“Let’s Give Him Some Candy!” – How Predator: Concrete Jungle Influenced Predator 2

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 16, 2020, 10:37:43 AM

Author
“Let’s Give Him Some Candy!” – How Predator: Concrete Jungle Influenced Predator 2 (Read 5,178 times)

Corporal Hicks

"Los Angeles 1997. It's the hottest summer on record. Pollution is choking the city. The gangs control the streets. As bad as things are, they're about to get worse. Much worse."

This is the opening narration of the main theatrical trailer for 20th Century Fox's 1990 sc-fi horror film Predator 2. Spoken by the iconic voice of the late legendary trailer narrator Don LaFontaine, these words perfectly encapsulated what movie audiences could expect from this bombastic sequel featuring our favorite otherworldly hunter.

Unlike the first Predator film, this entry would not be taking place in the steamy jungles of South America but in a sweltering American city, a concrete jungle bound towards a dystopian future polluted with smog, violence and corruption. And if that wasn't bad enough, a Predator arrives in this futuristic hell "with a few days to kill."

As the trailer narration set up the sequel to the 1987 classic film so distinctly, some fans familiar with Predator's extended universe felt an overwhelming sense of Déjà vu. With a new script penned by original Predator creators Jim and John Thomas, it was odd that the synopsis of Predator 2 sounded so similar to the intergalactic hunter's first comic book appearance that hit retail shelves more than a year prior. So was this synopsis interchangeability just a coincidence, or was there more behind the two mediums' similarities?

Click here to continue reading!

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest news and content on all things Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Darkness

I love this stuff. Great voice over, Voodoo. Was a perfect fit for it.

Can you send me the font Hicks that you've used for the video.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Darkness on Aug 16, 2020, 11:28:18 AM

Can you send me the font Hicks that you've used for the video.

Thanks Darkness. Really appreciate it!

And major kudos has to go out to Hicks for putting together that awesome corresponding video!  So, so good!

Master

Great stuff.  I was aware about those similarities but never had them pointed out so conveniently.

Voodoo Magic

Thanks Master!

For the longest time I thought Verheiden met with Joel Silver, and all the while it was actually the Thomas Brothers!  I got to tell you though, the situation of writers picking another writer for ideas, especially when the writers picking are the creators, will always be a situation difficult for me to fully reconcile.

PredBabe

Great collaboration, guys! I didn't pay as much attention to the making of P2 so some good info on how the story and movie came to be.

Glad Hopkins and the Thomas brothers pushed for the iconic subway scene despite the changes in story locations. It's easily one of the most memorable scenes within the movie. This is where I think the newer movies tend to go wrong for me as they really fail at being creative with action set pieces and using these locations to their fullest potential.

426Buddy

Not finished yet but loving it! Thank you guys!

Master

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 16, 2020, 04:53:14 PM
Thanks Master!

For the longest time I thought Verheiden met with Joel Silver, and all the while it was actually the Thomas Brothers!  I got to tell you though, the situation of writers picking another writer for ideas, especially when the writers picking are the creators, will always be a situation difficult for me to fully reconcile.

I totally agree.  I lived convinced it was more Thomas and less Mark Verheiden, similarities being more coincidental. It appears it's not like that. Shame Mark wasn't included in end credits, but still he contributed in second best/ the best Predator story ever created. In the end that's what counts.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Darkness on Aug 16, 2020, 11:28:18 AM

Yeah, Voodoo did an ace job on this one and the audio.

QuoteCan you send me the font Hicks that you've used for the video.

It's called Slant. Cristian used to use it.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 16, 2020, 04:33:36 PM
And major kudos has to go out to Hicks for putting together that awesome corresponding video!  So, so good!

Thanks dude! Sorry to took me so long to get this one done. Got there eventually!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PredBabe on Aug 16, 2020, 05:25:36 PM
Great collaboration, guys! I didn't pay as much attention to the making of P2 so some good info on how the story and movie came to be.

Glad Hopkins and the Thomas brothers pushed for the iconic subway scene despite the changes in story locations. It's easily one of the most memorable scenes within the movie. This is where I think the newer movies tend to go wrong for me as they really fail at being creative with action set pieces and using these locations to their fullest potential.

Definitely agreed Predbabe! Just the Harrigan opening action scene alone shows such a level of memorable action creativity hardly found these days in today's cinema....

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 16, 2020, 06:01:44 PM
Not finished yet but loving it! Thank you guys!

Great to hear! 426!  Thanks!  :)

Quote from: Master on Aug 16, 2020, 06:06:24 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 16, 2020, 04:53:14 PM
Thanks Master!

I totally agree.  I lived convinced it was more Thomas and less Mark Verheiden, similarities being more coincidental. It appears it's not like that. Shame Mark wasn't included in end credits, but still he contributed in second best/ the best Predator story ever created. In the end that's what counts.

Indeed that's what counts, but honestly, I am still so surprised Mark isn't bothered by his lack of credit. I'd have trouble getting over it, that's for sure... but Mark to his credit is very zen about it.  It's hard not to be extremely impressed with the way he's handled it.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 16, 2020, 06:08:21 PM
Yeah, Voodoo did an ace job on this one and the audio.

Thanks Hicks. Much appreciated!!!

426Buddy

This was a fun read, it definitely cleared up some misconceptions I had about the film.

Thanks again Voodoo!

Anyone else love that scene after the subway attack, where Harrigan walks around the corner to see the predator drop Jerry's body and run for it?  That scene and the scream the predator makes has always been one of the little moments I love in the film.

PredBabe

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 17, 2020, 09:51:13 PM
Anyone else love that scene after the subway attack, where Harrigan walks around the corner to see the predator drop Jerry's body and run for it?  That scene and the scream the predator makes has always been one of the little moments I love in the film.

Yes, that was a great moment. Those little details and glimpses are what help in making it feel like you're watching a real creature on screen and not just a man running around in a suit.

AliceApocalypse

PredBabe

Yass girl! Lots of good stuff in the movie.

I always loved the bit in the slaughterhouse where City Hunter is hunkered down and rips off his busted shoulder cannon.   :laugh:

j0nesy

well now i think i need to watch p2 tonight; it's been a little while  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed