Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 01, 2018, 06:39:31 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019! (Read 67,159 times)

Frosty Venom

Well they were friends on Luna before the events of Isolation and Defiance...

I'm keen to get some added in-depth characterisation and to see how their lives were playing out before their Xenomorph encounters.

Also surely the cover gets unveiled soon.

Corporal Hicks

Sweet. I do love Zula and with them together in Resistance at the minute, it'll be nice to get more of their history together.

Frosty Venom

2137-2179 is a busy time period.

Isolation, Blackout, Defiance, Resistance, Rescue, Out of the Shadows, River of Pain, Aliens, and Alien 3.

Sweet mercy!

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Mar 09, 2019, 05:27:08 PM
2137-2179 is a busy time period.

Isolation, Blackout, Defiance, Resistance, Rescue, Out of the Shadows, River of Pain, Aliens, and Alien 3.

Sweet mercy!

Out of the Shadows has been decanonised due to Davi creating the aliens but I see your point.

Frosty Venom

He created the Planet 4 Xenomorphs at least... But lets not get into that.

Perfect-Organism

It's also a great fun read but a ridiculous premise.

The Old One

The Old One

Ridiculous, indeed. Tim Lebbon's, Christopher Golden and James A Moore's Alien novels.
&
The Amanda Ripley Chronicles... stretches the Alien universe's verisimilitude.

Perfect-Organism

Oh come on!  Mandy's just looking for her mom!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 10, 2019, 12:42:52 PMOut of the Shadows has been decanonised due to Davi creating the aliens but I see your point.

Out of the Shadows was decanonised before it even began by the fact you can see Ripley's harpoon gun still wedged under the Narcissus door at the start of Aliens :P

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed and regarding Amanda Ripley:

"Alien's about blue collar
working Joes, most of which-
if their mother disappeared
in the vast expanse of space
would grieve and then move on.
Guess we're lucky that
Amanda Ripley's the Hollywood perseverance archetype."

"All entries in the series that have forced the inclusion of something/someone Ripley have suffered from it.
Isolation's a fluke, that succeeded because Amanda Ripley had no character- we filled her shoes.
So when she was saying goodbye to Ellen Ripley for the last time, so were we.

& Amanda Ripley's purpose is fulfilled narratively and thematically with that conclusion."

Xiggz456

::) it's a fictional universe... CHILL! But in regards to your points, modern day truckers make $100k a year so now imagine how much more a space trucker would make! They would most likely NOT be poor "working joes" ("working joes" I'd imagine would be stuck earthside making much less). As for Amanda Ripley's purpose, well once she found out the truth about her mother she'd be essentially purposeless; naturally that leads people to seek out a new purpose. All the better if that new purpose includes something ALIEN related.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, ignore Alien's intention and the entire series text and subtext lol.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/alien-40-ridley-scott-sigourney-weaver

Character's stories finish and a believable fiction's the result.
Alien's a realistic fiction masterpiece, the Amanda Ripley adventures idea is unrealistic.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 22, 2019, 02:40:00 AM
No, but records could've been falsified by the "Special Order" cabal. We don't really know how her story ends, that's not what worries me about utilizing Amanda Ripley. It's artfully finishing a story set between Alien and Aliens, which doesn't make the latter seem absurd that worries me, or seem absurd in of itself.

Xiggz456

I'm not ignoring anything except your opinions.

The Old One

The Old One

Aggression? *Shrugs*
Apologies.

E.G
Amanda Ripley and Zula Hendricks together, believable?

After encountering the Alien? Yes.
Before encountering the Alien? No.

Xiggz456

Ha whatever makes you feel better.

Back to the topic, Keith R.A. Decandido mentioned a few days ago on Twitter that he was "going over the remaining notes of Alien Isolation" which leads me to believe that the novel is still going through edits/rewrites. Probably explains why we don't have a concrete release date yet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed