Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 21, 2019, 12:49:19 AM

Author
Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well? (Read 44,744 times)

SM

Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 25, 2019, 11:51:14 PM
Do Alien movies really need gore though?

I see people picking AVP-R over AVP because it was gorier. But is that really what makes it better?

Aliens are born from exploding out of peoples chests, then bite people in the head.

Predators cause carnage with their lasers and rip peoples spines out.

Yes, they do need a certain level of gore.

P-Rock

Quote from: SM on Mar 26, 2019, 10:25:30 AM

I see people picking AVP-R over AVP because it was gorier. But is that really what makes it better?

Aliens are born from exploding out of peoples chests, then bite people in the head.

You don't have to show the impact of the headbiting.

Most of the first three Alien movies are a (relatively) bloodless affair, except for one or two scenes. Things got gorey with Resurrection, AVP-R and Covenant. Prometheus doesn't have a lot of bloody scenes either.

Predator is a different story though, but the Alien movies never were about showing as much gore as possible.

SM

Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 26, 2019, 12:48:19 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 26, 2019, 10:25:30 AM

You don't have to show the impact of the headbiting.

Most of the first three Alien movies are a (relatively) bloodless affair, except for one or two scenes. Things got gorey with Resurrection, AVP-R and Covenant. Prometheus doesn't have a lot of bloody scenes either.

Predator is a different story though, but the Alien movies never were about showing as much gore as possible.

Setting aside the nonsensical "bloodless" - even "relatively" so - I said "a certain level of gore."

P-Rock

I don't think "a certain level of gore" would've made AVP any better.

SM

Considering where starting from a low base and the laughably dumb chestburstering of Rousseau and Sebastian - it can only have improved things.  Even if only slightly.  I'm talking about proper chestburstering - not some badly CGed blood in post.

Voodoo Magic

AVP would have been much better if it had egg barfing.

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 27, 2019, 01:17:16 AM
AVP would have been much better if it had egg barfing.

Say AH!

Samhain13

Voodoo Magic

Frosty Venom

The special effects have aged quite well. Both the cgi and the practical.

SiL

Honestly, yeah. The fake blood added to the unrated cut was never good, but the effects in the film proper have honestly stood up pretty well.

The Kurgan

Indeed.

It was on sometime the week before and i was honestly suprised that they stood up that well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed