New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 118,118 times)

Voodoo Magic

^ Cool!  :)

Thomas Brothers explained Predator 2 is the "bible" for the Predator character. They are a race of sports hunters. They do have a system of honor and code, per them. Like American hunters believe they have honor, when they go to church on Sundays after slaughtering defenseless animals with high powered weapons in camouflage on Saturdays.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 24, 2020, 02:41:42 AM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Nov 24, 2020, 02:37:32 AM
When did everyone go anti lore all of a sudden?

Guess they are just The Predator fans....

I'm an Alien fan. I love Predator 2 though.
Ah makes sense how watered down they want it.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 24, 2020, 02:43:47 AM
I'm a fan of the movies (mainly the first two, especially the second, and to some degree Predators) but I am not so much a fan of the "lore" and franchise surrounding them. Especially stuff like The Predator and the AVPs, what with all of these factions and ranks and whatnot.

Sci-fi horror in general is something that I absolutely love, though. And I love westerns as well, so if this new one can play into those elements and synthesize them into something that really delivers, then hardcore Predator fan or not, that sounds like a film that I can very much get into.

I mean, what is the point of having a unique alien race if they are just wearing the "kill everything" hat. Why should a highly intelligent and cognitive race should not have some degree of interesting culture and lore that differentiate itself from other aliens and creatures in media?

Again, the kill everything mentality works on Aliens but we are talking about Predators here. You can't fit that mindset on those beings. They aren't a hivemind like the xenos are.

Alien fans should just leave Predator lore be.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Nov 24, 2020, 02:49:48 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 24, 2020, 02:41:42 AM
When did everyone go anti lore all of a sudden?

Guess they are just The Predator fans....

I'm an Alien fan. I love Predator 2 though.
Ah makes sense how watered down they want it.

Jurassicvania

Damn that really sucks, I completely understand his dissappointment. Its so rare we get a cool reveal unless we're sleeper fans, and have total appreciation for a creator with a vision.
Still, totally excited

Voodoo Magic

When did everyone go anti-lore all of a sudden?

I thought the appeal was they weren't the slandered take over the world aliens or slasher monsters, that they had a unique culture with a code of honor and various technology and ideologies. Otherwise they are no better than the regular serial killer.

Precisely. 100%  This what differentiates Predators from the hundreds of other monsters that want to kill, kill, kill, draw blood, blood, blood, eat flesh, flesh, flesh. Cause I'm an evil psychotic monster grrrrrrr!!!

Nightmare Asylum

I always got a bit of a serial killer vibe from the first couple films. The Predators are clearly here to have fun doing their thing - they want to kill some folks, collect a few skulls, and either go back home with their trophies or blow themselves up if they get bested. Some of them definitely have some degree of respect for their prey if it puts up a good fight (hence the first one stripping down to fight Dutch on "even" terms, and the leader in the second film giving Harrigan the pistol after he took down a Predator himself), but I wouldn't call any of that an "honor system"  so much as it is just some personality traits for individuals in the species.

The first film especially operates on the premise of "what if this action movie suddenly turns into a slasher film halfway through?" so I think there is some merit to the serial killer/slasher comparison in regards to the Predators, with each individual Predator having a unique personality of its own to some degree.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 24, 2020, 03:04:38 AM
I always got a bit of a serial killer vibe from the first couple films. The Predators are clearly here to have fun doing their thing - they want to kill some folks, collect a few skulls, and either go back home with their trophies or blow themselves up if they get bested. Some of them definitely have some degree of respect for their prey if it puts up a good fight (hence the first one stripping down to fight Dutch on "even" terms, and the leader in the second film giving Harrigan the pistol after he took down a Predator himself), but I wouldn't call any of that an "honor system"  so much as it is just some personality traits for individuals in the species.

The first film especially operates on the premise of "what if this action movie suddenly turns into a slasher film halfway through?" so I think there is some merit to the serial killer/slasher comparison in regards to the Predators, with each individual Predator having a unique personality of its own to some degree.
So is a series not allowed to explore or evolve into something more complex?
Additionally, who is to say that it is just personality traits?
Jungle Hunter was in no position to give Dutch anything due to being at death's door, so by the time it wanted to give Dutch something, it would have expired from its wounds and leaving its body to be exposed to humanity. Destroy itself now while it has the chance.

skhellter

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 24, 2020, 02:46:28 AM
^ Cool!  :)

Thomas Brothers explained Predator 2 is the "bible" for the Predator character. They are a race of sports hunters. They do have a system of honor and code, per them. Like American hunters believe they have honor, when they go to church on Sundays after slaughtering defenseless animals with high powered weapons in camouflage on Saturdays.

Which is perfect, really.

A lot of the EU lore felt like it was just setting up excuses to have humans team up with predators, though.

As far as the "serial killer" vibe.. have that change on an individual basis.
Seeing how different they can be is part of the fun of these movies, anyway.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the team-up myself.  :)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 24, 2020, 03:04:38 AM

I'll let Stephen Hopkins answer this...

QuoteThe first film especially operates on the premise of "what if this action movie suddenly turns into a slasher film halfway through?" so I think there is some merit to the serial killer/slasher comparison in regards to the Predators, with each individual Predator having a unique personality of its own to some degree.

And I'll drop the Thomas Bros comments here...

skhellter

"..they are pure"

MURDER.  ;D

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Nov 24, 2020, 03:09:23 AM
So is a series not allowed to explore or evolve into something more complex?

Of course it is allowed to do that. I'm just speaking from my personal experience and offering my own opinions. I've personally found most subsequent expansions of the Predator lore/mythology to lessen the impact of the original films to some degree (and concepts like the "Yautja" or the whole, well... whatever it was going on in The Predator) to tarnish my interpretation of the species as a whole. So me, personally, I would like to see a more "back to basics" approach to the Predator in the new one, with the new Predator having a personality of its own, its own killing style, etc. The Predators in Predator and Predator 2 felt like two different individuals that hunted differently and went about things in their own way, and I liked that a lot.

Like I've said earlier in the thread - I have no vested interest in Predator as a franchise; I really like some of the movies, but that's the extent of it for me. I'm just really hopeful here for a cool sci-fi/horror/western hybrid, based on the "Skulls" premise that was announced. And if I wind up not liking the movie, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Quote from: skhellter on Nov 24, 2020, 03:15:08 AM
As far as the "serial killer" vibe.. have that change on an individual basis.
Seeing how different they can be is part of the fun of these movies, anyway.

Yep. As long as it doesn't all feel like one homogenous culture where they're all operating on the same "code," I'm down for just about anything.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 24, 2020, 03:19:50 AM
Of course it is allowed to do that. I'm just speaking from my personal experience and offering my own opinions. I've personally found most subsequent expansions of the Predator lore/mythology to lessen the impact of the original films to some degree (and concepts like the "Yautja" or the whole, well... whatever it was going on in The Predator) to tarnish my interpretation of the species as a whole. So me, personally, I would like to see a more "back to basics" approach to the Predator in the new one, with the new Predator having a personality of its own, its own killing style, etc. The Predators in Predator and Predator 2 felt like two different individuals that hunted differently and went about things in their own way, and I liked that a lot.

Like I've said earlier in the thread - I have no vested interest in Predator as a franchise; I really like some of the movies, but that's the extent of it for me. I'm just really hopeful here for a cool sci-fi/horror/western hybrid, based on the "Skulls" premise that was announced. And if I wind up not liking the movie, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I'll admit, I do find you opinion a bit difficult to understand, only because recent lore simply adds a more cultural and ideological look on why they hunt. It still doesn't lessen the fact that these are creatures of highly advanced skill and technology with a bloodlust to go toe to toe with the most dangerous beings in the galaxy for sport. Its like Vikings and Spartans, they are extremely badass warriors but their culture doesn't make them any less interesting, rather if anything it enhances their interesting allure. I always love learning about the Norse Pantheon and Spartan Way of life cuz its just a different way of living. I guess for me, its the reasons why I like Mass Effect and starting to look into Star Trek, how much culture and lore of various alien species is always captivating for me. I mean, you mentioned that you think they already have this serial killer vib, but the interesting part is that in their mind, its very normal way of life for them. Its not man vs man, in story telling terms, rather human vs alien culture/morals. Its fascinating!

The Predator....I agree with ya on that, it was just trash.

And as for Predator Skulls, I agree with ya on that sentiment. I don't mind and rather welcome a back to basics approach of a group of warriors fighting an invisible killer that hunts the most dangerous beings in existence for sport. Hybridization, bigger Predators, modern day military, and all of that jazz had overstayed too much in the Predator story telling. Its about time we get a story in the past with people facing Preds with lower tech than us. Not to mention that as you said a sc-fi horror/western is rare in movies these days that this is also a great step to take in filling a rare niche. I wanna see the work too. 

Speaking of which, I remember that Vikings used to have settlements in North America long before colonialism empires came about. Would be cool to see Comanche/Viking warriors vs Predator. Make the fight a bit more fair seeing that it has a plasmacaster and a smart disk. Wonder what kind of weapons will be brought to the table for the film?

BlueMarsalis79

Looking at the wider Predator existence's missing the point in my opinion, Predator at its best walks a fine line in understanding what it's doing enough to nearly grasp the fundamentals but not entirely, I think of the last thing King Willie says before he's decapitated or Anna's iconic monologue, memorable and mythical because of the actions taken, their appearance, and violence. Then only leaving stories in their empty wake, the kind of thing that might be waiting for you down that old alley, wherever in the world.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 23, 2020, 03:50:19 PM
I don't think it makes any more or less sense than male or female dominated professions, or just straight up work locations. I can walk into certain locations at work and find nothing but one gender or the other. I can walk into others and find mostly woman with 1 or 2 blokes. And the same reversed. It's a none issue for me.

I guess it's hard for me to imagine that scenario in the Alien Universe, unless it's a small scale isolated movie, which is totally fine. I suppose you could argue it's the reverse Alien 3.

Personally I still think Aliens best shot is on TV. 

Galactus123

This sounds really interesting. I have always wanted to see a Predator movie set in the past.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed