Do Xenomorphs eat?

Started by shadowedge, Aug 19, 2012, 06:25:57 PM

Author
Do Xenomorphs eat? (Read 4,953 times)

shadowedge

shadowedge

Does anyone know if xenomorphs need to eat? I do not recall them ever eating their victims in the films, other than when they burst out of their chest.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

One was eating a person in AVP:R - or at least it looked that way.

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: ScardyFox on Aug 19, 2012, 07:18:43 PM

I watched the DVD commentary with the brothers, that scene come, and they said something along the lines of "Remember, in Alien: Resurrection, you see an Alien eating a human." I don't recall the scene, but I've only seen the movie once.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

That's because it didn't happen. Maybe they meant Alien 3? There's a scene near the end where it looks like the Runner could be eating a guy, during the final chase through the prison.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Oh yeah, I remember that one now, Asylum.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yup. Also set inthe script as 'devouring Vincent', I believe.

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

Quote from: Prime113 on Aug 19, 2012, 07:28:07 PM
Quote from: ScardyFox on Aug 19, 2012, 07:18:43 PM

I watched the DVD commentary with the brothers, that scene come, and they said something along the lines of "Remember, in Alien: Resurrection, you see an Alien eating a human." I don't recall the scene, but I've only seen the movie once.

Yeah, the brothers said they did it as a reference to AlienĀ³. To me though, the alien in AvPR didn't even look as if it was eating the guy it had killed; it was just puncturing his body with its inner mouth. I'd say AlienĀ³ is the closet that we'll ever come to see an alien eat something.

swarm87

swarm87

in the book steel egg juvenile xenos got into a 500lb vat of ground chuck and supposedly are chunks of metal after regurgitating some acid to soften it up, other than that and the guy the runner ate in 3, i think thats the only time. but everyone is too busy trying to survive i dont think they take the time to check food-stores and wonder where the hole in the wall came from

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Given how acidic their blood is, I think they can eat and metabolize virtually anything.  Remember, they didn't appear to eat the dead hosts in Aliens.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Not that we've seen the entirety of the corpses, or even know how many times they eat in a specific time period.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Their rapid increase in biomass has to come from somewhere.  You'd think a newly born chestburster would immediately start devouring its host to bulk up to humanoid size within a day, but apparently they don't.

What does SM think about all this?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: RaisingCane on Oct 04, 2012, 09:15:55 PM
Their rapid increase in biomass has to come from somewhere.
Nutrients absorbed from host.

At least assuming they do eat. Alien3 and everything, but with Prometheus on the table everything could be reconsidered.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If they do eat, I think it's a lot like how Jeff Goldblum's Brundlefly does it.  Not sure how Prometheus enters into it.  The cobra thing had acidic blood too and could theoretically eat dirt to gain mass.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Also black goop might be another potential food source.

I heard something about the alien in ALIEN not eating the host after bursting because it was shocked at everyone looking at it, and went to look for refuge.  However, the alien in ALIEN 3 would seem to dispute this theory, as it did not eat its host despite the fact that nobody was there.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

If they eat like Brundlefly, their teeth would serve no purpose.

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Oct 04, 2012, 09:26:48 PM
However, the alien in ALIEN 3 would seem to dispute this theory, as it did not eat its host despite the fact that nobody was there.
And then went on to nom him sum prisoners.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed