Guy Pearce Says Covenant Goes Back to Origins of Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien’ Films!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Mar 08, 2017, 06:27:57 PM

Author
Guy Pearce Says Covenant Goes Back to Origins of Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien’ Films!! (Read 16,992 times)

jdxmoore

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 08, 2017, 08:06:55 PM
You didn't spend the last five years being trolled for liking it. Calling them a bitter minority is generous. The rest of the internet, including this board, is hostile towards the fans. It takes all the patience I can muster to browse this board without steam coming out of my ears. And believe me, all of the movie's flaws were apparent after one viewing. But more flaws than Alien, Blade Runner , or your typical sci-fi movie? Absolutely not. It was just scrutinized more than just about any film of recent years. The nitpicking that went on cannot be rationally justified. It was excessive, mean, and destructive to the creative health of the series. Alien fans feeling persecuted by Prometheus fans? That's so absurd you must be joking. How many topics are there on this board that mention a promise that this movie will "correct" Prometheus or some other backhanded remark? Are Prometheus fans supposed to say nothing while the community pretends that the best film in the franchise was a mistake? This is a really, really awful board if you have any respect for Ridley and his work. It's really disappointing.

I share your views on this as well.

Prometheus reignited my love of this series in a big way. I admit it has imperfections but all the constant negativity about it is frustrating.

I've been listening to several podcasts recently related to this series of films and Covenant and there always seems to be discussion on the so called flaws of Prometheus, but never much on the positives.

Anyway, in reference to the first post - I'm really exciting to see Guy as Weyland again. Fantastic actor IMO.

Corporal Hicks

You didn't spend the last five years being trolled for liking it. Calling them a bitter minority is generous. The rest of the internet, including this board, is hostile towards the fans. It takes all the patience I can muster to browse this board without steam coming out of my ears. And believe me, all of the movie's flaws were apparent after one viewing. But more flaws than Alien, Blade Runner , or your typical sci-fi movie? Absolutely not. It was just scrutinized more than just about any film of recent years. The nitpicking that went on cannot be rationally justified. It was excessive, mean, and destructive to the creative health of the series. Alien fans feeling persecuted by Prometheus fans? That's so absurd you must be joking. How many topics are there on this board that mention a promise that this movie will "correct" Prometheus or some other backhanded remark? Are Prometheus fans supposed to say nothing while the community pretends that the best film in the franchise was a mistake? This is a really, really awful board if you have any respect for Ridley and his work. It's really disappointing.

I'm sorry you feel that way but from my perspective, what I see is a Prometheus fan attempting to belittle those who didn't like it. There's nothing wrong with enjoying Prometheus, there's nothing wrong with disliking it. Let's just do both with respect.

BishopShouldGo

Perfect summation. Best film in the franchise indeed.

How often are Prometheus fans subjected to "Don't pet the snake!" or "Don't run in a straight line!" or "Old man makeup!", all of which can be explained and HAS been explained for MANY years.

Corporal Hicks

And let's also take the "Prometheus is good, Prometheus is bad" discussion to the Prometheus board please.  :)

Protozoid

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2017, 08:27:21 PM

I'm sorry you feel that way but from my perspective, what I see is a Prometheus fan attempting to belittle those who didn't like it. There's nothing wrong with enjoying Prometheus, there's nothing wrong with disliking it. Let's just do both with respect.
That would be easier if the disrespectful ones weren't getting their way. Prometheus haters are being pandered to in article after article, and Prometheus fans are marginalised and trolled. Covenant is a victory for the trolls. They were rewarded for childish behavior and ignorance. If they can be tolerated, so can I.

Corporal Hicks

Please report any issues you have on this board but I'm not in a position to do anything about articles that aren't written on this website. And it isn't an excuse for belittling behavior on my website.

Protozoid

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2017, 08:42:53 PM
Please report any issues you have on this board but I'm not in a position to do anything about articles that aren't written on this website. And it isn't an excuse for belittling behavior on my website.
My comments were directed a non-specific persons who hated on Prometheus excessively. How am I being worse than Ingvar, whose attempts to belittle me were transparent and personal? There shouldn't be any problems with me defending a movie on a message board devoted to the sequel to that movie. This is a fan board. In my opinion, positive opinions don't need to be supported nearly as much as negative ones, but the opposite seems to hold true of Prometheus with Alien fans. Anything negative about Prometheus is assumed true, anything positive must be supported with links and facts. This is an infuriating double standard.

Corporal Hicks

Like I mentioned earlier, please report any issues you have. There is a report post function on here. Please use it. I expect everyone to behave like adults without taking to insulting each other over disagreements.

episodenone

I loved Guy in Memento -- but off hand can't think of anything else he blew me away with.  What I'm confused about... it seems to me Guy could have shot his scenes and recorded his VO in a single day. 

Well -- 2 or 3 weeks of getting that makeup on --  :o

So unless I misunderstood - did Guy say he spent even less time on Covenant?  If so -- his role must be itsy bitsy this time around, and my guess, told in just a couple flashbacks.

echobbase79

Quote from: episodenone on Mar 08, 2017, 09:30:50 PM
I loved Guy in Memento -- but off hand can't think of anything else he blew me away with.  What I'm confused about... it seems to me Guy could have shot his scenes and recorded his VO in a single day. 

So unless I misunderstood - did Guy say he spent even less time on Covenant?  If so -- his role must be itsy bitsy this time around, and my guess, told in just a couple flashbacks.

I think Guy's role in this is pretty much a cameo.

Darth Vile

Quote from: episodenone on Mar 08, 2017, 09:30:50 PM

A single scene can take hours, if not days, to shoot on a large production... especially if it includes visual effects and/or set pieces. It's no surprise then that Guy spent more time on Prometheus than you'd expect... given he was in at least 3 scenes.

episodenone

Gotcha-- I know very little about film making things like that.

Curious -- was there a lot of Guy's footage left on the cutting room floor in Prometheus?  And if so, was any of it him as a younger man?

I remember the TED video excerpt -- which was cool.  But was anything else filmed?

Protozoid

Quote from: episodenone on Mar 08, 2017, 09:58:35 PM
Gotcha-- I know very little about film making things like that.

Curious -- was there a lot of Guy's footage left on the cutting room floor in Prometheus?  And if so, was any of it him as a younger man?

I remember the TED video excerpt -- which was cool.  But was anything else filmed?
There is a scene in the script that was never filmed where David would have visited Weyland in Weyland's dreams. Weyland is a young, attractive version of Pearce and is on a luxury yacht with beautiful women. It was cut for budgetary reasons, I believe. Too bad they didn't do a cheaper version on a beach.

tango and cash

Interesting maybe a flash back scene.

i wonder if 20th century fox are tempted with merging the alien and predator franchises again. Seems though shared/expanded universes are all the rage these days.

Ingwar

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 08, 2017, 09:09:27 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2017, 08:42:53 PM
My comments were directed a non-specific persons who hated on Prometheus excessively. How am I being worse than Ingvar, whose attempts to belittle me were transparent and personal?

???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed