Alien returns to UK cinemas for 40th anniversary celebration screenings

Started by Ingwar, Jan 08, 2019, 09:00:07 PM

Author
Alien returns to UK cinemas for 40th anniversary celebration screenings (Read 19,956 times)

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Jan 08, 2019, 10:42:26 PM
I hope it gets to Australia.
So do I. I saw a double feature presentation for ALIEN (TC) & ALIENS (DC) at Modbury a couple of years ago, to help promote ALIEN: COVENANT, they screened "THE CROSSING" after the double feature.

Huggs

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 09, 2019, 09:34:04 AM
Quote from: SM on Jan 09, 2019, 05:02:20 AM
It's slightly shorter.  A truncated version of the hive scene was added as well as the transmission scene, but you lose 'do you mind it I put the transmission through ECIU' and the 'what are my chances' scene, and a stack of scenes have a few seconds shaved off.  After Brett is killed it really flies by.

I love the Eggmorphing scene so much but all the other snips really hurt that film - especially Dallas and MUTHUR. Also prefer the original transmission, not the DC version too.

Haven't watched the theatrical version in years. Once I saw the hive scene, I was hooked on the DC.

SiL

I watched the DC once and that was plenty. If Scott had added scenes and trimmed shots, rather than removing great moments like "What are my chances?", it probably would've become the go-to version for me.

Local Trouble

Elmazalman

The additional scenes from the DC aren't too lengthy. Why not just drop them in without the various edits throughout the TC?

SiL

Because Scott doesn't give his audience credit and assumes nobody has an attention span any more. I'm fairly certain he's said as much -- he couldn't make Alien today because people wouldn't sit through it.

SM

SM

Yeah he thought it might be too slow for a modern audience so trimmed the start and end of a lot of scenes.

Maybe he's right - I dunno.  Thing is, including the hive scene just slowed stuff down again.

SiL

I think the only parts which reeeaaally "needed" to be trimmed for a modern audience would be Brett's search for Jonesy, and the long ass dolly shot before Ripley talks to Ash in the medbay. The shaved frames here and there were kind of unnecessary.

SM

I get his reasoning, but yeah I don't think the shaving quite works.  I did like the new 'Alien swinging in the chains shot'.

Interestingly, in one of Michael Palin's diary books he talks about an early screening of Alien (he was on the board at Shepparton I think), and says the movie never tops the chestburster scene.  So perhaps there was some justification for speeding it up even back then?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I actually prefer the theatrical cuts of the first four films.

I watched the Alien DC yesterday for the first time in a long time. I too liked the added shot of the creature hanginng from the chains. However, it seems so strange to have Rips set the self destruct and then randomly go down the ladder to the nest with only 10 minutes to gtfo.

SM

Yeah her impetus for going down there was never properly handled in the film.  In the script she hears Dallas weeping - which she wouldn't be able to hear over the alarms.

Local Trouble

Where would the SM Cut place that scene?

SM

I'd just watch the original cut.

But ideally it should where it was scripted to be - just after Ripley finds Parker and Lambert.

Local Trouble

Would you keep the scene out of it because of Aliens?

SM

No I would keep it out because it slows the film down.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed