Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 712,540 times)

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Pn2501 on May 09, 2011, 11:57:35 PM
Don't worry the cameron apologists will be here soon. ;)

Haha :P

SM

SM

QuoteSecondly, the facehugger still couldnt possibly know where the cryoroom is and even more so, open the doors to it (and the cryoroom was on a different level as far as I know, so it would also have to use elevator).

Fairly sure all the areas we see on the Sulaco are on the one level - and even if they're not - a hugger suddenly can't climb?

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on May 09, 2011, 11:59:53 PM
QuoteSecondly, the facehugger still couldnt possibly know where the cryoroom is and even more so, open the doors to it (and the cryoroom was on a different level as far as I know, so it would also have to use elevator).

Fairly sure all the areas we see on the Sulaco are on the one level - and even if they're not - a hugger suddenly can't climb?

I think its safe to say cry chamber has doors and it would be a stretch to suggest a facehugger know how to open electronic doors which btw probably arent even powered during hypersleep

Pn2501

Pn2501

Being a military ship It would have contingencies to stop the crew getting compromised whilst asleep.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Pn2501 on May 10, 2011, 12:14:23 AM
Being a military ship It would have contingencies to stop the crew getting compromised whilst asleep.

But the energy has to be conserved. For example the novelization talks about Narcissus conserving energy by powering only crucial elements. Even the doors werent powered. That would most likely be the case with Sulaco. And of course, powered or not, we're talking about a giant ship with multiple levels, elevators and doors with electronic doorlocks. To say a facehugger would just go around the ship opening doors is stretching it iof you ask me, but if someone finds it plausible, good for him

Pn2501

Pn2501

The narcissus was an escape pod that makes sense to conserve energy.

SM

SM

QuoteI think its safe to say cry chamber has doors and it would be a stretch to suggest a facehugger know how to open electronic doors which btw probably arent even powered during hypersleep

The cryotubes, lockers and galley were all one big room.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on May 10, 2011, 12:27:53 AM
QuoteI think its safe to say cry chamber has doors and it would be a stretch to suggest a facehugger know how to open electronic doors which btw probably arent even powered during hypersleep

The cryotubes, lockers and galley were all one big room.

And you tihnk this room wouldnt have ANY doors being out in the open or an extension/part of the docking  bay? All rooms on Sulaco were big, so was the mess hall, and so the doors are big, as weve seen on Sulaco in the docking bay. The point is facehugger had to have used plenty of doors and maybe even elevators in a ship which is in sleep mode to get what it was

SM

SM

QuoteAnd you tihnk this room wouldnt have ANY doors being out in the open or an extension/part of the docking  bay?

Don't know without checking the film again.

QuoteThe point is facehugger had to have used plenty of doors and maybe even elevators in a ship which is in sleep mode to get what it was

Because of course Aliens really hate ducts.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on May 10, 2011, 12:51:06 AM
QuoteAnd you tihnk this room wouldnt have ANY doors being out in the open or an extension/part of the docking  bay?

Don't know without checking the film again.

Im talkin about the big hangar doors which Ripley closed

QuoteThe point is facehugger had to have used plenty of doors and maybe even elevators in a ship which is in sleep mode to get what it was

Because of course Aliens really hate ducts.

Fair point

SM

SM

QuoteIm talkin about the big hangar doors which Ripley closed

The ones that lead to the storage bay?  Doubt they lead anywhere else.

keylight-di

keylight-di

But... Can't we leave it without explanations? I always liked it like this. Mysterious thing. Destination... Like in Greek tragedy, no matter what you do, no matter how much are you trying to escape this, to avoid it - it reaches you, keeping you in cold grip. Because it's the worst nightmare, and nightmares don't need explanation.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

The Alien isn't literally a nightmare. It's a very scary physical being with physical limitations. That's why it's scary, because we can invest in it as a real danger before the credits roll. It's not a ghost, and the egg on the Sulaco continues to be the most barefaced nonsensical and unbelievable plot device in the series.

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on May 10, 2011, 01:48:06 PM
The Alien isn't literally a nightmare. It's a very scary physical being with physical limitations. That's why it's scary, because we can invest in it as a real danger before the credits roll. It's not a ghost, and the egg on the Sulaco continues to be the most barefaced nonsensical and unbelievable plot device in the series.

I guess, you get me wrong... I know that Alien it's Alien, creature with acid blood etc., etc... So I didn't think about things like some dumb magic, no.. please.... :( But we seriously can't have explanations for many questions. Like why they can climb walls (what about gravitation? ;) ), what they eat (if they eat), how is possible to use DNA by species based on silicon etc., etc. again. We can make many discussions in many threads about subject like this, but we simply have no knowledge about it, no tips.
Because they are in fact fictional characters and they are created for some reasons.

They behave like directors wanted, they look like directors wanted. We have to agree for it. Or not.

But on the other hand, as fictional characters they have double meaning. If spectator watches Alien movie like horror, he/she can find dangerous, not understandable creature.
But if you look for deeper meaning in these movies (I know that you know what I'm talking about, the whole sexual, almost Freudish meaning and other meanings also), you can find it there too. For me personally Alien Saga never was horror movie, maybe when I watched Alien the very first time, as a child. These movies are deeper, with many levels of meaning. Depending on the knowledge that you have - you can find there more and more.

So for me every movie it's the story about destiny, fear, and helplessness in the face of the inevitable. This is why I used comparison to Greek tragedy. As metaphor.

This is why I don't need explanations for some question.

And I never forget about other meanings also. There are too many levels to describe them here, not right place and you know about it as well. But these movies aren't only about scary physical being IMHO.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Sure, but I don't think that defying the laws of time and space with magical teleporting eggs makes the Aliens any more of a credible threat. That egg didn't get there through some mysterious biological ability, it got there because the filmmakers said it had to be there and hoped people wouldn't think about it.

When I watch Alien3 my suspension of disbelief gets shattered in the opening credits - if you can roll with it as fantasy, I'm happy for you, but it still goes completely against the rules established in the first two films.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed