The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 235,646 times)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: happypred on May 02, 2016, 02:46:51 PM
Yautja sill limited to blades and shoulder cannons?

Their space ships are quite formidable.

happypred

I take that to mean their infantry still sucks...

Their space ships got raped in Book 1.
I guess that's a small improvement

Ultramorph

We don't see their infantry that much in this book, but they handle themselves well when we do.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: happypred on May 02, 2016, 04:09:31 PM
I take that to mean their infantry still sucks...

Their space ships got raped in Book 1.
I guess that's a small improvement

Marine ships get raped by the Rage here... and then when the Predators show up, even the Rage get a taste of true power.

Like I said before, the Marines were destroying hunter jeeps in space, not tanks.  :)

Ultramorph

I really hope that Lebbon keeps writing books set in this far future. I would love for him to write a Prometheus/Alien novel. Something self-contained maybe, like WY finding a Juggernaut and trying to exploit it.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 02, 2016, 05:23:28 PM
I really hope that Lebbon keeps writing books set in this far future. I would love for him to write a Prometheus/Alien novel. Something self-contained maybe, like WY finding a Juggernaut and trying to exploit it.

Yeah. I wouldn't mind if he set it another 100 years in the future, or more (depending how devastating Armageddon will be), to the point where humans have mostly recovered and the Rage War is something taught in history class.

Then we can explore how much humans know about the Engineers. They're probably just as mysterious, if more so, than the Yautja.

I wanna see the Arcturians, they've been mentioned in Aliens, Role Playing Adventure (kind of), Sea of Sorrows, River of Pain, Alien: Invasion. And a human police force on Arcturus was mentioned in one of the older Alien books and now Invasion solidifies that there are human settlers coexisting with the Arcturians in yet another one line reference.

It's about time they show up! Give us some Arcturians damn it! I wanna see them explored.

predxeno

predxeno

Sorry BeowolfSchaefer, while I liked OOS, if you didn't then you'll probably not like The Rage War.  TRW definitely isn't my cup of tea; it has laser guns, plasma weapons, and nano-tech launchers, stuff not even A:R had.  To me at least, it reads more like a comic book than a legitimate novel.  Also:

Spoiler
I wish they kept the original idea of having other aliens control the Xenomorphs to attack both Predators and humans; having humans control Aliens just seems unnatural in the face of all the other stories regardless of fans' opinions of canon on them.
[close]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Alien Predator

Quote from: predxeno on May 02, 2016, 08:20:01 PM
Sorry BeowolfSchaefer, while I liked OOS, if you didn't then you'll probably not like The Rage War.  TRW definitely isn't my cup of tea; it has laser guns, plasma weapons, and nano-tech launchers, stuff not even A:R had.  To me at least, it reads more like a comic book than a legitimate novel.  Also:

Spoiler
I wish they kept the original idea of having other aliens control the Xenomorphs to attack both Predators and humans; having humans control Aliens just seems unnatural in the face of all the other stories regardless of fans' opinions of canon on them.
[close]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I liked that original idea too. Hopefully something like that is explored in the future though.

happypred

I hope book 2 focuses on fewer characters. That was a problem...IMO...of book 1

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on May 02, 2016, 08:20:01 PM
TRW definitely isn't my cup of tea; it has laser guns, plasma weapons, and nano-tech launchers, stuff not even A:R had.  To me at least, it reads more like a comic book than a legitimate novel. 

That's the wrong description. It's more like a different genre of science-fiction than we're used to with Alien and Predator. It's more like hard military sci-fi.

Spoiler
[close]

I am slightly with you on that. One of the things that drew me to the EU in the first place is the exploration of new alien series and etc. I'm hoping we get to see some more of the dog-aliens or their masters. Whilst I would have loved to have seen another new alien species with a fleshed out background, I absolutely love the Rage so I'm not that fussed about the change.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 29, 2016, 11:04:18 PM
I've liked the battle scenes so far. The Rage is making good use of the xenos. Have you gotten to the part where
Spoiler
the xenos go EEV with breathing apparati?
[close]

I thought that one was a little strange. People tend to perceive the Aliens as being able to operate fine in space so I'll be curious to see Tim's thoughts behind that one.

I'm just about 150 pages in now. Recently met the Alien experts. I really hope they stick around.

Quote from: happypred on May 03, 2016, 01:50:22 AM
I hope book 2 focuses on fewer characters. That was a problem...IMO...of book 1

Agreed. The first 100 pages or so has a few random character chapters but it seems to have settled now.

Darkness

Don't know if you guys posted this or not but I just realised there's audiobook versions for Predator Incursion and Alien Invasion on Amazon too. I guess these will be on my to do list too.

j0w

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 01, 2016, 05:31:26 PM
The Predators and their alliance with the humans was handled very well in this book, and I also liked how Lebbon handled the xenos.

Based on some of what was being set up in his volume, I think that
Spoiler
Book 3 will end with the drop-holes being shut down and humans being split into warring factions, each with their own weaponized xenos. That would be quite a new status quo.
[close]

I like where you are going with this but I always like to place my bets on a certain figure who/which has sat out most of the action so far.
What you say and this figure will feature(my guess) in 3 a lot more. 

The Alien Predator

I am wondering when can we expect a synopsis for Book 3? Maybe June or July. My only complaint about these books is the long wait between them!  :P

SM

Quoteit has laser guns, plasma weapons, and nano-tech launchers, stuff not even A:R had

They had laser guns in Alien and this is set over 300 years after Resurrection and the marines in it have the top of the line gear.

Corporal Hicks

Just finished Chapter 18. I wasn't expecting that. Took me by surprise.

Quote from: SM on May 08, 2016, 07:55:24 AM
Quoteit has laser guns, plasma weapons, and nano-tech launchers, stuff not even A:R had

They had laser guns in Alien and this is set over 300 years after Resurrection and the marines in it have the top of the line gear.

And by all accounts the Auriga was taken out of mothballs and it was all done on the down-low.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed