Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 306,321 times)

seattle24

seattle24

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 10, 2021, 09:16:59 AM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 10, 2021, 06:15:27 AM
Well, for local NA wildlife that can do a Predator some damage would be bears, wolves, bobcats, and cougars. Not much, but it would have some interesting fights.

Not much ? A big bear could totally wreck a pred IMO.

I'm glad someone has said this. Hand-to-hand, a Grizzly would annihilate a Predator - I say this fully aware one creature is fictional and the other exists here in the present day.

Was fortunate enough to see a couple of Grizzlies in Whistler and they are the real deal - terrifying.

Has the potential to be a great match-up on screen.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 10, 2021, 01:32:28 PM
Hmm. I don't know. Against a human, sure. But often bullets cannot even guarantee to pierce a Predator's hide, what can Wolf teeth really do? And Predators are so much heavier and solid than humans. I can imagine a Predator can lumber around with three wolves hanging onto him by their teeth gnawing away hopelessly. Wolves just seem more of a nuisance to a Predator than a threat.

As I mentioned previously, a wolf pack would most likely harass a Predator, but a wounded one, that has been sliced open by a bear, would probably be different. 

Predators are massive, but I can imagine a pack of 12 or so doing some damage to one.  Also, check the bite force of a Timberwolf.  If one can bite through moose bones in a couple of chomps, I'm sure a pack can inflict some damage to a injured Predator.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Honestly think a predator with his claw and skills has a better chance of winning than a bear which is more brute force.

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 10, 2021, 06:15:27 AM
Well, for local NA wildlife that can do a Predator some damage would be bears, wolves, bobcats, and cougars. Not much, but it would have some interesting fights. Its kind of why the idea of a Predator hunting right at the end of the Ice Age sounds like a great stand alone story to me, seeing how there was so much more deadlier wildlife back then like terror birds, short faced bears, dire wolves, sabertooth cats, american lion, and so much more, with the addition of a true first Predator encounter with ancient man. It was simply such a more brutal place to be around.

For reference, this is a short faced bear which can be around 12-15ft tall standing up and hit the pounds by +1,000

This can definitely give the Predator a good hunt

That's right. Animals were a lot bigger then.
And there were all kinds of strange hybrids which would make nice replacements for mythical animals.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 10, 2021, 12:21:19 PM
I would love to see a film capture something like this. A Predator on the hunt for prehistoric creatures. A story of hunt and survival. 80-90 minutes long. A movie with no dialogue. Think Josh* Brolin out in the desert in "No Country for Old Men".

Damn would that be an expensive movie though.  :laugh:  One can dream I guess. Better to animate it perhaps, or develop it as a video game.

* name correction edit

You could add cavemen into the mix, so there be more and different viewpoints through the movie.
They find the ravaged (headless) remains of a large animal that has no natural enemies, along with some strange prints and green stuff. They decide to track it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Sep 10, 2021, 07:13:18 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 10, 2021, 12:21:19 PM
I would love to see a film capture something like this. A Predator on the hunt for prehistoric creatures. A story of hunt and survival. 80-90 minutes long. A movie with no dialogue. Think Josh* Brolin out in the desert in "No Country for Old Men".

Damn would that be an expensive movie though.  :laugh:  One can dream I guess. Better to animate it perhaps, or develop it as a video game.

* name correction edit

You could add cavemen into the mix, so there be more and different viewpoints through the movie.
They find the ravaged (headless) remains of a large animal that has no natural enemies, along with some strange prints and green stuff. They decide to track it.

Errr... cavemen make me nervous. Not in general sense, they don't haunt me in my dreams or anything lol.... but it seems to be very hard to depict primitive cavemen on screen without a section of your audience viewing them as a source of comedy, no matter how hard you try to keep the tone serious. So personally, I'd pick a route without them. :)

SiL

SiL

That's how I feel about sasquatch.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Sep 10, 2021, 08:34:13 PM
That's how I feel about sasquatch.

For me I believe the modifier here is how scary you make it. The less friendlier and goofy you design your Sasquatch... the less you depict it like Harry from "Harry and the Hendersons"... the less risk. 

The more frightening you depict your Sasquatch monster, the more scary it becomes... the more threatening foe... and there's no risk of comedy at all (unless the suit looks bad of course)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 10, 2021, 08:52:34 PM

For me I believe the modifier here is how scary you make it. The less friendlier and goofy you design your Sasquatch... the less you depict it like Harry from "Harry and the Hendersons"... the less risk. 

The more frightening you depict your Sasquatch monster, the more scary it becomes... the more threatening foe... and there's no risk of comedy at all (unless the suit looks bad of course)
This thinking applies to cavemen too.

Still a goofy idea to me.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 10, 2021, 08:02:19 PM
Errr... cavemen make me nervous. Not in general sense, they don't haunt me in my dreams or anything lol.... but it seems to be very hard to depict primitive cavemen on screen without a section of your audience viewing them as a source of comedy, no matter how hard you try to keep the tone serious. So personally, I'd pick a route without them. :)

I didn't use the word primitive.
By cavemen I mean homo sapiens, not some neanderthal type with a big forehead. 
Basically it'd be skilled hunter/gatherer types like the native Americans we'll get to see in Skulls but with less fancy clothing, art,...

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 10, 2021, 01:32:28 PM
Wolves just seem more of a nuisance to a Predator than a threat.

Not if they bite him on the nuts.

Master Chief

Master Chief

The further we go back in time, the easier the "humans" would be to kill. They shouldn't even be worthy. 

Quote[...]the less you depict it like Harry from "Harry and the Hendersons"... the less risk.
Bro, Harry would destroy a Predator in hand to hand combat. As would a bunch of Timberwolves.  :P

nanison

nanison

Humans are crafty sons of bitches. They hunted down mammoths...
Neanderthals were probably a lot smarter than we think as well not too mention a lot stronger.
I personally don't think cavemen behaved like half apes, homo sapiens have always been well homo sapiens, intellectually capable, they weren't dumber than people are now. Put a modern human on a deserted island with no modern tools and no knowledge of things he read in books and he is no different than a human being of 150 000 years ago, surviving on his wits, trial and error but by logical thinking.
You can easily resurrect a human of 200 000 years old and teach him how to drive a car.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Master Chief on Sep 11, 2021, 01:42:21 AM
The further we go back in time, the easier the "humans" would be to kill. They shouldn't even be worthy. 

In this hypothetical scenario it's about a Predator hunting large now extinct animals.
The humans are only there to observe and serve the story.

Let's say some find a dead mammoth* missing his head and spine. Along with a few strange prints and some green stuff.
The early humans would be surprised because it takes a group of them working together. They're the only people around so who or what could've done this?
So they go out to try to track this mysterious being.

Master Chief

Master Chief

I understand what you're saying, but if a Predator can easily dispatch our best now, how could any of those curious hunters even come close to killing a Predator? All they had were sharp pokey things.

Quote from: nanison on Sep 11, 2021, 02:05:49 AM
Humans are crafty sons of bitches. They hunted down mammoths...
Neanderthals were probably a lot smarter than we think as well not too mention a lot stronger.
I personally don't think cavemen behaved like half apes, homo sapiens have always been well homo sapiens, intellectually capable, they weren't dumber than people are now. Put a modern human on a deserted island with no modern tools and no knowledge of things he read in books and he is no different than a human being of 150 000 years ago, surviving on his wits, trial and error but by logical thinking.
You can easily resurrect a human of 200 000 years old and teach him how to drive a car.

I hear you, fam, but there is no way those mammoth hunters would even come close to killing a Predator. This is just my opinion, of course.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Master Chief on Sep 11, 2021, 03:40:24 AM
I understand what you're saying, but if a Predator can easily dispatch our best now, how could any of those curious hunters even come close to killing a Predator? All they had were sharp pokey things.

I don't think you do. Apologies if I'm not clear enough.
The hunters aren't going to hunt a predator. They're gonna look for whatever killed that other animal, out of human curiousity. 
But the main storyline would be about a predator hunting animals.

The humans are there to serve the story. As narrators and camera viewpoints.
Like maybe one of the hunters says early on "It's hotter than usual for this time of the year". And later on some tribe elder says "When I was young my elders told tales about the god of hunters coming down to Earth..."

Otherwise it'd be a movie with just the predator hunting animals, without any dialogue or humans present.

SiL

SiL

Dutch beat Anytime by dropping a log on its head. I am 100% sure a situation could occur where gravity + heavy thing = neolithic humans beating a Predator.

It was kind of the point that only Dutch's resourcefulness and knowledge of more primitive skills (with a spicy dash of luck) saved him.

"But Predator tech!"

They can fly across space. They shoot plasma. They turn invisible. They don't get killed because they lack the tech necessary to defeat us, they get killed because they go out of their way to make it sporting. Wind us back a few thousand years and see them leaving the plasma casters and shurikens at home.

I could dig it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed