StudioADI Appreciation Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Oct 21, 2021, 11:06:46 PM

Author
StudioADI Appreciation Thread (Read 12,131 times)

BlueMarsalis79

I dig the juvenile AVP Predalien.

SiL

SiL

I know this is toeing the line of the thread, but I liked ADI's version with the smaller dreads and no pecs. The movie version, not so much, but I think they did the best they could with a bad hand.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: SiL on Dec 31, 2021, 11:17:13 PM
I know this is toeing the line of the thread, but I liked ADI's version with the smaller dreads and no pecs. The movie version, not so much, but I think they did the best they could with a bad hand.

This one?

I think that's something that some don't understand. Sometimes the same design elements that are criticized are ones StudioADI disagree with themselves, and yet are directed to do by a film's director or producers.

Same reason this...

Becomes this:

SiL

SiL

No, I mean Chet before the muscles were added and the dreadlocks enlarged.

BlueMarsalis79

I really dig the original Predators Hound design, and I really dig the original The Predator dog design, but it must be said that for the ones we got actually on-screen the most recent film they are through no fault of ADI the worst. I hate them so much lol, it's The Thing prequel rubik cube replacement all over again.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Jan 01, 2022, 12:16:43 PM
No, I mean Chet before the muscles were added and the dreadlocks enlarged.

Yep thats what I said. Terrific biomech design before they covered it with flesh and muscles

BlueMarsalis79

I agree. It looks so ungainly in the finished film because of the additions.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I have pics but theyre in jpeg format which isnt allowed in attachment. Ill try to upload them somewhere later

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Got it. Thats the terrific Predalien body design Im talking about

Here the pecs are being added, and they start to cover the ribcage

Great leg design

In the final version all those great biomech details are covered with flesh

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

I wouldn't say all. A lot of those details still seem apparent in the final suit:

I think that was close to the final mold build. But I see what you mean, the full ribcage instead of a half one with those pecs. I do like the look of that honestly.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jan 01, 2022, 05:35:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txe5nRsvT2s

At about 3:30 in this video there's some concept art that is close to the final design but looks a bit more slender and lacks the pecs.

Kradan

Kradan

Hey, know what's COOL about Chet's design !?

Spoiler
THE SKULL !

(0||0)
  ||||

[close]

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Yeah, from Omegamorph's Monster Legacy blog, the addition of the muscular elements came directly from studio execs:

"During this sculpting stage, however, particularly unusual feedback was received. "That 80/20 proportion changed a bit when a 14-year old happened to be walking through the halls of Fox, saw the maquette and said 'wow! Cool Alien!' This observation led to much discussion about how to make it look more like a Predator, and some last minute adding of dreadlocks to increase the Predator feel." Following instruction from the studio executives, the Predalien's appearance was altered further — increasing the number of dreadlocks and adding more muscular components to its exoskeleton, such as the chest area. The Predalien was ultimately sculpted by Steve Wang, Hiroshi Katagiri, Casey Love, and Corey Schubert, and painted by Mike Larrabee."

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 01, 2022, 06:54:08 PM
Hey, know what's COOL about Chet's design !?

Spoiler
THE SKULL !

(0||0)
  ||||

[close]

Yeah that was a nice element. It was the first time the under the dome skull had returned since the original Alien

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Interesting. Many people seem to be negative towards ADI, even though it is the studio that screwed up the designs.

Personaly, I'd prefer that Chet had the same coloration as when it was a chestburster, so it would look more ghostly. I'd prefer the dreadlocks to be shorter or pointed like in that concept art. I would keep the skull and prefer less muscle and more biomechanhics.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 02, 2022, 12:27:48 AM
Interesting. Many people seem to be negative towards ADI, even though it is the studio that screwed up the designs.

Um, what ? Why do you phrase it like a contradiction ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed