Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #44

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 30, 2016, 08:03:03 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #44 (Read 27,436 times)

Feeds On Minds

The series is so f**ked up now, honestly I would just like them to start over from scratch. 

Xenomorphine

Quote from: RidgeTop on Dec 31, 2016, 02:16:50 AM
Agreed as far as Millburn and Fifield go. As far as breathable air, the planet was still unstudied so they would have no idea what sort of pathogens they would be exposing themselves to by removing their helmets, especially in an environment built by an Alien race.

As Ridgetop says, there could have been anything in the atmosphere. It's not just about chemical composition.

But it was also about them knowing they could have been infecting their environment.

Here, it's even more obvious, because they clearly know the place has vegetation. They know some kind of life is definitely around. They'd be aware that, even if no animal organisms are present, plants can be dangerous. Hell, we're shown what amounts to fungal infection taking place in this footage! :)

It might be that none of these characters are scientists, this time around (even if the David 8 clone should have basic quarantine procedures uploaded), but even a military grunt would have strict protocols to follow on a world like that. It might not have been a big plot point in 'Prometheus', but it still served to make the characters look like idiots.

Honestly, I think it would have worked better if we saw some kind of thorny tendrils lash out and tear through someone's suit or needle-sharp projectiles impale someone's breathing hose. Something aggressive, even if the victim would remain oblivious until they got back.

skhellter

skhellter

The Covenant crew might be under the impression that "paradise" is just a secret terraformed planet (created by humans) and that the "strange signal" comes from an old Weyland research station that is in trouble.
From above they examine and find breathable air, lots of absolutely earth-like forests.... the buildings they see might be confused with human settlements, etc..
In short, they have no idea about "Engineers", their Paradise or the Prometheus expedition..
So they just land, assume that everything is fine with the local earth-like fauna/flora and immediately try to find the signal's source.
"maybe it's just a busted communications tower" and they think they can help.

I think that's the easiest way to explain away the lack of special hazard suits.

Ingwar

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 31, 2016, 05:16:36 PM
The covenant crew might be under the impression that "paradise" is just a secret terraformed planet (created by humans) and that the "strange signal" comes from an old Weyland research station that is in trouble.
From above they examine and find breathable air, lots of absolutely earth-like forests.... the buildings they see might be confused with human settlements, etc..
In short, they have no idea about "Engineers", their Paradise or the Prometheus expedition..
So they just land, assume that everything is fine with the local earth-like fauna/flora and immediately try to find the signal's source.
I think that's the easiest way to explain away the lack of special hazard suits.

Agree but at the end we cannot judge that based upon the trailer. It might be somehow addressed in the movie. We just have to wait.

shawsbaby

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 31, 2016, 05:28:09 PM
Quote from: skhellter on Dec 31, 2016, 05:16:36 PM
The covenant crew might be under the impression that "paradise" is just a secret terraformed planet (created by humans) and that the "strange signal" comes from an old Weyland research station that is in trouble.

Agree but at the end we cannot judge that based upon the trailer. It might be somehow addressed in the movie. We just have to wait.

Agreed. I highly doubt it goes unaddressed in the film, as silly as the explanation might be.

rabidranger

It is interesting that the Covenant appears to be a colonization ship. Besides the crew there are hundreds if not thousands of colonists on board-correct?

Ingwar

Quote from: rabidranger on Dec 31, 2016, 09:56:40 PM
It is interesting that the Covenant appears to be a colonization ship. Besides the crew there are hundreds if not thousands of colonists on board-correct?

Correct.

OpenMaw

Quote from: shawsbaby on Dec 31, 2016, 09:47:26 PM
Agreed. I highly doubt it goes unaddressed in the film, as silly as the explanation might be.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

shawsbaby

Quote from: rabidranger on Dec 31, 2016, 09:56:40 PM

Yes. It would seem only some of the crew are awakened earlier than planned?

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .well if it's not explained in the movie. .is it really gonna keep u guys up at night?. .i mean personally i would think that it was not clever on their part either. But it's not gonna spoil the  entire movie for me. .i am not gonna suddenly jump up and leave the cinema. .i mean they have to get infected somehow. .sure you could have some tendril plant ripping thrue fabrick. . Then you might as well have walking trees. . I mean who's gonna land on that planet?

DorkiDori

Quote from: juxtapose on Jan 01, 2017, 06:15:02 AM
. .well if it's not explained in the movie. .is it really gonna keep u guys up at night?

YES!!!!!!

juxtapose

. .well i sincerely hope that they offer an explanation then. .insomnia aint fun. .lol

SciFiWasabi

While I feel like David creating the Alien is a terrible idea, if they detach the series from AVP, it would be very intentional.  Just look at Star Wars.  The EU was huge, but only a very small portion of it was any good.  The Alien/Predator/AVP EU is already very convoluted and contradictory.  Restarting and streamlining what is canon would be a very good thing.  Am I the only one who doesn't want the Blomkamp film?  He's a terrible storyteller.  Great visual eye, but if he writes it, it will suck.  He basically always tells the same story.

Ingwar

Regarding taking helmets off in Prometheus.

[as they reach an area of the structure that has water streaming down and the sun shining through the open ceiling]
Charlie Holloway: Look at this!
Elizabeth Shaw: Oh, Charlie!
Ford: Jesus! Sun light's heating the water. Check out the humidity.
Charlie Holloway: Yeah, look at the CO2 levels. Outside it's completely toxic and in...in here, there's nothing. It's breathable.
[as Holloway prepares to take off his helmet]
Elizabeth Shaw: What are you doing? Charlie, don't be an idiot!
Charlie Holloway: Hey, don't be a skeptic. Right? There's something generating an atmosphere. David?
David: Dr. Holloway is correct.
Ford: Cleaner than earth, actually.
Charlie Holloway: They were terraforming here!
Elizabeth Shaw: Please, don't do...
Charlie Holloway: Look, Eli...
Elizabeth Shaw: Please, don't!
Charlie Holloway: Eli, I'm not wearing this thing anymore! Wish me luck, babe.
[he takes off his helmet, takes a large breath of the air and laughs]
Elizabeth Shaw: You crazy bastard!

RidgeTop

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 01, 2017, 10:00:59 PM
Regarding taking helmets off in Prometheus.

[as they reach an area of the structure that has water streaming down and the sun shining through the open ceiling]
Charlie Holloway: Look at this!
Elizabeth Shaw: Oh, Charlie!
Ford: Jesus! Sun light's heating the water. Check out the humidity.
Charlie Holloway: Yeah, look at the CO2 levels. Outside it's completely toxic and in...in here, there's nothing. It's breathable.
[as Holloway prepares to take off his helmet]
Elizabeth Shaw: What are you doing? Charlie, don't be an idiot!
Charlie Holloway: Hey, don't be a skeptic. Right? There's something generating an atmosphere. David?
David: Dr. Holloway is correct.
Ford: Cleaner than earth, actually.
Charlie Holloway: They were terraforming here!
Elizabeth Shaw: Please, don't do...
Charlie Holloway: Look, Eli...
Elizabeth Shaw: Please, don't!
Charlie Holloway: Eli, I'm not wearing this thing anymore! Wish me luck, babe.
[he takes off his helmet, takes a large breath of the air and laughs]
Elizabeth Shaw: You crazy bastard!

That might have been enough for some to buy scientists making that kind of decision after a few sentences, but for plenty of audiences it was not. It was one of the main issues Prometheus was mocked on.

at 0:40
https://youtu.be/RBaKqOMGPWc?t=40s

at 0:54
https://youtu.be/-BWnTW4rL0U?t=54s

Again, all they could see was basic atmospheric content, they had no idea what kind of pathogens might be present in that environment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed