Reassembling Opinions, Talking Alien 3 With Alien Anthology Producer Charles de Lauzirika – AvPGalaxy Podcast #107

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 11, 2020, 02:54:56 PM

Author
Reassembling Opinions, Talking Alien 3 With Alien Anthology Producer Charles de Lauzirika – AvPGalaxy Podcast #107 (Read 10,463 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 107th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! In this episode we are again joined by Charles de Lauzirika, who produced the phenomenal Alien Quadrilogy, Alien Anthology and Prometheus boxsets, to discuss Alien 3, the work involved in putting the Assembly Cut together and the changing opinion of the fandom.

We discuss how Charles’ desire to tell the behind-the-scenes story of Alien 3 led to him taking on the daunting task of doing the entire Alien series, his attempts to contact David Fincher, how the discovery of a long-lost cut of Alien 3 led to the creation of the Assembly Cut of Alien 3, and plenty more!

When I ask about the Assembly Cut not being in the Region 2 version of the Anthology, it sounds like there’s a little confusion over what I actually meant. I’m talking about is it not being called the Assembly Cut in the menus, but rather Special Edition. I also mention Vincent Ward had a graphic adaptation of his script available on his website which can be found here.

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Our podcasts are now available in webcam form on our YouTube channel too! Please be sure to leave a review on whichever platform you're using!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

HuDaFuK

Been looking forward to this one!

Although at 2 hours it's gonna have to wait until tomorrow :(

Predalien39

Really enjoyed this interview.  Glad someone like Charles exists to actually make these documentaries and alternate cuts.  I'm glad you asked him about going further and touching up the fx for a possible future cut, even if I didn't love his answer. 
Maybe he's right and one day there will be a very glossy fan cut.  Would still love fir them to produce an official Final Cut though of sorts.  Add back in the dog bursted and the final ripley chestburster, along with some polished FX and that would be ideal

Evanus

Great interview! Too bad a new version with improved VFX seems to be off the table. But yeah, maybe talented fans can fix it properly someday.

Hudson

This is great so far. Love these stories of trying to contact Fincher, especially the voicemail. I hadn't heard these yet.

Great to hear so many of my other questions about edits answered too. And we need a better name for this fabled edit than "the cut we found" or whatever he keeps calling it.

Loved to hear him say something along the lines of "maybe someday" with regard to some of the other deleted material that wasn't restored. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a touched up workprint, which is probably at the top of my "take my money now" wishlist.

Keyes

Good chat :)

Thank you for asking my question regarding Murphy's missing line in the Special Edition Region 2 version, and for asking Charles what his own hypothetical fan-edit would be. Facinating!

I would love for more footage to be unearthed and released, and even if someone wanted to have a crack at a CGI runner to replace those rod puppet FX.

Janek

As an avid fan of Alien 3 this podcast was really wonderful for me. Love that you guys are working so hard to keep the fanbase entertained and informed on everything connected to the franchise.

Cheers!

j0nesy

nice interview! chuckled at the idea of ridley scott retiring after the last duel, he's going to be working until the end :P

426Buddy

Excellent interview! Always love hearing from CDL and this interview had some great insight from him. Unfortunately it was also sobering regarding any future improvement of the rod puppet effects.

Great job guys!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm glad everyone is enjoying! I'd still like to see the original rod puppet footage restored, but I completely understand Charles' point. I'd happily see a version with new CG footage of the Alien instead. I just hope a talented fan comes along in the future to do it!

Just thought I'd mention a few points from YouTube comments -

It was Alien: Echo that had red-blooded synthetics.

And that an Ox is very representative of biblical lore. A sick and dying Ox is a bad omen for a household.

seattle24

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2020, 08:35:46 AMAnd that an Ox is very representative of biblical lore. A sick and dying Ox is a bad omen for a household.

Wow. What an interesting undertone I had NO idea about. That kind of elevates my opinion of the Ox scene now to more on par with the dog (though the dog will always make more sense)

As for the pod, it was brilliant. I will always make time to hear an Alien 3 discussion. The quadrilogy and anthology are such huge pillars of fascination and knowledge in the fandom, so god bless Charles, he's a legend.

God I would love it if someone someday followed in Charles footsteps and lobbied for another kind of special cut. Completely appreciate what Charles says about a fan doing it from home, but I dunno, like Hicks said, it would be elite if someone could dive into the depths of the Fox archives for a properly authentic cut.

426Buddy

Wish he could do a special edition of both the prequels and do a "making of" for Covenant.

Itll never happen but its a dream of mine.

Evanus

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 12, 2020, 12:29:29 PM
Wish he could do a special edition of both the prequels and do a "making of" for Covenant.

Itll never happen but its a dream of mine.
Yeah, same here. Especially Covenant, the bonus features were lacklustre to say the least!

DaveT937

Well done for beating Perfect Organism to this - they only recently said on a pod of theirs that they should tap Charlie up for this very reason! Hehe

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Shit. Did they really? I approached Charles about this like a year ago. Certainly wasn't my intention. I've just actually had the time to go into research for this one and get it sorted.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed