Alien Resurrection What Happened?

Started by BlueMarsalis79, Oct 02, 2022, 06:02:29 PM

Author
Alien Resurrection What Happened? (Read 5,852 times)

BlueMarsalis79

PsyKore

PsyKore

I feel for the devs having to redo the game over and over. Would've been a nightmare. It's not for naught though; I for one still cherish this game despite its flaws. It's dark visuals, sound, atmosphere and progression is all terrific.

Also funny the analog controls got slammed back then but then they became the norm for FPS games. I think most people didn't even have analog controllers yet when this came out, so there was a bunch of people probably trying to push shit up a hill with this game using the d-pad and bumpers.

Cosmic Incubation

ooo I'll be checking this out later!
I enjoy Matt's "What Happened?" series.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Resurrection isn't as hard as some people make it out to be. The biggest mistakes a lot of people make, I've noticed, are not utilizing the pistol and the flamethrower properly. Flamethrower and pistol are primarily good for destroying eggs. If you take your time and aim right you can kill the facehugger as it hatches out of the egg. The flamethrower will scramble the eggs before they can even hatch. It's also really good for dealing with facehuggers... Don't waste the ammo of adult aliens, though.

Any time you flip a switch, pick up a key item, quick turn. You're going to get attacked. Aliens do not like player progression.

Hiveseeker used to have a great guide for the game. I can't remember if it was just Alien Trilogy, or this game as well, but with one of the games you can cheese the pick ups somehow to get a huge amount of ammo.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: OpenMaw on Oct 07, 2022, 06:50:40 PMHiveseeker used to have a great guide for the game. I can't remember if it was just Alien Trilogy, or this game as well, but with one of the games you can cheese the pick ups somehow to get a huge amount of ammo.

Oh my god, it's gone. That site was still around til very recently, and yes it was both games.

Leggs.obj

I still can't believe that dual analog was used for this game a full year ahead of Halo's release.

BlueMarsalis79

As a consequence makes it easier to go back to than contemporaries of the time.

[cancerblack]

Depends how ancient you are tbh. Mashing the D pad is still more intuitive than the sticks to my muscle memory, even though it's crude, stupid and obsolete.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I remember playing it using the d-pad and it felt pretty robotic and horrible, especially after using mouse and keyboard for PC games, but for console FPS games it was just normal at the time. The more you played it, though, you kinda adapted and compensated yourself for the bad control.

The other problem was switching between weapons and using items - I think you had to hold down a different button and keep hitting the bumpers to scroll through each thing. This system was brutally awkward/frustrating when you quickly needed a health pack while being chased by aliens.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Using the D-pad on Resurrection is basically impossible. You *need* to be able to aim. The only way to do that is with the Dual Analog system.

As to using items and such... You just have to change your way of thinking there. You don't heal mid-combat. You fight, then you address your wounds. The Aliens are just too fast to try and multi-task on that front, and the humans will take away the health as quick as you try to restore it.

Russ840

Russ840

I finished the game the first time I played with D-pad. Back then it was all I knew.

Love this game. I need to replay soon

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I played the shit out of AREs back in the day.  I know there is still a significant portion of people who would've preferred the top third person view, but the Alien series just works better in FPS.

It was nothing like the movie, which is good or bad depending on your taste, but had its own unique vibe.  Kind of like the OG Alien Trilogy game. 

I always thought the most humorous thing was that they got the actors of the movie to do voice overs for the game, and aside from Father's voice over, the rest of them just said aaaaggghhg, ooooffff,  wwwwwaaaggghh when taking damage. 

ralfy

ralfy

I think the problem is that they created too many complications, e.g., had to bring back Weaver with a clone storyline, brought in scientists, mercs, and the military, and then mixed them with the clone, aliens, alien nests, and hybrids.

[cancerblack]

Somebody didn't read the thread, just the title.

ralfy

ralfy

Middling game based on a less-than-middling movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed