Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 639,236 times)

Mus

Mus

Quote from: Lie1295 on Mar 15, 2010, 07:06:14 PM
How does she lay the egg without an Eggsac? She cant just squat it out. XD And why would she need a egg for anyway she can produce her own when shes ready

Why not? Women do it as well. The eggsack isn't necessarily anything more than a tube connected to the Queen's womb, where the eggs actually are produced. Hypothetically. Like so:

Quote from: Mus on Mar 15, 2010, 11:25:23 AM
there could easily still be eggs inside the Queen after the ovipositor is detached. If we believe Wikipedia, "in some of the insects the organ is used merely to attach the egg to some surface", which essentially just makes it a tool for placing the eggs more accurately. However, removing the ovipositor wouldn't make it impossible to get the eggs out of the "womb" if you will, so the Queen could easily have laid the remaining egg or two inside the ship and placed them somewhere safe.

I personally like the idea, as that would essentially render the eggsack/ovipositor a penis. On a pregnant female. Now that's some twisted shit, mang.

Proj2501

Proj2501

The egg sack serves for futher growth of the eggs.

We can see this egg in comparison to the lettering, which suffice is to say is probably not enormous, is fairly small.

The eggs grow in size in the Egg Sack and they are receiving nutrients from the Queen. Think breast feeding.

These eggs are much bigger by comparison.

The Hyena

The Hyena

Some insects don't require an ovipositor.  Surely the 'perfect organism' would have developed to not be totally reliant on the Ovipositor correct?

Think in terms of Yeast.

SM

SM

Quote from: Proj2501 on Mar 15, 2010, 07:55:21 PM
The egg sack serves for futher growth of the eggs.

We can see this egg in comparison to the lettering, which suffice is to say is probably not enormous, is fairly small.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/avpgalaxy/avpg/forum/image002.jpg

The eggs grow in size in the Egg Sack and they are receiving nutrients from the Queen. Think breast feeding.

These eggs are much bigger by comparison.
http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/film_images/Alien_Cane_examining_egg.jpg

Comparison to what?  There's no point of reference in the first shot.

Politikon

Politikon

AAAAAHHH!!!!!

Not the EGG question again!!!

Look there actually is an answer to this question, but it's NOT ACTUALLY AN ANSWER.

Here goes.

This thing with the EEV crash landing with an ALIEN both on board and inside Ripley is one of the left-overs from the Vincent Ward script.

If you watch interviews with Ward, he explains that his intention was to sort of imply that Ripley's quilt over all this tragedy has sort of created the ALIEN, or better yet that the origin of it does not even matter because she is so haunted by these monsters that it simply is eternally manifest in her life...then through all the religious metaphors in part 3 it is/Ripley is meant to resemble a sort of distorted version of the Virgin birth of Jesus....only it will destroy the world. It helps to make sense if you think of A:3 as sort of THE OMEN, only the Antichrist is called 'A BEAST' of 'DRAGON' and has been created by it's mother's mental state.

That said, while I like the depth of this idea, coming off of ALIENS, which is more straight forward than any of the ALIEN films, it was an extremely bad decision. Especially since mid way through Production the studio decided to not explain this properly, causing all kinds of problems.

That said, it's my theory that the COLONIAL MARINES game, if it ever sees the light of day, will explain the Egg's origin in a much more traditional way.

Proj2501

Proj2501

Quote from: Politikon on Mar 16, 2010, 02:09:45 AM
This thing with the EEV crash landing with an ALIEN both on board and inside Ripley is one of the left-overs from the Vincent Ward script.

After reading all that, I'm happy it was scrapped. Simply manifesting in Ripley's (Neo Virgin Mary's) presence...ugh.

Quote from: SM on Mar 15, 2010, 10:39:58 PM
Comparison to what?  There's no point of reference in the first shot.

Compared to the lettering of 'SULACO'. Normally, structural-identifying lettering similar on ships, trucks and planes are relatively small. Repeat: THE LETTERS NEXT TO THE EGG ARE MOST LIKELY NO MORE THAN 8-9 INCHES IN LENGTH.

Also, I don't know how crazy you want to get with this, but the lighting on the edges of the metal structure dones't suggest an enormous wall or anything.

SM

SM

Nothing in that shot suggests anything other than "Open egg on the Sulaco  dun-dun-duuuuuun!!!".  From which came a normal sized facehugger.

Putting something in all caps isn't going to suddenly make it somehow factual.

Politikon

Politikon

Quote from: Proj2501 on Mar 16, 2010, 05:00:45 AM
Quote from: Politikon on Mar 16, 2010, 02:09:45 AM

After reading all that, I'm happy it was scrapped. Simply manifesting in Ripley's (Neo Virgin Mary's) presence...ugh.

MY RESPONSE:

Well, the thing is IT kinda wasn't scrapped. And it's not that the ALIEN is supposed to be literally manifesting in Ripley's presence. More like it was meant to be expressionistic..er something. Like a symbol of her guilt or like wishing something into existence.
It'snot meant to be clear and it's almost as if the movie is saying it doesn't matter. I didn't mean to imply, that is....It's not as if the Vincent Ward script out right SAYS this, it is just an arty thing that ended up n ALIEN 3. And while this was an unpopular decision, this actually is the answer to this question.

The egg didnt come from any of those things. It's not meant to be explained because EXPRESSIONISM doesn't need to explain it...

To be honest, it kinda would be a waste of time to include the 'WHERE the alien came from' part of the story in ALIEN 3.
BUT ONLY IF THE STORY IS WHAT THE STORY IS, because if WARD's story, most of which thematically ended up in ALIEN 3, is the story they wanted to tell, the spending time getting the ALIEN there would have just been wasteful.

To take it a step further, I think most people just dont like the story ALIEN 3 chose to tell and the egg on the Sulaco is kinda unimportant to telling that story, which is entirely about and expressionist version of Ripley's mental state. The ALIEN's location doesnt even matter. She'll never escape it at that point.

Another important thing to consider is whether or not ALIENS is actually providing false hope at the end. I mean, the dumbest thing in any of the ALIEN films, IMO, is that they get into hyper sleep at the end of ALIENS as if everything is right as rain. Meanwhile, they are obviously in the middle of an on going disaster...

SM

SM

The Aliens were - as far as they were concerned - destroyed.

There was no "on going disaster".

Politikon

Politikon

The disaster I speak of is what they were returning to back home. An absolute mess. Just like Ripley returning after ALIEN, only worse.

Think about it. They just blew up a colony of Terraformers after surviving an ALien attack that killed numberous Marines. Thats not even to mention the Company or what the MIlitary would do to them...They are walking into an all around disaster.

stephen

stephen

Thats right SM.

There was no ongoing disaster.  And lets look at it a little closer.

At the start of Aliens we see that Ripley survived her encounter with the Alien physically, but she didn't survive mentally.  She's having nightmares etc.

When offered a chance to go back, she initially refuses, but after waking up from a nightmare she chooses to go on the condition that they're going there to "destroy them right, not to study, not to bring back, but to wipe them out."

From that aspect it becomes a kind of revenge thing.

Fast forward to the scene where ripley is in the nest with the queen, she torches the place and lays waste to the eggs.  Was this a reasonable thing to do - absolutely not - the place was going to blow up anyway but the reason Ripley did it was a carthardic (sp) thing - This was Ripleys revenge.

This fits in well with the end lines of the film:

Newt "Can I dream?"
Ripley "Yes honey, I think we both can."

Obviously implying that Ripley has now survived physically AND mentally.

Proj2501

Proj2501

Quote from: SM on Mar 16, 2010, 05:09:59 AM
Putting something in all caps isn't going to suddenly make it somehow factual.

OKAY.

SM

SM

QuoteThink about it. They just blew up a colony of Terraformers after surviving an ALien attack that killed numberous Marines. Thats not even to mention the Company or what the MIlitary would do to them...They are walking into an all around disaster.

What exactly are they going to do to them?

Four eyewitnesses - one of whom is a droid - all telling the same story about what happened and confirming Ripley's story from the first inquiry.  Plus the mission logs sent back to Sulaco.  More than likely they'll give them a stack of money to shut up and go and check on LV-426 to see if they can find anything.

Seeing as they didn't kill Morse (at least not right away) it'd be unlikely they'd kill Ripley, Hicks and Newt.  Especially considering their knowledge and experience.

stephen

stephen

I'd also like to add that the Marines didn't blow anything up.  The AP blew up as a result of the Dropship/APC crash explosion thingy majig.  Lets also not forget that the marines were sent in SPECIFICALLY because no contact had been made with the colony in a while and that they had Ripley's testamony.  They were already suspicious of what was going on.

Given the evidence the survivors had (they now have video and audio of everything that happened via the helmetcams) I doubt very much that anything would have happened to them.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: stephen on Mar 17, 2010, 04:48:11 AM
I'd also like to add that the Marines didn't blow anything up.  The AP blew up as a result of the Dropship/APC crash explosion thingy majig. 

On this note, I still find it humorous people question over this... We clearly see the dropship fly right into the AP and go BLAMMO in there.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed