[Updated] Prometheus 2 'Paradise' hits theaters in Nov. 2015!

Started by Chris P, Jan 16, 2014, 01:59:28 AM

Author
[Updated] Prometheus 2 'Paradise' hits theaters in Nov. 2015! (Read 10,327 times)

Clemens2781

I don't think we'll see a follow up. Yes $400M box office world wide is by no means shabby, but it got that on the back of massive hype and advertising which, if you factor that into the existing budget,distributors take, you're talking break even, a touch in the black, nothing more. Think Tron:Legacy. And the public won't be sucked by a film again that has all it's major beats in an over-exposed trailer. Even RS was pissed off Fox marketing did that. Oh, and by the way Fox, don't put a cue  from the score/sound effect from Alien all over the place and then fall short on the concrete Alien(1979) connections. I'm not a naive movie goer(/and an Alien geek) by any standing and while, on the 2nd viewing, it went up in my estimation, but the Lindelof trips and traps got right up my nose. PLEASE, PLEASE don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a Lindelof hater..RS was in charge, it's his show and he should take the flak.We all know if he didn't want on screen...it weren't on screen guys.Essentially it puffed its chest out and couldn't match it's bragging.I can't wait to see what Dark House do with the title, but i think the themes and ideals will be better served there.Thoughts?

Gash

I'm not sure what the point is of Dark Horse developing the story when that story will almost certainly be nullified by the sequel. 

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

Who cares as long as you can make money until then  :laugh:
And of course most people that watch the movies don't read the comics and don't bother if it's "canon" or not.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Gash on Feb 22, 2014, 11:26:53 AM
I'm not sure what the point is of Dark Horse developing the story when that story will almost certainly be nullified by the sequel.

That same logic can be applied to the Aliens series. Should Dark Horse have not expanded that mythology? I don't care one way or another if it gets wiped from 'canon' at a later time. I just want the stories to be good.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Clemens2781 on Feb 22, 2014, 04:05:16 AM
I don't think we'll see a follow up. Yes $400M box office world wide is by no means shabby, but it got that on the back of massive hype and advertising which, if you factor that into the existing budget,distributors take, you're talking break even, a touch in the black, nothing more. Think Tron:Legacy. And the public won't be sucked by a film again that has all it's major beats in an over-exposed trailer. Even RS was pissed off Fox marketing did that. Oh, and by the way Fox, don't put a cue  from the score/sound effect from Alien all over the place and then fall short on the concrete Alien(1979) connections. I'm not a naive movie goer(/and an Alien geek) by any standing and while, on the 2nd viewing, it went up in my estimation, but the Lindelof trips and traps got right up my nose. PLEASE, PLEASE don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a Lindelof hater..RS was in charge, it's his show and he should take the flak.We all know if he didn't want on screen...it weren't on screen guys.Essentially it puffed its chest out and couldn't match it's bragging.I can't wait to see what Dark House do with the title, but i think the themes and ideals will be better served there.Thoughts?

Prometheus didn't break even. Budget of 200-250 million including marketing (film was made for 150m if I can remember). Then add home sales. Prometheus was a financial success. Fox has green lit the film so it's already happening.

CainsSon

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Feb 23, 2014, 05:08:08 PM
Quote from: Clemens2781 on Feb 22, 2014, 04:05:16 AM

Prometheus didn't break even. Budget of 200-250 million including marketing (film was made for 150m if I can remember). Then add home sales. Prometheus was a financial success. Fox has green lit the film so it's already happening.

I just want to take the opp to remind everyone that if we DON'T get a PROMETHEUS 2, we will almost certainly get an ALIEN Reboot. The question isn't whether there WILL be a sequel but rather, what that Alien-sequel will be. One need only look at the history of the franchise to be convinced a sequel is for certain. PROMETHEUS followed AVP-R. AVP-R!.... The franchise is worth more than the success of the previous film, and this last one was more successful than the last 3, and we still got 4 more after those. The only thing in the air really is what that sequel will be. Will it be a Prometheus sequel that is more ALIEN related? Will it move further away from Alien, as Scott wanted? Will that be the case and we will see Fox make sequels to both Prometheus AND Alien? Maybe an adaptation of Alien Isolation? That seems like a possibility because its a logical way to continue the Alien series. So really, PROMETHEUS was brilliant because it successfully turned a franchise of 3 into a franchise of 4. Think about it. There's now the ALIEN franchise, The AVP Franchise, The Predator Franchise and now PROMETHEUS. They can turn those over onto themselves for years to come. Maybe decades.

As for the comics, Im not gonna go find the quote now, but in that last interview with the Dark Horse Developer, he stated something to the effect that all the stories they were developing didn't really continue on from the films, but were informed by all of them. I could have misconstrued something, and if I did, I apologize and hope someone else can elaborate.

Game_Over_Man

I'd rather have a movie version of Alien : Isolation than Prometheus 2...I think it's a great way of sustaining Ripley's legacy, whose story was always more interesting than anything else in the series.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Feb 24, 2014, 10:11:24 PM
I'd rather have a movie version of Alien : Isolation than Prometheus 2...I think it's a great way of sustaining Ripley's legacy, whose story was always more interesting than anything else in the series.

I don't feel the same, Isolation is fine because it's one game but otherwise you're disrespecting Alien3.

Ripley should've died with Alien3.

Let the franchise move on.

SM

She did die in Alien3.

Game_Over_Man

And subsequently brought back to life albeit as a clone...she's still alive in the story, and I want her to wipe out company with an army of Xeno's...

Master

Ripley 8 is different character. She thinks differently, she acts differently.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Feb 25, 2014, 05:49:56 PM
And subsequently brought back to life albeit as a clone...she's still alive in the story, and I want her to wipe out company with an army of Xeno's...

What Master said Ripley 8 is a different person and Ripley's legacy as well as herself should've died with Alien3.

Infected

Ripley and Hicks and Newt should have kept missing in space or just came back to Earth with the Sulaco,
the movies continued from alien 3 with the focus on Ripley while the movie is called Alien(s) they just shifted the lead role to Ripley instead of the deadly and mysterious xenomorph,
wich was the worst idea and have lead to the crap movies after Aliens.

RobThom

Do you think the built in audience will fall for it twice?

Thats an uphill one.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: RobThom on Mar 13, 2014, 08:17:32 PM
Do you think the built in audience will fall for it twice?

Thats an uphill one.

What?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed