Changes in the AVP movies you would have made ?

Started by The Kurgan, Nov 09, 2018, 05:15:21 PM

Author
Changes in the AVP movies you would have made ? (Read 13,594 times)

Huggs

They didn't have David and his fingers to keep the game alive.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Nov 27, 2018, 12:57:50 AM
They were so restrained there was seven whole minutes of versing in a movie called Alien versus Predator.

As in the narrative, not throwing everything at it including the kitchen sink... which ultimately would have given more time for the AvP battles. 

SM

An apt gif considering I have no idea what you just said.

Russ840

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 27, 2018, 01:30:43 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 27, 2018, 12:57:50 AM
They were so restrained there was seven whole minutes of versing in a movie called Alien versus Predator.

As in the narrative, not throwing everything at it including the kitchen sink... which ultimately would have given more time for the AvP battles. 

https://media3.giphy.com/media/wSCAy1zJbcUG4/200w.gif?cid=19f5b51a5bfc9cc9493369344dc91457
The whole facehugging and bursting took up all of a minute or so of the total plot, how was it detracting from the fighting in the least? ???

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

My problem with AvP to me was everything was thrown in. So, so many characters introduced. So many concepts. Archeology, genesis of human society, shape shifting pyramids, eggs, facehuggers and a ramped up life cycle, Predators attacking humans, Predators vs Aliens, Predators capturing a Queen, Predators distributing eggs, the human Predator team up, introducing the Pred Alien.  To me it doesn't serve the franchise to cram all of this into one movie, so I felt they needed restraint, words of wisdom spoken in the form of "pace yourself" when developing the first film of a series. Take a concept or two, flesh it out and let it breathe!

As a byproduct of this approach, it could have resulted in more AvP battles in the first film.

SM

The long version of AvP goes for 86 minutes plus credits.  The backstory flashback exposition stuff takes up less than 90 seconds and you have four characters to worry about - Lex, Weyland, Sebastian and Scar.  There was a stack of room for one of the core elements of AvP.

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 27, 2018, 11:52:48 AM
My problem with AvP to me was everything was thrown in. So, so many characters introduced. So many concepts. Archeology, genesis of human society, shape shifting pyramids, eggs, facehuggers and a ramped up life cycle, Predators attacking humans, Predators vs Aliens, Predators capturing a Queen, Predators distributing eggs, the human Predator team up, introducing the Pred Alien.  To me it doesn't serve the franchise to cram all of this into one movie, so I felt they needed restraint, words of wisdom spoken in the form of "pace yourself" when developing the first film of a series. Take a concept or two, flesh it out and let it breathe!

As a byproduct of this approach, it could have resulted in more AvP battles in the first film.

We got lucky they crammed what they did into the movies, as we'll likely not see a 3rd film. Holding back would've just cost us what little we've got already. One thing AVP didn't feel like to me, was bloated. It felt lacking, in nearly every department.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 27, 2018, 07:52:35 PM

We got lucky they crammed what they did into the movies, as we'll likely not see a 3rd film. Holding back would've just cost us what little we've got already. One thing AVP didn't feel like to me, was bloated. It felt lacking, in nearly every department.

No brother, that movie doesn't make me feel lucky at all, and we should never feel lucky for "cramming".

I never said it was bloated, actually I believe it was thin and rushed.  And that's why I think it felt lacking to you, because none of these elements were fleshed out properly like they could have been.  If they rather focused on just one or two of these concepts and developed a proper story, it could have been so much more fulfilling imo.

Just the Predators capturing a queen (we see them do it!), harvesting eggs, planting them on a colonized planet and returning in a year to hunt, as the colony is just basically a handful now of people, boarded up, struggling to survive. Wow, that could have been something!

SiL

Predators attacking humans, Predators vs Aliens, Predators capturing a Queen, Predators distributing eggs, the human Predator team up, introducing the Pred Alien.  To me it doesn't serve the franchise to cram all of this into one movie, so I felt they needed restraint, words of wisdom spoken in the form of "pace yourself" when developing the first film of a series. Take a concept or two, flesh it out and let it breathe!
The film showed "Predators have a Queen and make her lay eggs to hunt" just fine. The heck else are they going to do with the concept? Show a lengthy scene of Predators deliberating the best Queen restraint mechanisms or something?

I think you're really overselling how much time most of the things you listed really needed to be shown properly. The only thing the film actually skimped on was the creature v creature conflict.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Nov 27, 2018, 10:45:33 PM
The film showed "Predators have a Queen and make her lay eggs to hunt" just fine. The heck else are they going to do with the concept? Show a lengthy scene of Predators deliberating the best Queen restraint mechanisms or something?

The hunting party assembling. The gearing up. The actual stalk and hunt for the Queen. The battle! The tactics used to capture her.  The tech. Then, honoring of the fallen Yautja who didn't survive the capture. Restraining the queen. Harvesting the eggs, then delivering them to a unsuspecting colonized planet. -Meet the colony.

I'm sorry you can't visualize anything better or thrilling  than the 3 minutes we received in AvP.

QuoteI think you're really overselling how much time most of the things you listed really needed to be shown properly. The only thing the film actually skimped on was the creature v creature conflict.

Sorry, but I emphatically disagree with you.  Cheers.

SM

QuoteI'm sorry you can't visualize anything better or thrilling  than the 3 minutes we received in AvP.

Because of course, that's precisely what he's saying when he says "The only thing the film actually skimped on was the creature v creature conflict."

And you don't really need to stalk and hunt a Queen.  They generally just sit there until you piss them off.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 27, 2018, 11:06:41 PM
The hunting party assembling. The gearing up. The actual stalk and hunt for the Queen. The battle! The tactics used to capture her.  The tech. Then, honoring of the fallen Yautja who didn't survive the capture. Restraining the queen. Harvesting the eggs, then delivering them to a unsuspecting colonized planet. -Meet the colony.
Which adds what to the plot, exactly? It'd be a cool scene, sure, but in terms of the story you're just padding runtime. You then have the Predators just dropping eggs off -- so why even show the Queen at all in your version?

If you presented that as an outline or a draft of a script my first note would be "ditch them catching the Queen, start with the colony".

Quote from: SM on Nov 27, 2018, 11:17:24 PM
And you don't really need to stalk and hunt a Queen.  They generally just sit there until you piss them off.
Why even hunt one? Grow one from birth.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Nov 27, 2018, 11:25:23 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 27, 2018, 11:06:41 PM

Which adds what to the plot, exactly? It'd be a cool scene, sure, but in terms of the story you're just padding runtime. You then have the Predators just dropping eggs off -- so why even show the Queen at all in your version?

"Which adds what to the plot, exactly?" "Padding runtime"  Oh, lord have mercy

QuoteIf you presented that as an outline or a draft of a script my first note would be "ditch them catching the Queen, start with the colony".

You should be hired by Fox immediately. You'd fit right in.  :P

The thread reads Changes in the AVP movies you would have made ?, and these are my changes.

SiL

If you're just going to have the Predators drop eggs and the Queen doesn't come back, your entire opening scene is a waste of time. That's bad storytelling.

What Anderson showed is what was actually relevant to the plot -- the Predators have a Queen, they make her lay eggs, she gets loose. We don't need anything more than that. How she got there is entirely irrelevant to the plot of the film.

It's not that I can't imagine anything "more exciting" than what Anderson put in the film regarding the Queen -- I just can't imagine anything that would actually be relevant and contribute more than fan service.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed