"Near the end of this century we’re in” - FX CEO Landgraf Talks Time Setting

Started by TheBATMAN, Feb 17, 2022, 06:45:08 PM

Author
"Near the end of this century we’re in” - FX CEO Landgraf Talks Time Setting (Read 24,526 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 18, 2022, 01:36:20 PMWe'll have to see what they actually do with the Alien though - I could hate that for all I know.  :laugh:

I fully expect them to tweak the design beyond all recognition and then call the fans toxic for hating it.

Kradan

Corporal Hicks

I was talking narratively there - but yeah, we'll see what WETA does.

Local Trouble

I fully expect them to tweak the lore beyond all recognition and then call the fans toxic for hating it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

They should just have let Ridley do the third and last prequel and let him put David in the jockey suit so that we can all have peace and harmony in Alien fandom land.

Adam802

Setting it on Earth before the 1st film is stupid and contrived.

Immortan Jonesy

The mere fact that this can be reviewed by Red Letter Media justifies the existence of the series.

Kradan

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 18, 2022, 04:57:12 PM
They should just have let Ridley do the third and last prequel and let him put David in the jockey suit so that we can all have peace and harmony in Alien fandom land.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYEYSYEYEESYEEYSYEESYSEYSYESY

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 18, 2022, 05:17:34 PM
The mere fact that this can be reviewed by Red Letter Media justifies the existence of the series.

Sold

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kailem on Feb 18, 2022, 10:18:53 AM
The thing that makes me go "ehhh" is that, by setting it prior to the original films, you're limiting yourself unnecessarily both in terms of the continuity you have to match up with and thus what you can ultimately do, and also in terms of how you can surprise the audience. Because, as has already been mentioned, no matter what happens in the show, we as the audience are going to know that ultimately it's all going to be contained somehow, and that it's going to end with the Alien still not being common knowledge to the general public, because that would literally undermine the entire point of bringing Ripley along with the marines in Aliens if it didn't. And that's not the sort of "minor continuity issue" they could just sweep under the rug.

See, this assumes Hawley gives a f**k about any of that, and doesn't just do his own thing with it entirely. Which seems like 50/50 odds or better right now.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 18, 2022, 01:36:20 PM
I kinda feel like this is going to be how it goes down anyway.

Kailem

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 18, 2022, 08:28:02 PM
Quote from: Kailem on Feb 18, 2022, 10:18:53 AM
The thing that makes me go "ehhh" is that, by setting it prior to the original films, you're limiting yourself unnecessarily both in terms of the continuity you have to match up with and thus what you can ultimately do, and also in terms of how you can surprise the audience. Because, as has already been mentioned, no matter what happens in the show, we as the audience are going to know that ultimately it's all going to be contained somehow, and that it's going to end with the Alien still not being common knowledge to the general public, because that would literally undermine the entire point of bringing Ripley along with the marines in Aliens if it didn't. And that's not the sort of "minor continuity issue" they could just sweep under the rug.

See, this assumes Hawley gives a f**k about any of that, and doesn't just do his own thing with it entirely. Which seems like 50/50 odds or better right now.

Indeed, I've certainly had those same thoughts more than a few times since we first heard about this.

Local Trouble

Did Fargo and Legion take place in the same continuity as the movies they were based on?

Immortan Jonesy

DaveT937

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 18, 2022, 04:57:12 PM
No. No they shouldn't. There would be no 'peace and harmony in Alien fandom land' if that's the route they go down. There would be total and utter f**king anarchy.

Nightmare Asylum

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed