for Legion and any direct connections that may or may not have with the various X-Men movies.

As for this show, it seems like it is being pretty directly billed as a story set before Alien, and thus placing it within the same continuity as the films (albeit with no direct word yet on whether it is running parallel to [and retconning parts of?] the prequel films, or flat out knocking them out of continuity), but outside of the presence of the Aliens (and maybe Engineers/Space Jockeys?) and Weyland-Yutani, I can't imagine anything in this late 21st century Earth setting that would directly link up with events, characters, etc. from the original film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed