Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 145,752 times)

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Is it strange for what was originally supposed to be an English company to have it's HQ in the US (San Francisco), according to the website? Unless Weyland Corp is now considered an American company.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2012, 01:02:30 AM
Yes. Really. There have been dozens of manned and unmanned pet projects coming into fruition in the last ten years. Corporations are talking about their own private fleets for tourism and business. Talks of private citizens going into space. There are even many people hitting the high side of forty working together to be the first to colonize Mars if and when that mission begins. Their goal is to spend the rest of their lives on Mars, paving the way as proverbial Johnny Appleseed's for the next generation of human beings to live on Mars.
Companies have been talking the same talk since the 90's--if not before. And it has never come to fruition. Talk is cheap. There is not enough demand for private spaceflight, especially in this economy. Take, for example, Bigelow Aerospace, whom the press was all excited for--Private spaceflight! Manned space habitats! Ain't gonna happen. The company laid off many of its employees last year, and came out and said there is no chance of their goals being achieved anytime soon, at least not within the next decade.

Let's face it--there is no money in space. When corporations can conceivably find a way to make lots and lots of money in space to pay for the insane amounts of cash it's going to take to build all these ships, life support systems, habitats, terraforming technologies, etc, then maybe we'll have a future beyond this planet. But for the time being, in the decades to come the only people going up into space are going to be super-rich blowhard tourists and an increasingly dwindling number of scientists.

Of course, you're view is probably more optimistic. I guess we'll just have to see what happens :P A more interesting argument is whether we should even start moving out into space in the first place...

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Mar 06, 2012, 01:11:47 AM
Is it strange for what was originally supposed to be an English company to have it's HQ in the US (San Francisco), according to the website? Unless Weyland Corp is now considered an American company.

it's probably more profitable to be right next to all the possible economic allies, subsidiaries and inversionists. America is the world's largest fair.

Quote from: SM on Mar 06, 2012, 01:11:13 AM
And factoring in the miraculous return of Pan Am and Atari.

i asume future people will think old junk is cool just like we do. then someone decides to buy a dusty trademark and do weird things with it. business as usual.

SM

SM

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Mar 06, 2012, 01:11:47 AM

It was founded by a Pom.  Better than nothing.  News Corp was originally an Australian company but is now based in Delaware.

It does conform to the Tokyo, London, San Fran, Sea of Tranquility, Thedus thing from the blu-rays though.

Quotei asume future people will think old junk is cool just like we do. then someone decides to buy a dusty trademark and do weird things with it. business as usual.

f**kin' hipsters...

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 06, 2012, 01:16:04 AMWhen corporations can conceivably find a way to make lots and lots of money in space to pay for the insane amounts of cash it's going to take to build all these ships, life support systems, habitats, terraforming technologies, etc, then maybe we'll have a future beyond this planet.

Mining, hence the Nostromo and presumably other ships of it's type. And remember that the viral is suggesting that Peter Weyland reveals something world changing so using the world as it is now as a starting point is useless IMO. In the next 11 years something big changes it into the fictional world of the Alien series.

-Chris

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 06, 2012, 01:20:27 AM
Mining, hence the Nostromo. And remember that the viral is suggesting that Peter Weyland reveals something world changing so using the world as it is now as a starting point is useless IMO. Something big changes it into the fictional world of the Alien series.
There ain't exactly much to mine in our solar system, unless we want to go destroy Mars looking for oil :P
I really hope that "big change" is sufficiently plausible :-\

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 06, 2012, 01:22:36 AM
Mining, hence the Nostromo. And remember that the viral is suggesting that Peter Weyland reveals something world changing so using the world as it is now as a starting point is useless IMO. Something big changes it into the fictional world of the Alien series.
There ain't exactly much to mine in our solar system, unless we want to go destroy Mars looking for oil :P I really hope that "big change" is sufficiently plausible :-\

But they aren't mining our solar system in Alien, they are way out in the boondocks. And in order to do that they must have FTL, which is entirely implausible. We are already in fantasy land, no reason to get picky now. :P

-Chris

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 06, 2012, 01:28:52 AM
But they aren't mining our solar system in Alien, they are way out in the boondocks. And in order to do that they must have FTL, which is entirely implausible. We are already in fantasy land, no reason to get picky now. :P
I meant in terms of our real world.  :P Oh well, hopefully it all makes sense comes June. *sigh*

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

"Weyland engineers have been working around the clock to bring you the newest, most advanced addition to the Weyland family. Stay tuned for a special announcement."

Perhaps the ship herself?

That's it, this viral campaign has me by the short-hairs. ;D

-Chris

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

I was assuming it were the androids, but I think you could be right.

predxeno

predxeno

They just updated the weylandindustries.com site and we can sign up to be notified of new developments by creating an account there.  I just did that and am eagerly awaiting whatever news they are ready to share.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 06, 2012, 03:26:34 AM
They just updated the weylandindustries.com site and we can sign up to be notified of new developments by creating an account there.  I just did that and am eagerly awaiting whatever news they are ready to share.
You're a couple pages late to the party :P

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

There ain't exactly much to mine in our solar system, unless we want to go destroy Mars looking for oil :P

I think the bajillion rocks that have crashed into Mars and whatever ancient atmosphere the planet had that is so very thin these days have already "destroyed" Mars. Unless you're really implying the barren rock is somehow sacred with this sarcastic remark.

I say drill the Hell out of Mars!

Mining is actually exactly what Mars needs. Anything to create more greenhouse gases and thicken that atmosphere up.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 06, 2012, 01:16:04 AM
Companies have been talking the same talk since the 90's--if not before. And it has never come to fruition. Talk is cheap. There is not enough demand for private spaceflight, especially in this economy. Take, for example, Bigelow Aerospace, whom the press was all excited for--Private spaceflight! Manned space habitats! Ain't gonna happen. The company laid off many of its employees last year, and came out and said there is no chance of their goals being achieved anytime soon, at least not within the next decade.

Let's face it--there is no money in space. When corporations can conceivably find a way to make lots and lots of money in space to pay for the insane amounts of cash it's going to take to build all these ships, life support systems, habitats, terraforming technologies, etc, then maybe we'll have a future beyond this planet. But for the time being, in the decades to come the only people going up into space are going to be super-rich blowhard tourists and an increasingly dwindling number of scientists.

Of course, you're view is probably more optimistic. I guess we'll just have to see what happens :P A more interesting argument is whether we should even start moving out into space in the first place...

The cold, harsh reality of space exploration. Urgh, that was painful to read but true. :(

bunnyavpg

bunnyavpg

I never quite saw the point of the Nostromo, why send a ship light years from Earth when we have more than enough asteroids in our own back yard.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed