Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 275,809 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 21, 2017, 04:37:22 AM
How about Scott's intention to make Haldeman's 'Forever War' into a movie?  He's been wanting to make a 'large scale intergalacitic showdown.' for years  You better believe it.  That's exactly where this is heading.

The action isn't really the point of Forever War, though. It's the stuff in between. And from the way Scott talked about the Alien sequels in the recent Empire interview (whether he was right or wrong), he really seemed to dislike the action route that some of the sequels took. I don't think he'd be any rush to really go there himself.

Huggs

"46 year old Pete Postlethwaite outran a xenomorph"

I'm talking open ground. I could see Tom pulling it off in a movie, maybe a field scene. The guy's always running and he's got speed. I think poor ol' Pete was being toyed with.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 21, 2017, 08:49:21 AM

I'm talking open ground. I could see Tom pulling it off in a movie, maybe a field scene. The guy's always running and he's got speed. I think poor ol' Pete was being toyed with.

"the guys always running" lol. This is very true.

Quote from: SM on Jun 21, 2017, 05:54:00 AM
Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 21, 2017, 05:07:45 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Jun 21, 2017, 04:37:22 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 21, 2017, 03:53:13 AM
Sad to hear they're not getting the full film. Censorship is (in and of itself) a vile thing. I don't personally think Scott's steering this towards some large-scale intergalactic showdown. Unless the series gets handed to another director, such as Cameron or N.B., I don't see the Colonial Marines appearing on film in a significant way anytime soon, if ever again. This is, after all, a cash business. And unless it's got marvel or Disney attached to it, the love of the fan base only counts so much. A hard lesson was learned from King Arthur this year, and the reduced intake for covenant over Prometheus won't exactly help either. Perhaps it's time to get off this road of trying to keep everything intrinsically linked together. Maybe the only common link needed is the creature itself. They're ancient, and they're out there, everywhere. Plenty of different stories to be told. You don't need the company or Ripley to always be involved. Maybe reference other future films with wreckage and bones, but keep the blood fresh and release the kraken.

Or just have Jack Sparrow in an ironman suit swinging wonder woman's sword at a mummified Barbosa in the Mechanical Batsuit from D.O.J. while onboard a Juggernaut that's hurtling towards the sun and being chased by the guardians. And have tom cruise running, it doesn't matter where.

How about Scott's intention to make Haldeman's 'Forever War' into a movie?  He's been wanting to make a 'large scale intergalacitic showdown.' for years  You better believe it.  That's exactly where this is heading.

As for Disney touching this property lol.  If you think the Chinese censors removing content was bad enough, then can you imagine what the Disney cut of any 'ALIEN' movie would be like? 

Say goodbye to any violence, sexual references, androids kissing...  Say goodbye to anything remotely suggestive - fachuggers would be gone, no phallic Aliens allowed... at all.  It would be worse than Chinese censorship version because no one will get to see the movie the way it was intended because like you say, Disney is a business and Disney will only tackle safe bets for lowest common denominator audiences.  They make kids shows and 'ALIEN' is not a safe bet or child friendly.   

f**k Disney.  Never, ever let them near anything of any real value unless you want to entertain children and family friendly audiences with mediocre content.  f**k that. 

"I say we should nuke Disney and their PG13 friendly market from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."

-Windebieste.

I agree 100%.

Disney is Killing Star Wars.

Today, Disney fired Lord & Miller from the Han Solo movie.

Two movies, $3b box office, glowing reviews.

lol "killing".

All ships, prepare to jump to hyperbole...

It's pretty obvious he means that they are killing the story. Of course they are making loads of money off the brand.

As for the "glowing" reviews, I can't speak on behalf of others but I enjoyed The Force Awakens and Rogue One yet still believe they are an abomination to the original stories. Anyway, that's another conversation.

SM

SM

But if the reviews and box office are that substantial - pretty obvious they're not killing off anything; people are enjoying it enough to watch it in droves.  If the Last Jedi tanks, then maybe he'd have a point...

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 21, 2017, 08:49:21 AM

In slow-mo.  ;D

Huggs

Oh you got to have that John Woo slow-mo action. It's just the way you do it.

I'd still like to re-iterate I meant that a studio may not shell out funds to make large scale pictures (in general) just because there's a dedicated fanbase. Unless it is a type of film that is bound to reap a decent profit, such as Disney or Marvel movies often do, studios may not get too heavily invested. It's a cash business, a "butt-in-seat" business, and given the choice between Philosophical Space Horror or Beauty and the Jurassic Pirates, I doubt they'll increase the budget for the next Alien film just because Ridley and fans want something epic. I could almost hear the purse strings tightening when Arthur nose dived, and covenant isn't exactly setting benchmarks. I think the budget may stay the same going forward.

The thought of Disney making an Alien movie? Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. But keep your eyes peeled people, you might spot a xeno skull over some off-world bar in the next star wars film, or the collector's place in Guardians 3. "shudders"

Mr. Xenomorph

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 22, 2017, 03:47:27 AM
The thought of Disney making an Alien movie? Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

In space, no one can get you ice cream...

SM

SM

I dunno. The Black Hole had some freaky bits in it.

PierreVW

Quote from: SM on Jun 22, 2017, 04:55:46 AM

The Black Hole was made in the 1980s.

30 YEARS AGO. DiFFERENT Disney. DIFFERENT World.

Ingwar

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: SM on Jun 21, 2017, 06:57:34 AM
46 year old Pete Postlethwaite outran a xenomorph.

Xeno was playing, it would have snapped him in half in a split second if it wanted to like Jude.

bb-15

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 22, 2017, 09:07:22 PM
41 millions in China so far.

http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily/

Looking good.
Box Office Mojo has total box office at $220 million so far.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=alienparadiselost.htm

Plus China isn't done and the release in Japan is still coming.

;)

SM

SM

Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 22, 2017, 08:20:39 PM

You DON'T SAY?

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on Jun 22, 2017, 09:11:05 PM

Xeno was playing, it would have snapped him in half in a split second if it wanted to like Jude.

Jude outran it too.  And Kevin.

PierreVW

Quote from: SM on Jun 22, 2017, 11:01:56 PM
Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 22, 2017, 08:20:39 PM

You DON'T SAY?

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on Jun 22, 2017, 09:11:05 PM

Jude outran it too.  And Kevin.

The fact is Disney changed.

You fight about nothing.

SM

SM

I thought the joke was really, REALLY OBVIOUS.

Clearly not.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed