Casting Rumor: James Franco to Star in The Predator?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 15, 2016, 07:34:12 PM

Author
Casting Rumor: James Franco to Star in The Predator? (Read 24,575 times)

BishopShouldGo

Yawn. Michelle Rodriguez huh? Yaaaaaawn.

Shasvre

My #1 choice would be Frank Grillo, but I would be okay with Franco.

DUB1

James Franco would be interesting, seeing as he wouldn't be too obvious.

I like how they've been casting less expected actors since P2. Danny Glover, Adrien Brody, and now possibly James Franco. Much more interesting choices than the Rock and Vin Diesel, so-called Arnie types that together still wouldn't be half as charismatic as Arnie. Imo, the only actors that are as charismatic are mostly guys just as old as Arnie or only a few years younger. Basically, P1 can't be recreated by simply casting any muscle man in the lead role.

HuDaFuK

Not a huge lover of Franco, but at the same time I wouldn't hate him being the lead.

DOOMGUY

I don't mind if he gets cast, just as long as he is not the main character but a side character. However, I would have liked for Karl Urban to be the main character because of his performance in DOOM, but he is busy with other movies. I'm aware that DOOM wasn't that good because it wasn't like the video games, but I'm talking about his role in the movie.

Alien³

I'd be so game to see Franco in The Predator.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

If all those guys mentioned above passed on The Predator because of conflicting movie sheduals then ok thats not bad but if they all passed on it because they weren't interested in the movie the creature of Predator than thats weird and strange. Who wouldn't want to be the Star in a Predator movie? Lol that would be so awsome. If I was an actor I would love to have a Predator movie under my belt.

Xan21

We had two terrible VS films and one mediocre sequel. It's like after Jurassic Park 3 it really wasn't cool to be considered for a JP film... it took a long time. So it's not really weird if they passed on starring in the film because of the creature.

BishopShouldGo

Well Royce, when a director like Shane Black takes the helm, it's more of a "Shane Black movie" than a "Predator movie". Predators was a "Predator movie", because Nimrod Antal isn't a top-tier filmmaker. But this is not just another, mere Predator entry anymore.

And Xan, who says it wasn't cool to be considered for a JP film? That's baseless and without merit. When you're working with the likes of Ridley Scott and Shane Black, it doesn't matter if 20 bad entries preceded the next entry if it's by such master filmmakers. So with that thinking, Bale, Freeman, Caine and Neeson should've declined Batman Begins because of Batman & Robin and Batman Forever.

Xan21

Oh that's why it took them 14 years to release another one right? JP3 ruined the franchise... Predators didn't give the franchise a better name either...so I wouldn't be surprised most 'respectable' actors are up for it right now.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

It wasn't for a lack of trying. They couldn't crack a good JP4 story. JPIII still made a profit. But the hiatus turned out to be for the better, no franchise fatigue.

Predators made money and received good reviews, it helped the franchise just a tad. Not by an significant proportion though. And again, Blake is different from Antal. It's ok though. If someone doesn't understand this, it's because they choose not to.

blood.

Maybe after he inevitably defeats the predator they will share a spliff and laugh about their good ole tussle together before the predator nukes them both.

Thomas H.

Franco has been good in some stuff, less good in others. To me, it all depends on what character they are creating. If they want to go for a hard as nails, Dutch-like character, then no. But a normal guy, a cop or a detective, who's trying to solve some unexplained killings.... That could work.

Capfan85

At first I thought James Franco would be a bad idea but maybe this film will have a different plot and focus more of the Predators.  Since Shane Black promised he would show us what was behind the curtain and Dekker said "who knows if their agenda has changed" when talking about the predators.  He also mentioned that the characters will be from a variety of different back grounds. 

As much as I would like to see Dwyane Johnson square off against a Prefator, I think this could be interesting.  Predator was very much a Schwarzenegger film and the director capitalized on the action hero popularity at the time, and Schwarzenegger rose to popularity after Terminator 1 and Commando in 84 and 85. 

To make Predator popular for the average person now Shane Black has to cast a more average looking cast  that people in this generation know and can relate to.

Maybe James Franco won't be battling the Predators directly like Arnold did, but maybe he is more of an intelligence officer or detective trying to learn about them.

I think this film will be more focused on story line, plot, and character development instead of just a platoon in a jungle fighting an alien.  I think Shane Black wants to develop the characters more and the story of the Predator society to make it exciting.  This could possibly set up for a sequel if done right, and possibly tie it into other parts if the same universe like aliens and the engineers. 

My short list would be:
Dwayne Johnson
Ray Stevenson (Punisher War zone)
Karl Urban (Dredd, Doom)

Who says you cant have an a-lister like James Franco playing a less physical role sich as a detective or government agent trying to piece together the puzzle about the Predators.  Combine with someone like Dwyane Johnson or Ray Stevenson taking on the Predator in the physical role. 

Stealth_Hunter

Has it been confirmed that Hardy passed on a role? It would be nothing short of amazing to see that guy in a predator film.

I have mixed feelings about Franco. He can be such a talented dramatic actor when he wants to be but he's also a guy who has been roasted on comedy central and is known for being a bit odd at times.

I really hope Black gets a supporting cast that skyrockets the film's popularity. Shame Affleck and Cooper passed but I'm holding out hope for some other big names.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed