Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 237,473 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 08, 2014, 06:57:27 PM
Just re-read Gibson's first draft introduction and you're correct. Wonder how that was possible? Did her tail somehow infect him or did he smuggle some form of alien tissue or DNA up with him inside his body?

I think it was supposed to mean that the queen's tail injected Bishop with genetic material capable of developing into a viable egg.  The Anchorpoint techs scraped samples of it from Bishop's legs and cultured it in the their science lab.  IIRC, the UPP did the same with samples they took from Bishop's upper half.

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 08, 2014, 06:58:41 PMI think it was somewhat implied by Gibson that both synthetics and Aliens were artificial creatures.

Even if the aliens aren't synthetic, their biology suggests that they can metabolize inorganic materials.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Been too long since I read either version of the script.  I seem to recall them weaponizing the spore very easily because it was easy to manipulate.  Basically like piecing together a biological weapon.  Hence the infection being so much worse (at least in the original script).

But I can't remember exactly how it all went down. 

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Interesting...

Anyone know how Kane's son infected Dallas and Brett in the DC?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

One can only speculate.  However, since it actually killed Brett, the aliens can apparently even make use of dead bodies for reproduction.  This might even help to explain why the dog alien never hesitated to kill its victims in Alien 3.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on May 08, 2014, 12:13:34 PM
Quote from: stephen on May 08, 2014, 04:09:44 AM
Quote from: SM on May 08, 2014, 12:56:31 AM
If you wanted to go further into areas that Cameron never considered or intended - the Queen rescuing an egg mirrors Ripley rescuing Newt.

It could also be at that point that the queen realises the predicament and takes off after Ripley, with egg, specifically in order to get out of the place.  Maybe the queen could have seen Ripley as an ideal way for the queen to escape.

Assuming there is intelligence there, the queen could have been "playing" ripley, making Ripley run, so the queen could follow her, the queen realising that Ripley is her escape route.

food for thought.

Nah.  If there was real intelligence she woulda legged it four hours earlier.

But the place only started falling apart towards the end.  Four hours earlier not much was happening regarding explosions etc.

SM

SM

The emergency venting had started, meaning there would've been alarms going off in the AP.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on May 08, 2014, 11:19:14 PM
The emergency venting had started, meaning there would've been alarms going off in the AP.

Why weren't there alarms going off in the colony?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on May 08, 2014, 12:56:31 AM
Why isn't it "practical"?

Because the arms are the wrong dimensions/proportions. They don't have the correct reach to nestle something in between the spikes. She wouldn't have been able to do it the least bit easily (if even at all).

I'm also unsure an egg would fit in between the dorsal spikes without simply falling off between the gaps. :)

QuoteShe's protecting the egg with her body, thereby having a good chance of perpetuating her species since she doesn't have an egg sac any more AND leaving both arms free.  Well, all four really.

If you wanted to go further into areas that Cameron never considered or intended - the Queen rescuing an egg mirrors Ripley rescuing Newt.

The most practical course of action would be for her to use the smaller arms. They're the right size, are probably used for egg movement in her early development and her body stance would help them be protective of the egg 'cargo' carried beneath. While I do think it would have made for an interesting mirrored subtext, as you say, I just don't see it as terribly realistic, given what we see.

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 08, 2014, 06:30:23 PM
No, the one about the queen oozing out a glob of goo that congealed in the subflooring of the hangar bay and then grew into the egg we saw.

Again, if she can do that, why does she naturally grow an egg sack? There'd be no point in it even existing.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

unless it lets her rapidly produce eggs whereas not having one wouldn't.

SM

SM

QuoteWhy weren't there alarms going off in the colony?

Same reason there were alarms going off when Ripley got to the AP and no alarms at the colony when they left.

"Crashed caused too much damage."

Even in the future nothing works!

QuoteBecause the arms are the wrong dimensions/proportions. They don't have the correct reach to nestle something in between the spikes. She wouldn't have been able to do it the least bit easily (if even at all).

She fit herself in to the landing gear bay without any major issues.  They're nothing if not limber, and thems is some mighty long arms.

QuoteI'm also unsure an egg would fit in between the dorsal spikes without simply falling off between the gaps.

It was hanging upside down at the start of Alien3.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 09, 2014, 12:48:29 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 08, 2014, 06:30:23 PM
No, the one about the queen oozing out a glob of goo that congealed in the subflooring of the hangar bay and then grew into the egg we saw.

Again, if she can do that, why does she naturally grow an egg sack? There'd be no point in it even existing.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 12, 2012, 04:41:51 AM
Well, the egg sac would allow for the rapid production of fully functional eggs.  This method would be much slower.  Theoretically, a soldier alien could produce eggs the same way.

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 09, 2014, 12:54:30 AM
unless it lets her rapidly produce eggs whereas not having one wouldn't.

:D

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The most sensible conclusion I've ever come to is that she simply carries an egg aboard in her smaller arms. Of course we can see this isn't the case in Aliens, but I still think it's a far more sensible idea than her somehow balancing one on her back or magically pooping one out even though she has no egg sac.

It's all academic really, because it still doesn't explain how she managed to get the egg to some random location on the Sulaco and pin it upside-down to the ceiling.

SM

SM

Carrying one with the smaller arms makes no sense as Ripley is armed and eggs are flammable.  Might as well paint a big red bulls eye on it.

If it's stuck to her back/ wedged between the dorsal spines, she is able to protect the hugger inside with her bulk.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

But by the time she confronts her on the landing pad she knows Ripley's out of juice for her flamethrower.

Like I said, as a theory it's still got more holes than Swiss cheese, it's just the one I buy into the most.

SM

SM

The Queen doesn't know Ripley's out of fuel until she tries a couple of bursts in the lift.  And she's obviously not carrying an egg with her small arms.

My theory may be a retcon - but it's impossible to disprove because we never see the Queen from the back.  And it's about the same amount of retcon as the start of Alien3 itself.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed