Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 713,400 times)

BR1XER

BR1XER

I've always wondered whether the base, or roots, of the eggs ever provided mobility, albeit very slow, at a snail's pace. Actually, perhaps the base is like a snail's foot.  :o

Could explain the spatial arrangement of eggs we so often see in Alien, Aliens, etc. in locations distant from the queen's chambers. And how an 'emergency egg' laid by Aliens' Queen could gravitate to an area with more hosts.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Doc Dia Beetis on Jul 15, 2016, 05:27:43 AM
I've always wondered whether the base, or roots, of the eggs ever provided mobility, albeit very slow, at a snail's pace. Actually, perhaps the base is like a snail's foot.  :o

Could explain the spatial arrangement of eggs we so often see in Alien, Aliens, etc. in locations distant from the queen's chambers. And how an 'emergency egg' laid by Aliens' Queen could gravitate to an area with more hosts.
Those thick worm-like tendrils emanating from the egg base?I remember reading somewhere that their purpose was to extract nutrient from the ground (egg carpet) to sustain itself over an  indefinite period of time,keeping the facehugger within alive until a potential host made itself available.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I read a really interesting piece that says the Facehugger isn't actually alive at all while the Egg's inactive. Only when it detects a host does the Egg transfer all of it's remaining bio-electrical energy to the Facehugger, thereby sacrificing itself to bring its occupant to life at that point.

Would help explain how they apparently survived so long inside the derelict.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 16, 2016, 10:20:44 AM

Weren't the eggs held in stasis by that blue laser in the derelict?  And when Kane entered the egg silo, it got interrupted.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Jul 16, 2016, 11:19:07 AM

Weren't the eggs held in stasis by that blue laser in the derelict?  And when Kane entered the egg silo, it got interrupted.

I've always believed that.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 16, 2016, 08:42:30 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Jul 16, 2016, 11:19:07 AM

I've always believed that.

Likewise.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

I think Bishop did it.  Perhaps he didn't intend for the eggs to get loose, but he had conflicting directives which could have fried his brain a little.  Burke told him to bring the specimens back.  Dip let told him to destroy them.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I hate the Bishop-did-it idea. It completely undermines his character arc in the film.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

The only reason the idea of Bishop planting the eggs on the Sulaco exists is because of the ill-conceived premise of Alien 3.  The best solution is to erase Alien 3 from canon and then the egg question becomes a moot point.  As it should.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Let's not open that can of worms here.  :P

And the Bishop theory only makes the situation even more implausible.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 18, 2016, 11:19:44 AMThe best solution is to erase Alien 3 from canon and then the egg question becomes a moot point.

That's not the "best solution". That's the "fanboys hate the third film" solution.

But as Kelgaard says, can of worms...

Vermillion

Vermillion

I still think Bishop did it.

Notice the drop ship comes up from where Ripley and the eggs were....

He's a sneaky ass droid.  Programmed by the company.

At 0:40

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 18, 2016, 05:11:08 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 18, 2016, 11:19:44 AMThe best solution is to erase Alien 3 from canon and then the egg question becomes a moot point.

That's not the "best solution". That's the "fanboys hate the third film" solution.

But as Kelgaard says, can of worms...

Spoken like a true Alien 3 fanboy.   ;)

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 18, 2016, 10:38:41 AM
I hate the Bishop-did-it idea. It completely undermines his character arc in the film.

I don't think it undermines it.  Rather it enriches it.  I appreciate that you see Bishop as more or less a Disney character, but there is at least the potential of there being a lot more to this character.

I am not proposing a black and white treatment of Bishop, where he is either good or bad.  Rather he could be treated much more "grey-scale" and ambiguous.  As I mentioned before, he does have conflicting instructions.  There is a very valid reason to collect specimens.  If he truly wants to keep humanity safe, then he can do that the best way through researching the aliens.  Hence bringing back some eggs makes sense, and it is not evil.  But he also recognizes the risks so he tries to keep them away from Ripley, Hicks and Newt.  In this way, he follows the orders of Ripley and Burke.

But, in truth, I still prefer the solution of removing Alien 3 from Canon.  It's just a convoluted and contrived film that did more harm than good.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 18, 2016, 10:38:41 AM

Yeah, it's a dumb theory that only nitwits believe since Bishop never had a plausible opportunity to go off searching for eggs.

Vermillion

Vermillion

He set the drop ship down in the egg level.  Pick one up.
Then flew back up and got Ripley Newt and the Queen just in time!

But then again.  I don't like Alien 3 because they killed off two of my fav Characters. 

C'est la vie. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed