USCSSS Nostromo - Alien - The Board Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 15, 2018, 02:13:30 PM

Author
USCSSS Nostromo - Alien - The Board Game (Read 37,457 times)

windebieste

Welcome to the murky, shadowy twilight world of working on a Project based on an Intellectual Property without the use of a Licence.  This looks like it's turned into an ownership battle between 2 developers.  Tragic development, that. 

Happens too often though.  A clash of interest.  Misunderstandings.  Lack of dedication by one party involved.  Too much in house competition... any number of reasons or combinations thereof.  The most common culprit, though...

Greed.

-Windebieste.

SiL

They had the license.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: SiL on May 01, 2018, 05:25:57 AM
They had the license.

As i understand it, Wonderdice aquired the license sometime later, after the original creator pitched the game to them.

SiL

Yes, but they still got it before trying to make a game.

The issue was that they took the old idea and ran with it without notifying or crediting the original author, then offered him sweet f**k-all when it was brought to his attention and he called them out on it.

Some

Some

I am amazed sometimes of how people can talk about a topic without any understanding of it on the internet.

I mean, how does windebieste think he can bring anything to the subject while he clearly read nothing about it?

426Buddy

Quote from: SiL on May 01, 2018, 11:49:30 AM
Yes, but they still got it before trying to make a game.

I think winde is refering to the original author, who made the game and pitched it to Wonderdice, when neither had the license.

Im not commenting on the actual matter at hand, im just pointing out that Winde is correct when he said that the original game was created before anyone had the license. After that it sounds like wonderdice stole the idea for the game and acquired the license.

windebieste

Actually, I did read about it. 

-Windebieste.

SiL

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 02, 2018, 11:22:03 AM
I think winde is refering to the original author, who made the game and pitched it to Wonderdice, when neither had the license.

Im not commenting on the actual matter at hand, im just pointing out that Winde is correct when he said that the original game was created before anyone had the license. After that it sounds like wonderdice stole the idea for the game and acquired the license.
Yes, but the issue was never really about who did or didn't have the license at what stage of the matter. It didn't really factor into what's going on.

Some

Some

Since the case has absolutely nothing to do with the license, I'd still say that clearly windie has made no effort in understanding the problem at all. Be it a licensed game or not, the problem would be exactly the same.

windebieste

Now you're just being accusatory - for no reason - and it's not welcome. 

I have read about the issues surrounding this game and came to the conclusion the original developer failed to take steps to protect his property from potential theft - which is what appears to have happened.  But by copyright law, the new version of the game adequately differs from the original version for it to be a valid new product but they failed to acknowledge the original creator.

I say both parties are negligent here and this issue isn't something that will be solved by unwarrented finger pointing on a forum not associated with the product(s) in question.

-Windebieste.

Some

Some

The game industry doesn't work like you seem to think it does, which you'd have learnt if you actually read about the issues.

It's not even clear if the copyright law are respected by the new version of the game, as is proven by wonderdice attempt to reach an agreement with the original author post-polemic.

As has been repeatedly said by most of the editors and authors who witnessed the bad buzz, had they restarted a game from scratch, they would have obtained totally different mechanics.

And past this issue, when the editors, authors and the board game community acknowledges what they did was theft by the industry standard, clearly what they did was theft.

Saying the original author, who was still in contact with his usual editor about this game, has been negligent in any way is blatant ignorance of the facts surrounding the whole affair, and just means that you're apologetic of thieves.

Mr. Clemens

Is there a way to block posts made by 'guests'?

426Buddy

It sounds like "Some" must have some skin in the game. :)

Corporal Hicks

Looks like this is still happening. Someone on one of the wargaming Facebook groups shared that he'd been playtesting the game and it was due to be demoed at an upcoming gaming event in London.

https://imgur.com/a/Z8scKdP

Wweyland

These minifigs are rather badass.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed