Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,315 times)

juxtapose

juxtapose

i might have mentioned this before in another thread. .but it's been awhile and i don't think i eloborated much. .anyway a fair comparison in regards to another fox franchise. .Percy Jackson first movie cost 95 mil and earned 226 worldwide, very close to what covenant is currently at and Percy got a sequel made, in 2013 it was made at a cost of 90 mil and earned 200 mil at the box office. .bringing the franchise to a screeching halt. .so i think their is hope for a covenant sequel based on those numbers. . ?

. .so if covenant can just make it to about 240. .then i think a sequel is more than justifiable. . .

Kane's other son

Of course there's hope. Alien is one of Fox's most valuable commodities.
As long as the movies remain in circulation and licensing deals continue to bring in cash, they will not let it die.

gantarat

gantarat

Well,Percy Jackson it's movies base from novel, people can go find the book and read them if sequel movie didn't get made.

but Covenant it's prequel movie that lead to original movie and story in the movie not connect to original yet (end with cliffhanger)

i don't think fox would let prequel story end like this (unless they do sequel in comic or novel)

tleilaxu

Also keep in mind that Alien probably sells a lot more merch than Percy Jackson.

BishopShouldGo

Whatever helps you guys sleep at night.

bb-15

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 23, 2017, 11:56:03 AM
i might have mentioned this before in another thread. .but it's been awhile and i don't think i eloborated much. .anyway a fair comparison in regards to another fox franchise. .Percy Jackson first movie cost 95 mil and earned 226 worldwide, very close to what covenant is currently at and Percy got a sequel made, in 2013 it was made at a cost of 90 mil and earned 200 mil at the box office. .bringing the franchise to a screeching halt. .so i think their is hope for a covenant sequel based on those numbers. . ?

. .so if covenant can just make it to about 240. .then i think a sequel is more than justifiable. . .

I think your prediction from those production budget / box office numbers makes sense.
Eventually imo Fox will give the approval for another Alien prequel movie.
But the new film will have a lower budget than "Covenant".

The new movie will complete an Alien prequel trilogy which I expect Fox will package as a set with special edition versions.

;)

juxtapose

juxtapose

i am sick of hoping. .i just wanne know already. .!. .i think the odds are good for a sequel. .but oh well if fox does'nt wanne make another then so be it. .it looks like percy is getting a tv series. .not that i care. .but in the event of no sequel. .then a tv series would be the next best thing. .

Predaker

I really don't think the lackluster BO performance of Covenant will stop FOX dead in their tracks on a sequel. With Ridley Scott at the helm and a decent pitch, they'll keep on truckin'.

However, at this point we don't really need any more prequels. There isn't a whole lot to offer up other than rehashing the themes already present in Prometheus/Covenant, cementing David as the progenitor beyond any "reasonable doubt," and some cute action sequences that shoehorn this new series directly into ALIEN (S.O. 937 and all.)

At least we would presumably get a modern take on the original Giger design in all its biomechanical glory. I'm always game for a new Alien film that will at least be entertaining.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 23, 2017, 09:02:29 PM
At least we would presumably get a modern take on the original Giger design in all its biomechanical glory. I'm always game for a new Alien film that will at least be entertaining.

People clamor for him and want more Giger. The guy is dead. I liked him in Alien, the work he did, but I also like Mobius, Scott, Cobb, O'Bannon and everyone else who worked on that movie. It's not just Giger. His design for the alien was great, but it was made in stages, and didn't Shusset come up with the look for the facehugger? Yeah, it's a pretty suit, and the Jockey was based off a painting of Giger's, and the ship was something Scott and Giger worked on, together.

It'd be nice if he had more opportunities before he passed to work more in film, but the fact of the matter is is he was a private European artist who had a chance to work on a handful of films, but mainly didn't work in film. He was an artist before he was a filmmaker. The fact that he got chosen to work on Alien at all was a miracle (you can thank Scott for that one). I'll take what I get from Scott and company at this stage because frankly that's what we're going to get.

The guy's dead. I don't want more of him, because, well, again, dead as a door nail.

Evanus

I want more Giger.

Huggs

Seeing a true Giger-world on film would be amazing, but it'll likely never happen outside of the videogame arena. I'd love it if it turned out that the Giger-world played "Hell" to Covenant's "Paradise", and it was from this biomechanical hell that the xenomorph actually originated. But again, having panic stricken scientists or marines run into a large biomechanical womb only to be surrounded by walls full of black death might not have an easy time getting the green light.

bb-15

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 23, 2017, 11:13:34 PM
... I also like Mobius, Scott, Cobb, O'Bannon and everyone else who worked on that movie. It's not just Giger. His design for the alien was great, but it was made in stages, and didn't Shusset come up with the look for the facehugger? Yeah, it's a pretty suit, and the Jockey was based off a painting of Giger's, and the ship was something Scott and Giger worked on, together...

That's the core idea, the designs in the Alien franchise were a team effort.
I agree with your list of all these contributors.
- I'd just like to add a recent name who has had an influence on the prequel designs, Jon Spaihts.
Spaihts in his scripts came up with the classic Greek/Roman sculpture look of the Engineers. And that opened up the design range of the Engineer's buildings / art to include classic ancient earth motifs (giant head sculptures/statues, Renaissance style ceiling painting).   

- The Alien film design language is a mixture of the efforts of many creative people.

;)

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 21, 2017, 04:37:22 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 21, 2017, 03:53:13 AM
Sad to hear they're not getting the full film. Censorship is (in and of itself) a vile thing. I don't personally think Scott's steering this towards some large-scale intergalactic showdown. Unless the series gets handed to another director, such as Cameron or N.B., I don't see the Colonial Marines appearing on film in a significant way anytime soon, if ever again. This is, after all, a cash business. And unless it's got marvel or Disney attached to it, the love of the fan base only counts so much. A hard lesson was learned from King Arthur this year, and the reduced intake for covenant over Prometheus won't exactly help either. Perhaps it's time to get off this road of trying to keep everything intrinsically linked together. Maybe the only common link needed is the creature itself. They're ancient, and they're out there, everywhere. Plenty of different stories to be told. You don't need the company or Ripley to always be involved. Maybe reference other future films with wreckage and bones, but keep the blood fresh and release the kraken.

Or just have Jack Sparrow in an ironman suit swinging wonder woman's sword at a mummified Barbosa in the Mechanical Batsuit from D.O.J. while onboard a Juggernaut that's hurtling towards the sun and being chased by the guardians. And have tom cruise running, it doesn't matter where.

How about Scott's intention to make Haldeman's 'Forever War' into a movie?  He's been wanting to make a 'large scale intergalacitic showdown.' for years  You better believe it.  That's exactly where this is heading.

As for Disney touching this property lol.  If you think the Chinese censors removing content was bad enough, then can you imagine what the Disney cut of any 'ALIEN' movie would be like? 

Say goodbye to any violence, sexual references, androids kissing...  Say goodbye to anything remotely suggestive - fachuggers would be gone, no phallic Aliens allowed... at all.  It would be worse than Chinese censorship version because no one will get to see the movie the way it was intended because like you say, Disney is a business and Disney will only tackle safe bets for lowest common denominator audiences.  They make kids shows and 'ALIEN' is not a safe bet or child friendly.   

f**k Disney.  Never, ever let them near anything of any real value unless you want to entertain children and family friendly audiences with mediocre content.  f**k that. 

"I say we should nuke Disney and their PG13 friendly market from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."

-Windebieste.

Right?! It seems like the Alien series is in legitimate danger from getting snatched up by Disney! YUCK! I hate how popular their stupid critically acclaimed content is.

SM

SM

:laugh:

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 23, 2017, 11:13:34 PM
Quote from: Predaker on Jun 23, 2017, 09:02:29 PM

People clamor for him and want more Giger. The guy is dead. I liked him in Alien, the work he did, but I also like Mobius, Scott, Cobb, O'Bannon and everyone else who worked on that movie. It's not just Giger. His design for the alien was great, but it was made in stages, and didn't Shusset come up with the look for the facehugger? Yeah, it's a pretty suit, and the Jockey was based off a painting of Giger's, and the ship was something Scott and Giger worked on, together.

It'd be nice if he had more opportunities before he passed to work more in film, but the fact of the matter is is he was a private European artist who had a chance to work on a handful of films, but mainly didn't work in film. He was an artist before he was a filmmaker. The fact that he got chosen to work on Alien at all was a miracle (you can thank Scott for that one). I'll take what I get from Scott and company at this stage because frankly that's what we're going to get.

The guy's dead. I don't want more of him, because, well, again, dead as a door nail.

Don't forget Carlo Rambaldi who created hydraulics for the Alien's head.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed