Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 207,406 times)

Sabby

Sabby

I'm not quite sure where to put this, or whether I should at all... I remember ages ago I started a topic about Scientology, and that got some rather good discussion going, so I think this topic has an audience here.

Let me just start by saying that yes, I am an Atheist.

Atheism deals in what you believe. Example, I think the God of scripture is unlikely to exist.

Agnosticism deals in what you don't know. Example, I have no way of knowing if the God of scripture is real or not.

You can be both Agnostic and Atheist at the same time. Example, I am not convinced by your claim that God exists, but I cannot say it is impossible.

Personally, I am a strong Atheist and an Antitheist. Strong Atheist means I am thoroughly unswayed by any God claims made to me, and am more inclined to believe that Gods do not exist in any form. Antitheism, however, is more of a social position then a theological one, meaning opposition to organized religion in society.

I'll hold off on explaining my reasons for my positions just now, as I'd like to open the floor to other members.

Are any members of AVPGalaxy Atheist?

Aspie

Aspie

I can respect this.

I am an Atheist.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

I'm an agnostic.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Atheist here as well. I don't believe any of the magical spiritual stuff that was shoved into my face as a kid. I lol every time my mom forgets that I don't believe in god or any of that stuff. Only other thing I can add is that I stopped believing once I was halfway through 8 years of age.

Terx2

Terx2

Atheist and Agnostic here. I undestand people who do believe in god. I have friends of different religions and I respect them. I Just don't like being forced that kinda stuff down my throat.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

Agnostic Apatheist.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on Sep 01, 2013, 05:01:45 AM
Agnostic Apatheist.

Now that's a new one to me o.O Wiki'd it. Atheism is a very big topic with me, so learning something new is always nice.

Does anyone subscribe to any Youtube Atheists? Thunderfoot, AronRa, DPR Jones, Matt Dillahunty, Logicked, NonStampCollector, Potholer, ect.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 01, 2013, 05:09:10 AM
Does anyone subscribe to any Youtube Atheists? Thunderfoot, AronRa, DPR Jones, Matt Dillahunty, Logicked, NonStampCollector, Potholer, ect.
I don't know. I don't really pay much attention to a user's belief, and I personally think if you have an entire channel based around your beliefs you're just being asinine.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 01, 2013, 05:09:10 AM
Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on Sep 01, 2013, 05:01:45 AM
Agnostic Apatheist.

Now that's a new one to me o.O Wiki'd it. Atheism is a very big topic with me, so learning something new is always nice.

AronRA, and The Amazing Atheist for me.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I'm Catholic

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 01, 2013, 05:16:12 AM
I'm Catholic

How does the old Catholic guilt feel

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: RazorSlash on Sep 01, 2013, 05:14:38 AM
I don't know. I don't really pay much attention to a user's belief, and I personally think if you have an entire channel based around your beliefs you're just being asinine.

Okay, if a Youtube channel based on your beliefs is asinine, what does that make creating a world spanning, tax exempt organization based around your beliefs? If one is asinine, then the other must be more so by your logic.

This is one of my main issues, organized Religion being cultural background noise. People tend to look at it differently then they do other entities like corporations or governments, and there's no reason for this other then generations of taboo over questioning it.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on Sep 01, 2013, 05:16:56 AM
I'm Catholic

eh, 9/10 times I don't suffer from this. I'm an extremely laid back Catholic, my best friends is an Atheist, Christian and Agnostic respectivly, and my girlfriend identifies as Wiccan. I don't regularly go to church and I believe that there's no way we're the only life in the universe. I recognize and admit that science answers a lot, but nothings ever shaken my beliefs.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 01, 2013, 05:22:29 AM
Okay, if a Youtube channel based on your beliefs is asinine,
I said if you make an entire channel based on your beliefs in general, is being asinine. Someone could make an entire "LOL I'M AGNOSTIC ISN'T THAT GREAT" channel and I'd still find them asinine. We separate people by race and religion far too much.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

He implied that any channel that details it's beliefs, non-theistic or theistic is asinine.

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 01, 2013, 05:24:39 AM
Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on Sep 01, 2013, 05:16:56 AM
I'm Catholic

eh, 9/10 times I don't suffer from this. I'm an extremely laid back Catholic, my best friends is an Atheist, Christian and Agnostic respectivly, and my girlfriend identifies as Wiccan. I don't regularly go to church and I believe that there's no way we're the only life in the universe. I recognize and admit that science answers a lot, but nothings ever shaken my beliefs.

I was raised Catholic so I know it well :p

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed