Post Your Collection

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Dec 11, 2006, 04:44:31 PM

Author
Post Your Collection (Read 861,113 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Why don't you swing by a hobby/craft shop? Ask them?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

That's a good call. I'm just a little cautious because the trays basically have the consistency of the crappy plastic that holds the chocolates in a chocolate box (only a bit thicker), so I'm wary of putting anything on it that'll melt of mark it.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 15, 2015, 07:52:46 AM
£49.99 (20 quid less than it was when it came out new ;D )

It's got a couple of signs of wear - the trays that hold all the stuff inside have come unglued from the inside of the case, and one of them has a small crack in it, so you have to be careful opening it - but everything else is tip-top. I found the booklet that comes with it to be surprisingly interesting - as well as reviewing the three films it's got a piece apparently written by Cameron explaining the differences between the Aliens SE and the theatrical cut.

Even got the t-shirt with it, still wrapped, although it's an XL so I won't be wearing it :)

When I got mine it was without the T-shirt everything else was there. Its one of my favorite pieces though the condition was not exactly as advertised on ebay. Even with pics you can be deceived. I'm more careful now when buying from the internet. One of the biggest scams is for the seller to tell you "they had a no payer"..when its a friend of theirs bidding up the item. And you can have it for your last bid...well if their(no payers) last bid is no good...then all their bids are no good and you should be able to purchase the item for the highest bid prior to them bidding. Point this out to the seller. They always relist it hoping to find another sucker. People actually brag about doing this in my shop. Having friends bid up their items. Grrr >:(

Vark_

Vark_

Found this plaque on Ebay, a simple piece of metal-looking ABS, but really nicely done (laser-crafted).
Adds a shiny touch on my M41 wall mount  :). (size is approx 4" by 3")

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

After getting distracted for a while buying silly pieces of Alien merchandise I really don't need, I finally got back to buying my way through the old novels.

I've now added Music of the Spears to my Aliens pile, and kicked off the Predator series with Concrete Jungle and Cold War.

But seriously, what's the deal with Perry's novel of Berserker? Did they just not print very many? The other books have been as easy as pie to get but that one's proving to be a real pain in the arse. I haven't seen any on eBay at all and the used ones on Amazon cost a freaking bundle!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Berserker was the last book they did and certainly seems to have been in limited quantity. It took me ages to find a copy and I think I eventually found one for £15.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Fair enough, I shall keep my ear to the ground. Predator: Big Game seems to be a similar story, from my searches it doesn't look like that was published in the UK at all, although I've found some US copies for not much monies.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've yet to buy it myself but it never cost much when I checked on eBay.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It's not as bad as Berserker, but considering I've been able to find plenty of copies of the other books for around £2 it's noticeably less common and more expensive.

windebieste

windebieste

Look wot arrived in the mail today...

It's a Gentle Giant Alien. 

The box is enormous and it more or less emulates the original Kenner Productions package to a satisfying degree.  It does feature some notable differences in its dimensions, graphics, inserts and construction method and materials from the original 1979 pressing.  Regardless of which, it's a fantastic modern interpretation of the original windowed package. This is an absolutely amazing presentation for the ridiculously large figure to be found inside.

Now, about that figure...  How about we get it out of the box and check it out..?

Wow! Lookit that!

The Alien itself is almost an exact replica of the the original 1979 Kenner action figure.  Except it's kinda bigger.   Well, a lot bigger, actually.   On its own it's almost too easy to mistake it for the original Kenner figure without any direct comparison.  There are minor discernible differences but it's inspirational source is undeniable.  You do have to be familiar with the original figure and look closely to identify any anomalies.   To be fair, though, the figure presented here is accurately scaled up by 25% making it a whopping 2 feet tall! 

So yes, it's massive.  MASSIVE! 

Unfortunately, this image doesn't really give it any sense of scale, which is where the major differences between it and the original lie.  So let's see how it stands up next to one of the older 1979 figures, shall we? 

So here ya go.  The original Kenner Products Alien is on the right.  Aint she dainty by comparison? 

All the features present upon the older figure can be found upon the Gentle Giant.  The legs, wrists and tail each move around spindle joints.  The arms possess the same range of movement via a tensioned ball and socket arrangement.  The finger operated spring loaded trigger at the back of the head activates the jaws and tongue.  It even has a glow in the dark paint job on its skull to complete the nasty visage. 

I spent over an hour taking a ton of photos of the Gentle Giant figure.  By the time I'd finished the task I'd become familiar with its outlandish size and the Kenner figure felt small by comparison.  It was a weird sensation becoming so habituated within such a short time to the enormous Gentle Giant figure that the original felt small when I went to pick it up.  Despite the original being 18", it felt diminutive after handling this enormous interpretation of the Big Chap!  Wow...

I am so totally stoked at this item.   It was discounted by the vendor by 20% and while it still wasn't cheap, it was totally worth purchasing it at the price I got it for. 

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 28, 2015, 01:46:33 AM
Look wot arrived in the mail today...

It's a Gentle Giant Alien. 

The box is enormous and it more or less emulates the original Kenner Productions package to a satisfying degree.  It does feature some notable differences in its dimensions, graphics, inserts and construction method and materials from the original 1979 pressing.  Regardless of which, it's a fantastic modern interpretation of the original windowed package. This is an absolutely amazing presentation for the ridiculously large figure to be found inside.

Now, about that figure...  How about we get it out of the box and check it out..?

Wow! Lookit that!

The Alien itself is almost an exact replica of the the original 1979 Kenner action figure.  Except it's kinda bigger.   Well, a lot bigger, actually.   On its own it's almost too easy to mistake it for the original Kenner figure without any direct comparison.  There are minor discernible differences but it's inspirational source is undeniable.  You do have to be familiar with the original figure and look closely to identify any anomalies.   To be fair, though, the figure presented here is accurately scaled up by 25% making it a whopping 2 feet tall! 

So yes, it's massive.  MASSIVE! 

Unfortunately, this image doesn't really give it any sense of scale, which is where the major differences between it and the original lie.  So let's see how it stands up next to one of the older 1979 figures, shall we? 

So here ya go.  The original Kenner Products Alien is on the right.  Aint she dainty by comparison? 

All the features present upon the older figure can be found upon the Gentle Giant.  The legs, wrists and tail each move around spindle joints.  The arms possess the same range of movement via a tensioned ball and socket arrangement.  The activation trigger at the back of the head activates the jaws and tongue.  It even has a glow in the dark paint job on its head to complete the nasty visage. 

I spent over an hour taking a ton of photos of the Gentle Giant figure.  By the time I'd finished the task and became familiar with its outlandish size, the Kenner figure felt small by comparison.  It was a weird sensation becoming so habituated within such a short time to the enormous Gentle Giant figure that the original felt small when I went to pick it up.  Despite the original being 18", it felt diminutive after handling this enormous interpretation of the Big Chap!  Wow...

I am so totally stoked at this item.   It was discounted by the vendor by 20% and while it still wasn't cheap, it was totally worth purchasing it at the price I got it for. 

-Windebieste.
Very nice!I'm still waiting on the NECA 2015 Big Chap.

windebieste

windebieste

Yeah, about that new Big Chap, NECA, how about hurrying along with that?

You remind me of an ex girlfriend of mine...  Always promising the goods but always running late.

-Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

Oh, yeah.  Meant to add this. 

I only own about 4 'Star Wars' figures.  Let's see... the big 15" Darth Vader and a few 3 3/4 " items: R5D4 and a Luke in X-wing pilot costume.  Uh, and Greedo.  Can't forget Greedo.  One of my all time favourite Star Wars characters, along with Gonk!  I wouldn't mind getting a Gonk! one day.  Who doesn't love Gonk!, right?  Anyway, here's the 3 3/4" Greedo in the clutches of the 24" inch tall Gentle Giant Alien.

It's OK.  You can shoot first, Greedo.  No one is going to mind this time but in the wise words of the sole survivor of the Hadley's Hope incident, "It won't make any difference."

At this scale, the Gentle Giant Alien sure would make a great alternative to the rancor in Jabba's basement. 

-Windebieste.

Rogue_Predator

Rogue_Predator

Small update ;)

windebieste

windebieste

Here's the good ol', ever reliable 1978 Kenner Greedo facing off against the 2013 ReAction Alien.   The Alien is 4 1/2 inches tall.  He's a decent size for figure of the 3 3/4 inch range.  Even Greedo pushes close to 4 inches.

Shoot, it Greedo!  SHOOT IT!!!   Haven't you seen 'ALIENS', Dude? 

Bah! Don't shoot first, see if I care.  To paraphrase Vasquez, 'You always were a dumbass, Greedo!'

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed