Blomkamp's Alien 5 Ideas?

Started by RabidNinja, Feb 19, 2015, 10:17:55 AM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 Ideas? (Read 13,853 times)

RabidNinja

RabidNinja

Personally, i'd very much like to see WY take a MUCH more menacing approach as a genetics company, as we havent really seen them do much aside from A:R just to understand the concept of how the xenomorph works. And by menacing approach, I mean, use subjects OTHER than humans, similar to that of the xeno king or Kenner toy line; That shit was the BEST  :laugh:  Anyway, it'd be nice for them to popularize the toyline once again with some the kickass creations, especially the gorilla xeno ;)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The evil megalomaniac company trope should be left to video games.

I prefer them to operate in the grey area, like they did in the first three films, or the first two especially.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 10:57:33 AM

I prefer them to operate in the grey area, like they did in the first three films, or the first two especially.

Yeah, i'd rather that WY just be a thing there and not so much be the guys being evil for evils sake.

Might be interesting to take a page out of Heart of Darkness, though. Some USCM types taking control of specimens to find their origin and destroy them, and in the process being overrun by them. Good intentions that go awry would be better than playing the card for evil.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'd personally like it to leave all that behind. I want a character study of Ripley 8 and her connection to the Aliens.

irn

irn

The WY badness should remain as the background story rather than being a main push in the plot. Also I think it should be implied that it's a group within WY that has undesirable intentions rather than the whole company as the "big corporations are just ever so evil!" trope is more than worn out now.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I don't want to whole focus to be "teh company is evilz!" That being said, I would absolutely love to get a more in-depth view of WY or any other company and see just how they operate in this world.

That being said, I don't want to see the company in a positive light either. By their very nature, mega corporations on this universe seem to be absolutely indifferent to the general population. We're dollar signs, investments. Protect us, build us homes (on better worlds), but at the end of the day it's all about that tax writeoff and beating out the competition.

If the concept of the artificial habitat and decommissioned Derelict ship is anything to go by, we might actually be getting to see that.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: irn on Feb 19, 2015, 01:17:03 PMThe WY badness should remain as the background story rather than being a main push in the plot. Also I think it should be implied that it's a group within WY that has undesirable intentions rather than the whole company as the "big corporations are just ever so evil!" trope is more than worn out now.

Reminds me of the first RoboCop, where the old man running OCP wasn't necessarily evil, he's just morally grey. It was a couple of the guys under him who were the villains.

Of course in the sequel they made him a fascist, but it was nice while it lasted.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

All of my THIS.

Nightmare Asylum

RoboCop is very OTT in its portrayal of just about everything, though. The whole film is heavy satire. Much like some of Blomkamp's work, actually.

The Alien films are very much representative of certain things going on in the real world, but for the most part they tend to deal with metaphor in a more subtle, realistic way.

Not that one option is better than the other. Just acknowledging the difference and which style feels more appropriate in this series.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 01:26:04 PM
Of course in the sequel they made him a fascist, but it was nice while it lasted.

Yeah, but it also gave us one of the best lines in motion picture history.

"This may not look good for OCP Johnson... Scramble the best spin team we have!"  :laugh:

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I 100% agree with this completely although I would prefer them to be grey in video games as well, like in
Spoiler
Alien Isolation, where it is just apollo's bad interpretation of the morally neutral orders that causes mayham, Nina Taylor and Samuels both work for the company and aid Ripley.
[close]
. I really am getting sick and tired of the whole evil company angle, its just too silly. Alien was supposed to be set in a gritty, realistic universe, not a place for card-carrying villians.

Reminds me of the first RoboCop, where the old man running OCP wasn't necessarily evil, he's just morally grey. It was a couple of the guys under him who were the villains.

I actually found him to be a lighter shade of morally grey, His intentions for delta city was seemingly to help the city and get rid of crime, he looked shocked and pissed when he found out one of his employees was murdered by Dick and rather than treat Robocop as a machine, he simply said "nice shooting son, what's your name?"  treating him as a person rather than product.
Of course the sequel came along (which Peter weller hated) and turned them all evil.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I have to admit, as much as I don't want it in the films, I do quite enjoy the evil company thing in the AVP games. There is something undeniably fun about how psychotically counter-productive it is. "I know, let's 'promote' colonists to Xenomorph test subjects! Their family probably won't ask any questions..."

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I can agree there is some fun and unintentional humor due to the stupidity of it but I kinda of like the games to be taken as seriously as the films and thus given the same dark, gritty and realistic universe like in Isolation, not the "campy super villian" angle. Mind you I would not mind it if they portrayed W-Y neutrally or even in a good light but showed one or two members of the board being corrupt and its them who is behind the unethical actions, not the company or the whole bio-weapons divison, just corrupt board memberd acting alone by using their own wealth to hire mercenaries and using android copies of bishop to trick everyone, even the company into follow orders.

But even then, its still the same plot over and over, someone wants the alien, alien can't be controlled, alien kills people......women inherit the earth.  :laugh:

Magegg

Magegg

- Half-Aliens sequel, half-standalone story.

- Ripley and Hicks are alive with no explanation, they're simply alive, Hicks scarred, probably Newt could be around, they're investigating the xenos.

- As for he continuity, I'd like it to remain kind of ambiguous, just like X-Men Days of Future which is a movie you can actually start watching no matter if you only saw the first two X-Men movies (Xavier is alive, Magneto is there, Wolverine has his adamtium claws and everything), you don't even have to have watched X-Men First Class.

- No mentions of Alien 3 or Resurrection, kind of mentions of Aliens or at least leave it for granted (because of Hicks's scars and stuff).

- In other words, simply a sort of reboot/alternate universe, just no worries about continuity as long as Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop are there alive and well.

- Just sit down and enjoy the freaking movie.

- Haters gonna hate.

Oh, and I'd also like to see finally executed on big screen the idea of the xenos taking over Earth (AVPR doesn't count).

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2015, 12:50:49 PMI'd personally like it to leave all that behind. I want a character study of Ripley 8 and her connection to the Aliens.
IMO, half-alien Ripley 8 was a bad idea, I can compare her to psychic Alice from Resident Evil, simply a stupid idea made to make her more of an action heroine and inject more action to a braindead sequel.

You know, I'm a huge Alien Resurrection lover, I think it's a terrific ride, but it just shouldn't have been an official canonic sequel, it felt much more like a comic book.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2015, 12:50:49 PM
I'd personally like it to leave all that behind. I want a character study of Ripley 8 and her connection to the Aliens.

I think it could kind of be very interesting. Her disconnection from the human race - which has become corrupt - the androids that seem more humane - and even her age. For instance - here's this character that has had to adapt or maybe has been subjected to all kinds of testing or even has been living in exhile and for years with the memory of these aliens in her blood. Now there's movement within the comapny and these Engineers... What does that do to her? She must be compelled to know the rest right? And what does the rest mean to her? What is she to the Engineers.
If A:R was about her loyalties crossing, this would be more about an orphan seeking out her biological heritage. Having been adapted to a human culture she was an alien too and raised within it. This all lends itself to Blomkamp's themes...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed