The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 236,162 times)

The Alien Predator

Looking forward to hearing your review and any possible interviews with Tim, Hicks.

What took you by surprise?  :P

Corporal Hicks

Spoiler
McIlveen getting shanked like that.
[close]

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 08, 2016, 12:54:12 PM
Spoiler
[close]

I wasn't expecting that either.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 08, 2016, 12:54:12 PM
Spoiler
[close]

To be perfectly honest, I kinda saw that coming.  :P It was a badass moment and I literally cheered inwardly when it happened. Lebbon foreshadowed it throughout the book several times.

The biggest hints were that
Spoiler
he was obviously a company man, the second hints were his loyalty to the company. So I wasn't too surprised to see him turn on them. He almost came off as a Burke to me, but not a greedy kind of Burke. More like a loyal one who wanted the job done.
[close]

Ultramorph

I actually thought
Spoiler
that Lebbon would subvert our expectations and have McIlveen turn out to not be a bad guy. Wasn't expecting him to go full Wren and try and hold everyone at gun point.

Do we think that Mains and Lieder will get rescued again, or do we think they're gone for good this time?
[close]

The Alien Predator

Spoiler
I highly doubt Mains and Lieder will be rescued. Lebbon did tease us, he reminds us how they couldn't figure out the ship on UMF 12, but this one, Lieder was more familiar with it and just when we think she'd be able to figure it out, Aliens have breached it already...

And no, the Othello has been completely destroyed by the nukes that Mains and Lieder set off in their last moments. Beatrix Maloney hears of the Othello's destruction later on.

I know Incursion pretty much made it seem like they were screwed, but trust me man, this time they WERE screwed. I am willing to bet that they are deader than a dodo.

If they show up in Armageddon and I am wrong, then I shall donate myself to the nearest Alien hive for facehugging.

And regarding your earlier question, I loved the Xenomorphs with the exopacks on their backs to help them breathe in space. That was an interesting twist.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

That end!

Spoiler
As if my ship is going to responsible for helping devastate Sigourney Weaver's planet!
[close]

Quote from: The Alien Predator on May 08, 2016, 05:24:34 PM
Spoiler
I highly doubt Mains and Lieder will be rescued. Lebbon did tease us, he reminds us how they couldn't figure out the ship on UMF 12, but this one, Lieder was more familiar with it and just when we think she'd be able to figure it out, Aliens have breached it already...

And no, the Othello has been completely destroyed by the nukes that Mains and Lieder set off in their last moments. Beatrix Maloney hears of the Othello's destruction later on.

I know Incursion pretty much made it seem like they were screwed, but trust me man, this time they WERE screwed. I am willing to bet that they are deader than a dodo.
[close]

Yeah, I'm in complete agreement with you there. The definitive
Spoiler
destruction of the Othello makes it seem quite unlikely they'll have survived it.
[close]

The Alien Predator

YES! I was waiting for you to reach the end, Hicks, I knew you were gonna love it muhahahaha!

While reading this book, I couldn't help but think...
Spoiler
does the Covenant class as a Fiennes ship? From the sound of it, the Fiennes ships as well as the Covenant both seem to be hauling a huge amount of people to distant worlds.

And who the heck signs up for that? None of this stuff ends up well... you either end up being biologically violated on the genetic level by David, or the Rage... depends on your luck.  :P

Also as a fan of Star Trek, what did you think of them using terms like "Warp-15" and such?

Also did you guys catch the Star Wars reference? It's official, Star Wars exists as an in-universe movie!
[close]

j0w

Maybe top of the line gear for fighting other humans with the same plans and rules..Not when
Spoiler
The other team is bringing down guys classic(for the time) paratrooper style and has air support
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Alien Predator on May 08, 2016, 08:09:48 PM
YES! I was waiting for you to reach the end, Hicks, I knew you were gonna love it muhahahaha!

Haha! I was like "what?!"  :laugh: :laugh:

QuoteWhile reading this book, I couldn't help but think...
Spoiler
does the Covenant class as a Fiennes ship? From the sound of it, the Fiennes ships as well as the Covenant both seem to be hauling a huge amount of people to distant worlds.

And who the heck signs up for that? None of this stuff ends up well... you either end up being biologically violated on the genetic level by David, or the Rage... depends on your luck.  :P
[close]

Whilst I acknowledge that The Rage Wars are intended as canon at the minute, I don't expect the films to acknowledge anything from them in the slightest. I'd say they're obviously intended as similar concepts but I don't expect to hear the Covenant be called Fiennes ship at all.

And adventurous people do! You don't got into it with the assumption you're going to meet a horrible end!  :laugh:

QuoteAlso as a fan of Star Trek, what did you think of them using terms like "Warp-15" and such?

Made me double-take thought it doesn't fuss me too much either way.

QuoteAlso did you guys catch the Star Wars reference? It's official, Star Wars exists as an in-universe movie!

No? Prey tell?

The Alien Predator

When Mains is talking to Durante, Durante mentions an "old flat movie" (I assume that means screen movie rather than holographic movie) about a group of people who land their spaceship on an asteroid but it turned out to be the mouth of a giant space worm.

Corporal Hicks

Ah, yes. I remember now.  :laugh:

Ultramorph

I was tickled by the Stephen King reference!

The Alien Predator

What was the Stephen King reference again?

Ultramorph

Mains tells Durante that he thought he was more a Stephen King guy when they're talking about what Durante is reading.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed