StudioADI Appreciation Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Oct 21, 2021, 11:06:46 PM

Author
StudioADI Appreciation Thread (Read 12,006 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Hey guys

Over the years we've seen much revolt and hatred towards the ADI iterations of the Predator... and that got me wondering, who out there actually LIKES the ADI preds? Let's have some praise for a change

Kradan

Kradan

ME !

They were the ones I grew up with (thanks, AvP 2004) so I maybe biased in my opinion but I truly really actually genuinely like them

SiL

SiL

I quite like their suited Predators. I think if nothing else their armour designs are pretty consistently great.

The bulky look in AvP definitely fit the comic book vibe Anderson was aiming for and I thought Wolf's more streamlined look was a solid return to form.

While I'm not particularly fond of the design, Scar is a very well realised creature effect with a frankly impressive performance range. The exact performance could've been better - the "oh shit" face was a bit much - but that's a reflection of Anderson's direction, not the mask itself.

The fact the thing could go from neutral to full scowl to "oh shit" all in the one effect is a much bigger achievement than people give it credit for.

Kradan

Kradan

Scar is still my favourite Predator. And for the reason most people probably don't like him - he is a "hero" Predator. He is so cool and awesome

This gif says it all

Seeing Alien's head being bashed against stone pillars is great too

SiL

SiL

I think this is more about design then characters  :laugh:

Celtic's mask was great though. Really captured people's attention in the trailer.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Oct 21, 2021, 11:29:12 PM

Let me be positive about ADI Preds the way I want goddamit ! :D

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Oct 21, 2021, 11:19:03 PM
I quite like their suited Predators. I think if nothing else their armour designs are pretty consistently great.

The bulky look in AvP definitely fit the comic book vibe Anderson was aiming for and I thought Wolf's more streamlined look was a solid return to form.

While I'm not particularly fond of the design, Scar is a very well realised creature effect with a frankly impressive performance range. The exact performance could've been better - the "oh shit" face was a bit much - but that's a reflection of Anderson's direction, not the mask itself.

The fact the thing could go from neutral to full scowl to "oh shit" all in the one effect is a much bigger achievement than people give it credit for.

Pretty much this, especially what I've put in bold text.

(Bad Blood)

I actually loved all the AVP 2004 Predator designs.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 21, 2021, 11:33:08 PM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 21, 2021, 11:29:12 PM

Let me be positive about ADI Preds the way I want goddamit ! :D
Just make sure to call them pretty :laugh:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Celtic's mask has to be my all-time favourite Predator mask. The aesthetic elements coalesce so well

(Bad Blood)

Celtic's mask is very high up on my favorite Predator masks list.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Oh hell yeah, let's bring those pretty-faced Predator specimens in here.

I also really did like the design of the Emissary Predators, and I still hope for an alternate cut to see them in action. The covers of the NECA releases are some of the only proper marketing photos we have of them.

And a few pictures I've taken of the Hot Toys ones:

I do hope that with Skulls, we have ADI designing the armor again. I did think it was an odd choice to have QuantumFX handle the armor separately, though I did like fugitive's armor.

Voodoo Magic

^^^
I do like a lot of those figure renditions above and the alterations they made. Good stuff!

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Oct 22, 2021, 12:18:29 AM
Celtic's mask is very high up on my favorite Predator masks list.

Mine too! I wish Scar wore that one to be honest! Definitely a favorite.

And Wolf with his mask on is just aces to me in my book, and Ian Whyte's performance as Wolf is my next favorite to Kevin Peter Hall's!

(Bad Blood)

Oh for sure! Yeah wolf is buy far one of the coolest looking Predators out of this franchise.

SuperiorIronman

I really like crazy eyed Wolf there.
For me on The Predator I really liked the idea of giving dreadlocks texture. It adds so much detail to a face I didn't know I wanted. Less tentacles and more weird looking hair. It's also kind of cool to me that it is one of the things the franchise kind of ran with cause a bunch of Predators got detail on the dreadlocks after that. Some less than others but it was cool to see them embrace that change.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed